Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:21 AM

490 posts, read 660,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
How do you know that the spouse is of opposite gender? Why would you assume that unless it is specified by using a specific pronoun or a name?
uhh whenever somebody talks about their spouse, they must use a pronoun(husband or wife) or a name("boy" name or "girl" name). that's just basic English.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:21 AM

395 posts, read 374,626 times
Quote:
How do you know that the spouse is of opposite gender? Why would you assume that unless it is specified by using a specific pronoun or a name?
They usually say a pronoun such as he or she when referencing them. I've rarely heard someone refer to their spouse as "it."

Old 03-23-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I know you're a late arrival, but if you would read the thread, you would find answers to all your questions.

Students being aware that I have a spouse does not = discussions of sexuality. Students who are aware that I am married are not aware because of conversations I've had with them.
I've read the thread. must've forgot what you said. forgive me?

you didn't answer my question.

students being aware that he is gay does not = discussions on sexuality

Old 03-23-2015, 12:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
So what would your response be if they asked you if you had a husband or kids?
To say that I am married and don't have kids. Which, incidentally, was the same response given by my gay male team teacher, as noted previously in this very thread.

Neither of us has had discussions with students about our respective sexuality. I don't consider answering in the affirmative that I am married (or engaged, as was the case at one point) to be "holding a discussion with students about my sexuality," though you're certainly welcome to disagree. It also wasn't a response my gay teammate shied away from, himself. His partner also taught with us at the time.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:27 AM

All the rest of you need to re-read the thread as well. I've clearly stated I've no intentions of discussing my sexual interests or going into detail about my homosexuality. However, students knowing I'm gay should not be a negative thing, and it is likely they will find out somehow even if I don't tell them.

Outside of work in the community, I've not very secretive about who I am.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:29 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
They usually say a pronoun such as he or she when referencing them. I've rarely heard someone refer to their spouse as "it."
The original question was that a student might ask a teacher if he or she were married, not voluntarily discuss their family life. The answer could be yes or no. The teacher may choose not to add more details and just cut it short because the next question could be after "no," Are you divorced? And a teacher may feel that is not a student's business either.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:31 AM

What I'm saying is teachers are often open about their sexual orientation more indirectly, such as referencing their spouse. Usually they will have a pronoun in that reference.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
To say that I am married and don't have kids. Which, incidentally, was the same response given by my gay male team teacher, as noted previously in this very thread.

Neither of us has had discussions with students about our respective sexuality. I don't consider answering in the affirmative that I am married (or engaged, as was the case at one point) to be "holding a discussion with students about my sexuality," though you're certainly welcome to disagree. It also wasn't a response my gay teammate shied away from, himself. His partner also taught with us at the time.
Well to be honest, I do agree that your answer is the best answer if you want to be as opaque as possible. Yet in my educational experience as a student I see you as an anomaly. Most teachers give a little more info than that and i feel it is up to the teacher to decide what minor details(such as a name) they want to say regardless of sexual orientation. and I find it hard to believe that students never ask you his/her name or try to delve deeper.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
students being aware that he is gay does not = discussions on sexuality
Exactly. Anymore than my students being aware that I am not.

However, his past threads have detailed him informally counseling students privately who he observed to be struggling with issues of sexuality, which is fairly out of the scope of a struggling student teacher who has been given feedback already on questionable judgment. So it's not just "students will see the Pride sticker on my car or read my activist blig posts and then what?" concerns at work, here.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
The original question was that a student might ask a teacher if he or she were married, not voluntarily discuss their family life. The answer could be yes or no. The teacher may choose not to add more details and just cut it short because the next question could be after "no," Are you divorced? And a teacher may feel that is not a student's business either.
Would it be taboo if a straight teacher while answering this question were to say their spouses name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching