Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Ok, but what about when kids excell with virtually no parental guidance or motivating encouragment? What about when kids are motivated solely due to the teacher's efforts and devotion to what he or she is doing? There are a lot of very successful people out there who had no parental help in their education. It was all the teachers doing their jobs.
I had poor teachers and a lack of parental guidance, and excelled. It's really a triangle here, parent-student-teacher. You'll fail if all 3 are bad, but really, if you have a motivated independent student, you'll achieve even without the other two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 03:50 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez181 View Post
Quality of education relies so much on the support that is received by home and the community. The schools that are struggling have limited funds and limited support on all accounts. The highest quality teachers are not in the lowest performing schools, lets face it. Even if the lowest performing schools had the highest quality teachers and administrators, you are still missing an important part of the equation, that is home and the community. You can not blame it on the kids when they are led by example. Teachers can work their tails off with the kids during the day, but if there is no one to help with homework or to support the child when they get home, then what happens.

More often than not the students in the lowest performing schools started out behind the curve because no one read to them or started on teaching the alphabet before school started. When you start off behind the curve, then it is an up hill battle.

So maybe we need to send the lowest performing students to the highest performing schools and see if that makes a difference? There is not a simple solution, and so much of it starts at home. We need to build better communities to build better schools. We also need some parenting classes........
Funny how teachers always blame the parents and community. Always.

Before I went to kindergarten, I didn't know the alphabet. No one read to me. Nobody did back then. Kids were taught the alphabet etc. in kindergarten. How do you think the greatest minds on earth grew from such 'negligence' over time? Because we had no frills, honest to goodness educations with teachers who insisted we learn.

How do you suppose some school that is losing academically can hire a principal who gets behind the teachers and INSISTS on them educating the kids can turn a school completely around to graduate kids who go on to college and successful lives? It has happened many times in some of the worst communities. The parents don't change. The community doesn't change. Only the teachers and admin. change. Go figure.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:04 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
The question is, if the schools are powerless to educate our children because of the overwhelming family and societal problems then why are we spending so much money on Government run schools? By their own admission the teachers are not able to overcome these problems so shouldn't we just fire them all?
You must be reading my mind.

Why are teachers getting paid $75,000/yr +- to babysit (That's what they must be doing since it's the parents and community that should be doing the educating according to teachers.) with all the benefits and insurance provided?

Shoot, I'll just keep my child out since I'm the one teachers blame for my child not being educated. In fact, all parents should be keeping their kids out of schools since they are not there for an education.

Teachers shouldn't complain with the money and benefits they get for babysitting all day for 9 months out of the year.

Parents should educate their children, then send them to school for what?? Why are we sending our kids to school? Seriously.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:18 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
Quote:

Why are teachers getting paid $75,000/yr +- to babysit
You're back! Glad to see you here again. I was missing the "NoExcuses Humor Hour".

Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I agree with your complaints. That is why online courses should be made available to students by 5th grade. Attending school is an antiquated waste. Too many teachers and principles are fascist BSers that engulf education in dirty politics. The educational corruption gets even worse in some universities.

Quote:
You must be reading my mind.

Why are teachers getting paid $75,000/yr +- to babysit (That's what they must be doing since it's the parents and community that should be doing the educating according to teachers.) with all the benefits and insurance provided?

Shoot, I'll just keep my child out since I'm the one teachers blame for my child not being educated. In fact, all parents should be keeping their kids out of schools since they are not there for an education.

Teachers shouldn't complain with the money and benefits they get for babysitting all day for 9 months out of the year.

Parents should educate their children, then send them to school for what?? Why are we sending our kids to school? Seriously.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:29 PM

549 posts, read 1,930,193 times
Here's the thing about blaming teachers. When an entire school is failing, the reason is because of the school culture. The school culture is developed from several contributing factors. In no particular order - the teachers' lack of expectations in their students, the principal for hiring and allowing such teachers to remain at the school, the students for not giving a crap, the parents for not only being uninterested in their child's academic failure but actually defending their child's misbehavior.

You can't blame a failing school on the teachers. I believe every school has at least one horrible teacher that is either lazy or disinterested. However, if that's true, then every school must have at least one amazing teacher. If a school's test scores are crappy, then that's the school culture.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
Here's the thing about blaming teachers. When an entire school is failing, the reason is because of the school culture. The school culture is developed from several contributing factors. In no particular order - the teachers' lack of expectations in their students, the principal for hiring and allowing such teachers to remain at the school, the students for not giving a crap, the parents for not only being uninterested in their child's academic failure but actually defending their child's misbehavior.

You can't blame a failing school on the teachers. I believe every school has at least one horrible teacher that is either lazy or disinterested. However, if that's true, then every school must have at least one amazing teacher. If a school's test scores are crappy, then that's the school culture.

You make a very good point. Every school I've ever been in (my children's included) had some fantastic teachers and some lousy ones. That being the case, it's a tough argument to blame the teachers.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:39 PM

It's the whole group conformity/team work concept that is dumbing everyone down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post

Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I agree with your complaints. That is why online courses should be made available to students by 5th grade. Attending school is an antiquated waste. Too many teachers and principles are fascist BSers that engulf education in dirty politics. The educational corruption gets even worse in some universities.
You should be in my district. We have the best schools in the county, AND if you want to take on-line courses, you can enroll in our district operated cyber-school and still have assemblies, field trips, and sports that you would have if you were actually enrolled in classes, plus an individualized teacher to help you with your lessons. And you don't have to wait until 5th grade to get it!

There are many wonderful districts; I'm sorry that you've not had the opportunity to experience one.

Z

Old 05-11-2010, 08:56 PM

Wow. That is progressive. Unfortunately I went to school in the south. The students were stratified in rather unethical ways. And the education quality ranged in quality. What state is this amazing school located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
You should be in my district. We have the best schools in the county, AND if you want to take on-line courses, you can enroll in our district operated cyber-school and still have assemblies, field trips, and sports that you would have if you were actually enrolled in classes, plus an individualized teacher to help you with your lessons. And you don't have to wait until 5th grade to get it!

There are many wonderful districts; I'm sorry that you've not had the opportunity to experience one.

Z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching