Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 04:50 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If she's union, part of that should be access to/assistance with finding legal counsel through the education association.
The teachers' union will not help her with this one. What they will do is advise her that while they are sorry she is in this position, the district is correct. Not everything that feels morally wrong is legally wrong.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:04 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The teachers' union will not help her with this one. What they will do is advise her that while they are sorry she is in this position, the district is correct. Not everything that feels morally wrong is legally wrong.
I didn't want to quote your long entry so this one will do.

People don't realize how school systems have almost complete control over their employees in a lot of states.

My (former) system automatically asked for a certificate suspension for everyone who left whether they met the dates or not.

When I submitted my retirement papers a year ago, well in advance of the drop date date, I had to sign a disclosure acknowledging the possibility of my certificate being suspended so I couldn't go to another system.

It was suspended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 05:48 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
I taught in two states, and both in both, the contracts (unions) stated that you had to give 60 days notice. Often, if they couldn't find a replacement, they would hold you to the 60 days, and you would hope that the new district would hold their teacher or fill the position with a LTS until you could leave one for the other. More often, the turnover would actually be 4 weeks. Some of the specialty certifications or administrative positions might have taken up to 60 days to fill. In both districts, they would often pass on the resumes of the candidates that they didn't hire as a cooperative effort to get the person they wanted and give the remaining exceptional candidates the opportunity to be hired in another district. The Superintendents were generally supportive in passing on good candidates to other districts. The consortium was also helpful, while/when it existed.

It really depends on what the contract states~rarely do they ever go through the process of getting the license revoked for the year. They may make it a threat, but I've never known it to be enforced at the state level. Many states can work around and emergency certify you for up to a year if necessary, until your certificate is reinstated. With all of the teacher shortages, it would be stupid to pull a certificate on an experienced, qualified candidate. What would be the purpose? Spite? Revenge? Bullying? They have better/bigger things and larger fires to tame and should spend their time, energy and resources on something constructive instead of punitive.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:32 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
What happens after the suspension period? Is the certification reinstated? Are there any permanent penalties? Does the temporary suspension remain on the teacher's record?

Old 08-26-2016, 12:06 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
Man, after reading a lot of these posts I realize that teaching is a horrible, terrible, no good, very bad profession. No joke. Teachers are treated like slave labor, and no doubt because the majority are female.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:32 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
What happens after the suspension period? Is the certification reinstated? Are there any permanent penalties? Does the temporary suspension remain on the teacher's record?
In Maryland you have to petition for reinstatement so it's essentially permanent.

In my case it is no big deal since I retired and have no plans to return to the classroom. But, the suspension does show up on a background check, which I found out when a state program I volunteer for was running their regular reviews on volunteers.

Again, no big deal except the reason for suspension isn't noted so I'm lumped in on the list with those whose suspension was for criminal actions. So, I had to submit a letter of explanation.

It also will show up if you have a situation which asks if you've ever had a professional certification suspended or revoked. That happened to me recently during the vetting process for a gubernatorial appointment to a state advisory board. Another letter of explanation. That appointment is still in process so I don't know the resolution. I don't think it will be a problem when it gets to the confirmation phase.

I should note that my former system and Baltimore City are the only ones which routinely ask for certificate suspension for people who merely resign or retire. In fact they are the only ones which are allowed to do so. That was implemented at the state level to try to stem the outflow of teachers from those systems. It hasn't worked.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 08-26-2016 at 03:40 AM..

Old 08-26-2016, 07:19 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
I don't think it's fair that your teaching certification could be put in jeopardy for breaking a contract. You did the work yourself to get the certification, so why should that involve the district? Breaking a contract should be a civil matter to take up in court.

A teacher in my district signed her renewal contract in May one year, but found a job closer to home (she was driving about an hour to our school) about two weeks before school started in August. Needless to say, they weren't happy, but there wasn't much they could do.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:40 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In Maryland you have to petition for reinstatement so it's essentially permanent.

In my case it is no big deal since I retired and have no plans to return to the classroom. But, the suspension does show up on a background check, which I found out when a state program I volunteer for was running their regular reviews on volunteers.

Again, no big deal except the reason for suspension isn't noted so I'm lumped in on the list with those whose suspension was for criminal actions. So, I had to submit a letter of explanation.

It also will show up if you have a situation which asks if you've ever had a professional certification suspended or revoked. That happened to me recently during the vetting process for a gubernatorial appointment to a state advisory board. Another letter of explanation. That appointment is still in process so I don't know the resolution. I don't think it will be a problem when it gets to the confirmation phase.

I should note that my former system and Baltimore City are the only ones which routinely ask for certificate suspension for people who merely resign or retire. In fact they are the only ones which are allowed to do so. That was implemented at the state level to try to stem the outflow of teachers from those systems. It hasn't worked.
For a retired person, that is the stupidest thing I ever heard of the government doing. What a waste of tax payer dollars for the state to actually honor the districts' requests. What if a teacher wanted to move to another state to have a longer career? That's just terrible.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:45 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Man, after reading a lot of these posts I realize that teaching is a horrible, terrible, no good, very bad profession. No joke. Teachers are treated like slave labor, and no doubt because the majority are female.
Unfortunately, it's true. Nowadays, most districts don't care much for it's teachers. I've seen HR staff act very gleeful to punish staff (behind closed doors, of course).

Old 08-26-2016, 10:52 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
It's sad that teachers are treated so poorly. However I can understand, to a certain extent, the school's point especially if they weren't given sufficient notice to replace a teacher who wants to change schools or districts.

You couldn't pay me a million dollars a year to be a teacher, especially these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching