Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 08:40 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,106,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Relax.

First, this is not a forum just for teachers. Other people do participate and are not tossed out, as you must have seen.

Second, you did not specify that you wanted only teachers to respond in either you subject heading or your first posting. If you wanted only teachers, it would have been a good idea to say so.

Third, there were only six posts before you bounded in again with your back up.
There is a very important topic that is extremely relevant to a TEACHING forum, with a lot of great discussion going on. Good thing you trying to act like the Teaching Forum Sheriff didn't derail it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 08:43 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,106,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Because the kids who might benefit the most from vouchers don't always have the choice (their parents have to make that choice). Because spending hours on a bus to get to a better school isn't always an option and isn't optimal. Because resources would be better spent improving the neighborhood schools so that more kids could benefit from the neighborhood school actually being a viable choice. Because private school spots will always be limited.

The public school teachers choosing to send their children to private schools probably still have a viable public school option, even if it's not what they think is the best for their kid. My kids go to private school and our public schools are a great option. The private school is a better fit, but at least I know I have that option.
Excellent post.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,736 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
It pretty much already is, in many public school districts. DeVos will only make it even worse.

...and that's the part that nobody talks about when they criticize public school teachers for sending their own children to private schools. Public school teachers know firsthand about all the BS that often gets in the way of truly educating children in the best ways possible, due to having to adhere to so many government regulations (think of all the endless standardized tests and having to teach to the test all year long, for one). So they know that at private schools, they don't have to have their own children subjected to all the government regulation BS that often gets in the way of actual teaching and learning.
DeVos may make a 'disruptive change' in USA education, but... with the herd of pigs feeding at the trough of USA Public EDU... it is very unlikely to improve the actual deliverable (Education)... That seems to have got lost in the system 30 - 50 yrs ago.

Teachers need to do what is right for THEIR own kids, and none of us WITH kids will argue that every kid is different and deserves the best learning situation that will edify them to excellence / contribution to society.

Public school may possibly be the correct formula for a few kids, but age and skill segregated learning is not a very comprehensive or holistic form of education.

But it is:
VERY simple!, Public Edu in USA is much like a cattle / hog / poultry feedlot and slaughter house, with a lot of direct correlation in the outcome.

I learned that about age 8... @ Dairy Farm Boarding School (and 4H)

So glad our family has been able to live and work internationally and engage in many other edu systems.

I wish DeVos the best.
It will take an innovator with a LOT of power to make a dent in the status quo. (unlikely to ever happen in this waning period of USA world domination. Of which USA public EDU has ushered in the demise of USA. ) Not tomorrow, but inevitable +/- for the USA and the world.

Surprise... The USA does not know everything (though we could know a LOT more if Public Schools were allowed to teach and to integrate societal benefits rather than dictate behaviors (Fast, simple, and cheap).

If you want to recognize the contribution of USA EDU... Hire a recent grad. Good luck! (Have a REALLY big Training budget and extra staff dedicate to EDU)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-29-2019 at 10:38 AM..

Old 01-30-2019, 10:34 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,054,943 times
Quote:
Excellent post.
ok, so if someone isn't a teacher, that person isn't capable of making the best possible choice for THEIR kid while taking the commute distance into account?

Old 01-30-2019, 10:48 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,267,142 times
I'm sure this has all been said but I'm gonna drop my 2.3 cents here anyway.

There are different kinds of private schools. The easier case is of a private parochial school. When I started out teaching, I was the one religious Jew in a public school (among both students and teachers). At that point, I had no children, but had I had any, I would have sent them someplace which could have given them the religious environment and experience which mirrored my family values and beliefs. Those aspects were absent from my classroom but I would want my children to have a different experience from what the parents of the students in my class wanted.

But what about a non-parochial private school? Well, as a classroom teacher, I don't have a say in budget. If the public school in my district has no lacrosse team, for lack of funds or players, or it has an orchestra but no jazz band, or it doesn't have funds for a dedicated college guidance department would it be wrong of me while I am providing the best English class to my students, to send my child somewhere where she can get all the extras that my school can't provide? Sure, she might not get the absolute best English teacher out there, but she wouldn't want to be in my class anyway.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:22 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
My son's Kindergarten teacher accidentally admitted to me that she moved to a farther away city because the schools are better in that far-away city. She was implying that the school she teaches at isn't good enough for her own children. Yes, hypocritical. She caught herself after she said that because she knew what her comment implied. But what do you expect? People do what they want. Just because they teach there doesn't mean their own children should go there too, and in the end, teachers need a job, regardless of where it is, and they have to take care of their family, first and foremost.

I live one block away from that school, yet I see my neighbor's children wearing private school uniforms, so they don't want to go to a school that's one block away from their house. This is also why there's so much traffic around. People are willing to drive further to get what they want.

It's like overweight doctors who tell you to eat right and exercise for your own health, yet they are overweight themselves. It's tough working in those types of industries; everyone expects you to take your own advice and you're a hypocrite if you don't.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:24 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
Quote:
I know one guy who is a public school principal and who obviously can afford private school tuition for his two kids, but says he would feel "guilty" and "like a hypocrite" if he sent his kids to private school (guess I should have clarified that before). Seems to me like he has seriously thought it about it and kind of wants to do it, but doesn't want to offend the teachers or the population that he works with.
That's nice of this guy, but most people will take care of themselves and their own families FIRST, which is also understandable.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,852,429 times
My high school principal sent both of his sons to through the local k-12 catholic education system in my home town. In the case of the older son it was so he could play basketball. He straight up said if his son had no bball ambitions he would've gone to the public school but because he wanted to play ball and there was no way he would've ever made the public school team he went to the smaller less competitive catholic school team. The younger son I have absolutely no idea why. Typically catholic schools will give discounts to families with multiple children enrolled, so maybe that was it.

I've always believed if the education you are supplying as a teacher is good enough for the rest of the kids in the community then it probably should be good enough for your own. If you teach in a public school but send your children private then you are directly commenting on your colleagues as professionals and indirectly commenting on yourself at the same time.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:31 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
My high school principal sent both of his sons to through the local k-12 catholic education system in my home town. In the case of the older son it was so he could play basketball. He straight up said if his son had no bball ambitions he would've gone to the public school but because he wanted to play ball and there was no way he would've ever made the public school team he went to the smaller less competitive catholic school team. The younger son I have absolutely no idea why. Typically catholic schools will give discounts to families with multiple children enrolled, so maybe that was it.

I've always believed if the education you are supplying as a teacher is good enough for the rest of the kids in the community then it probably should be good enough for your own. If you teach in a public school but send your children private then you are directly commenting on your colleagues as professionals and indirectly commenting on yourself at the same time.
It is not uncommon for a principal to send their child to a different school. One, their gets treated differently by teachers - sometimes they get away with stuff because the teacher either wants to curry favor with the principal or they are afraid they will get in trouble with the principal, and sometimes there are teachers that will take their anger at the principal out on the child. Two, it can create serious peer problems - from kids thinking they are automatic teachers’ pets all the way to kids bullying the principal’s kid after the principal disciplines them in some at school. Some middle school principals won’t even send their child to the high school their school feeds into because of potential peer retaliation. When it comes to their own children, educators do not have an obligation to sacrifice them.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:46 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post

Nothing of the sort. I worked in the inner city for almost 20 years. I felt a passion to go and work there because I felt I was making a drop of difference, as did most of my colleagues. They were great people. That does not mean that I want my kids in a school with gangs and crime. How is that a commentary on my colleagues teaching abilities? They didn't bring their kids either, believe me, I didn't take it personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching