Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 08:58 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Not everyone can be as perfect as you. Sometimes you might be blessed with excellent memory and study skills that come natural to you. You might have high IQ or even a syndrome like Asperger's that helps you to excel in meticulous classes. Apparently you never learned empathy and sympathy. You should walk in another person's shoes before saying what you said IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
I had poor teachers and a lack of parental guidance, and excelled. It's really a triangle here, parent-student-teacher. You'll fail if all 3 are bad, but really, if you have a motivated independent student, you'll achieve even without the other two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 09:19 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Wow. That is progressive. Unfortunately I went to school in the south. The students were stratified in rather unethical ways. And the education quality ranged in quality. What state is this amazing school located?
Pennsylvania, of course!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:54 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
You must be reading my mind.

Why are teachers getting paid $75,000/yr +- to babysit (That's what they must be doing since it's the parents and community that should be doing the educating according to teachers.) with all the benefits and insurance provided?

Shoot, I'll just keep my child out since I'm the one teachers blame for my child not being educated. In fact, all parents should be keeping their kids out of schools since they are not there for an education.

Teachers shouldn't complain with the money and benefits they get for babysitting all day for 9 months out of the year.

Parents should educate their children, then send them to school for what?? Why are we sending our kids to school? Seriously.
It's teachers' responsibility to teach. It's the parents' responsibility to get the kids to cooperate and allow the teachers to teach. The valid argument teachers make about parents is pointed toward those whose kids come to school and mostly refuse to cooperate and/or participate. *If your kid is cooperating and participating, good teachers will ensure your kid learns as much as possible.*

*If there are too many kids in a class that are disruptive and uncooperative, the learning environment may be so poor that your child IS shortchanged.*

Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
Here's the thing about blaming teachers. When an entire school is failing, the reason is because of the school culture. The school culture is developed from several contributing factors. In no particular order - the teachers' lack of expectations in their students, the principal for hiring and allowing such teachers to remain at the school, the students for not giving a crap, the parents for not only being uninterested in their child's academic failure but actually defending their child's misbehavior.

You can't blame a failing school on the teachers. I believe every school has at least one horrible teacher that is either lazy or disinterested. However, if that's true, then every school must have at least one amazing teacher. If a school's test scores are crappy, then that's the school culture.
This is true. And like every other aspect of life, negative energy from some can bring others down and vice versa. I know of many teachers who become apathetic after being beaten down countless times by kids who don't care, parents who don't care and the realization that they have little to no ability to change that.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 PM

If you don't like the students and you don't like the profession. Then change schools or change jobs. Try it. And stop blaming the students. Some of them don't give a crap about what they learn in school. I did a lot of my learning at the library when I was growing up. I also spent time watching a lot of documentaries and dateline reports. I didn't rely on what the teacher said or taught. A lot of younger people are independent in that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
This is true. And like every other aspect of life, negative energy from some can bring others down and vice versa. I know of many teachers who become apathetic after being beaten down countless times by kids who don't care, parents who don't care and the realization that they have little to no ability to change that.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy Intellectual Type View Post
The news is full of stories recently about how terrible the schools are in America and how we are slipping behind the rest of the world. Of course the group that gets the most blame is the teachers. The second amount of blame goes to the Principal and the rest of the blame goes towards the school administrators and bureaucrats.

If a failing school in the worst neighborhood in the City does not do as well as the school in a rich suburb with parents who are doctors, lawyers, and scientists with high IQ's and PHD's, then the failing school's Teachers and Principal are fired.

Why won't the media admit the problem with American schools are: uninterested parents, a messed up popular culture and students who are more interested in acting out than learning?

Do you think the Teachers and Principals should get most of the blame for the problems in American Schools?
Do I believe individual teachers/principals are responsible if their school or students have problems? In most cases, no.

Do I blame teachers and educational adminstators as a collective for many of the problems in our schools - absolutely. The educational establishment has always had outsized influence in the setting of education policy. They are often deffered to by many parents and politicians (that's if the employee unions have'nt bought them off outright). Lax discipline in schools, laws about educational quality that have become bludgeons in trial lawyers hands, socail promotion etc. The list is endless. These all have sprung from initiatives by the educational establishment.

Just like people blame the bar for the state of the american legal system, it is, in my opinion, perfectly justified to blame the education establishment for the state of our schools.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:00 AM

Lax discipline in schools? 2/3 of the kids that missed class were always in detention or suspended. The school bully was always getting paddled and sent to "the office". And those kids never changed! Because the education system never changed. It's pretty clear that the antiquated and draconian ways of old were stupid then and are stupid now. People don't misbehave and act up because school is so great and amazing. They do it because school is an antiquated waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Do I believe individual teachers/principals are responsible if their school or students have problems? In most cases, no.

Do I blame teachers and educational adminstators as a collective for many of the problems in our schools - absolutely. The educational establishment has always had outsized influence in the setting of education policy. They are often deffered to by many parents and politicians (that's if the employee unions have'nt bought them off outright). Lax discipline in schools, laws about educational quality that have become bludgeons in trial lawyers hands, socail promotion etc. The list is endless. These all have sprung from initiatives by the educational establishment.

Just like people blame the bar for the state of the american legal system, it is, in my opinion, perfectly justified to blame the education establishment for the state of our schools.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:27 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Lax discipline in schools? 2/3 of the kids that missed class were always in detention or suspended. The school bully was always getting paddled and sent to "the office". And those kids never changed! Because the education system never changed. It's pretty clear that the antiquated and draconian ways of old were stupid then and are stupid now. People don't misbehave and act up because school is so great and amazing. They do it because school is an antiquated waste of time.
How does school need to change to not be a draconian waste of their time? We're seeing a push to cyberschool here and it's going to be interesting to see how that works.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
It's the whole group conformity/team work concept that is dumbing everyone down.

I disagree. They had teamwork and conformity when I was in school and we weren't dummed down. We were expected to rise to the challenge before it and we knew it.

The big difference between my school experience and now is the level of misbehavior in the classroom. I'd have been backhanded into tomorrow if I'd talked to my teachers the way some of my students talk to me WITH their parent's blessing (I have a student with "anger management issues". Mom's solution is for me to quit getting him mad. ).

Content, definitely, has been dummed down but I don't believe that has anything to do with teamwork and conformity. It has to do with more students staying in school longer (the bottom used to drop out in greater numbers) and students having more rights than anyone else.

Seriously, I think we had a lot more conformity in bygone years than we do now and it seemed to work.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
You must be reading my mind.

Why are teachers getting paid $75,000/yr +- to babysit (That's what they must be doing since it's the parents and community that should be doing the educating according to teachers.) with all the benefits and insurance provided?

Shoot, I'll just keep my child out since I'm the one teachers blame for my child not being educated. In fact, all parents should be keeping their kids out of schools since they are not there for an education.

Teachers shouldn't complain with the money and benefits they get for babysitting all day for 9 months out of the year.

Parents should educate their children, then send them to school for what?? Why are we sending our kids to school? Seriously.
Where do I sign up? I'd really like that job but I can't find one. I make $32,000 a year, have no retirement plan and beneifits that are too expensive to purchase. While I do work 10 months out of the year, I work 80 hours a week during those 10 months so I'll compare my hours to the vast majorit out in the work force and probably top them in hours worked in a year.

You're sending your kids to school to be taught the things you don't know to teach them. I'm not sure where all these teachers are who expect the parents to do the educating as they aren't where I am or in my children's schools. I don't expect my student's parents to teach them chemistry and physics. Most of them wouldn't know what they're looking at let alone be able to teach it.

Don't make sweeping generalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching