Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 08:48 PM

395 posts, read 374,626 times

Advertisements

Again, I already said I learned my lesson about answering personal questions from students given that the more you tell them, the more personal they keep getting, so I already pretty much decided that the most they're going to know is I have no spouse, no children, and that's about it, which is no different than teachers who state they are married or reference that they do have children.

Students ask me on a daily basis almost if I have a girlfriend, or if I'm looking to date anyone, etc. It may shock some of you, but I'm not making it up. Middle school students want to know a lot more than they really need to.

They ask me about my religious beliefs even and I don't answer those questions either.

However, it's not likely that no student is ever going to find out under any circumstances that I'm gay. It just wouldn't be realistic. That is asking not only to keep my personal life private at school, but to not ever tell anyone in the community that I'm gay where it would somehow end up getting back to a student. Also, I have a gay pride sticker on my car as well as a Darwin fish and other bumper stickers about being a skeptic. People can find out a lot about me also from the community as my beliefs are pretty much well known from articles and campaigns I'm involved in.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
If you have had a mentor, then you should have heard the term CYA many times by now. Also Document, Document, Document.

In case you haven't thought about it, kids these days record their teachers in class and upload the clips to YouTube before the teacher even knows what is going on. They don't care whether it is appropriate or legal. I'm careful not to say anything that I wouldn't want on the World Wide Web. Think about it.
and stating that gay couples are no different than straight couples shouldn't be anything you should be embarrassed to have put on the web, as I know I wouldn't.

I've heard cover your ass many times, and it is pathetic that this is what this profession has become to be honest. I want to be a teacher, not an ass kisser.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:02 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Wow. Your bias is showing. What "type" are the minority student? Care to explain?

I think ALL teenagers can be jerks about anything involving teachers.
How am I bias? It's true. I even speak this as a minority and I'm a millenial (I am Chicano). When I was in school, the biggest tormentors to the teachers were black-american males and Chicano males (although not to the same degree as Black males. And for gays? The same as well. The children of SWPL whites were passive aggressive but didn't torment teachers directly and if they did, it was mostly for a teacher giving them a bad grade.

Other posters here have said the same thing. I'm only saying this because I recently left high school (2012) and I know how things go. I'm not saying Anglos or East Asians are better behaved (I saw plenty of morons from these ethnic groups). I'm only saying which were the biggest offenders. Sorry I don't conform to your politically correct bull**** liberal beliefs but I'm saying the truth. Amongst certain minority men, there's far less tolerance for any sort of behavior that looks "gay" or feminine. Hell, I received torment from my own fellow kinmen because I am not the stereotypical Chicano and fit in more with middle class anglos.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
Again, I already said I learned my lesson about answering personal questions from students given that the more you tell them, the more personal they keep getting, so I already pretty much decided that the most they're going to know is I have no spouse, no children, and that's about it, which is no different than teachers who state they are married or reference that they do have children.

Students ask me on a daily basis almost if I have a girlfriend, or if I'm looking to date anyone, etc. It may shock some of you, but I'm not making it up. Middle school students want to know a lot more than they really need to.

They ask me about my religious beliefs even and I don't answer those questions either.

However, it's not likely that no student is ever going to find out under any circumstances that I'm gay. It just wouldn't be realistic. That is asking not only to keep my personal life private at school, but to not ever tell anyone in the community that I'm gay where it would somehow end up getting back to a student. Also, I have a gay pride sticker on my car as well as a Darwin fish and other bumper stickers about being a skeptic. People can find out a lot about me also from the community as my beliefs are pretty much well known from articles and campaigns I'm involved in.
Dude, life ****ing sucks. If you were born gay, then you have to go by the rules of handling heterosexual ruled society if you want to live amongst heteros and work with them. We all have to conform one way or the other in all societies. Me for example, have to conform to WASP society even though I am a Hispanic Catholic male. Do I like it? No, I don't but I have to if I want to be successful here in the US. You have to do the same. Nobody here says go to those stupid bull**** therapies ran by bible thumping evangelicals for gays. All we are saying is to keep your sexuality to yourself while on the job to avoid problems. It's as simple as that.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 PM

490 posts, read 660,337 times
Quote:

You really should just be blunt and honest about it. If a student asks you if you are gay simply answer yes. You should correct them if they ask you about the possibility of a girlfriend, tell them "I like am gay, but I don't have a boyfriend". You will get laughed at once in a while, but these are children and sometimes they can but innocently cruel.

You really should to do this. Honestly, I myself am gay and growing up with a confident gay image would of help me accept myself quicker. It also would of helped the heterosexual students realize that homosexuality is normal and that anybody might be gay. If you really want to be a great teacher, expose them to diversity, and teach them tolerance.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:34 PM

Are you being sarcastic here or do you really mean this?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:38 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
and stating that gay couples are no different than straight couples shouldn't be anything you should be embarrassed to have put on the web, as I know I wouldn't.

I've heard cover your ass many times, and it is pathetic that this is what this profession has become to be honest. I want to be a teacher, not an ass kisser.
It all depends on how you say it.

Just FYI, if you are untenured the principal can decide not to renew your contract (translated fire you) without having to give you a single reason. You end up on the web making comments that might, even just slightly, be possible of being offensive to even a one parent, chances are very high you are not getting your contract renewed and there is not a single thing you can do about it. Your career will be over, because trust me, word will get around that you are a potenial public affairs nightmare waiting to happen.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:43 PM

490 posts, read 660,337 times
Quote:
Are you being sarcastic here or do you really mean this?
Talking to me?

I am being completely sincere. Exposer creates acceptance. Directing them towards becoming tolerant individuals is worth way more than any academic subject you're teaching them.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
You really should just be blunt and honest about it. If a student asks you if you are gay simply answer yes. You should correct them if they ask you about the possibility of a girlfriend, tell them "I like am gay, but I don't have a boyfriend". You will get laughed at once in a while, but these are children and sometimes they can but innocently cruel.

You really should to do this. Honestly, I myself am gay and growing up with a confident gay image would of help me accept myself quicker. It also would of helped the heterosexual students realize that homosexuality is normal and that anybody might be gay. If you really want to be a great teacher, expose them to diversity, and teach them tolerance.
I nominate this post for lol post of the year. Do you know how cruel teenage boys can be towards dude who they perceive as "feminine" or gay? And even worse if they come from cultures that emphasis heavily on masculinity or perceived traits of masculinity (middle east, Latin American, black Americans)? To make matters worse, men don't mature mentally until they are in their late 20s and that's when they become more laid back and not as aggressive. I saw the cruelty first hand (it has been very recent) and I have been a few times taunted when I was in high school (luckily, I fought back and from then on, nobody messed around with me). You won't change teen men by force or preaching tbem like priests. They change by themselves with age.

You suggest playing priest mode and try to preach tolerance. That doesn't work and it never will. But I'll let you gay activists learn this the hard way. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:45 PM

Anything can be offensive to "one parent". I'm saying I really hope to not have to even get into this conversation, but I'm not going to allow any gay bullying because someone's religion permits it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching