Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 01:29 PM

23 posts, read 138,972 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Our move to the wonderful state of Tennessee is moving forward, and we're looking at July 2011.

We own a home-based internet business, so jobs are not a factor for us - our only real need is to be within comfortable driving distance of a post office.

With that in mind, we're looking at eastern Tennessee anywhere from north of Knoxville all the way down the valley to Chattanooga.

We would prefer not to live in an actual city - a small town or a rural area near a small town would be ideal.

Our most pressing concern is price of real estate - we want to buy in cash something REALLY cheap. That said, we don't want to live in someplace that's unsafe (crime wise).

Where are our best bets to live? I'm looking at Etowah as a strong possibility, but I am certainly open to all suggestions.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 02:19 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,704 times
check out Niota also or Sweetwater

Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
I would guess you would need high speed internet....at least DSL....this could factor in your search....

Now do you want " Super cheap OR Nice " .....have to make a choice....

"Super Cheap" would equal how much....$100,000, $300,000....

Old 11-04-2010, 04:47 PM

I guess I should say "safe and friendly" rather than "nice" - we're not upscale kinda people, we're very low maintenance.

We are looking at literally buying an apartment-sized house (<1,000 square feet) or one so out of the way that we can get a little more space for not more money. Yes, we will need high-speed internet (cable or dsl) so thanks for bringing that up - is it one of the things hard to find in smaller Tennessee towns?

Our budget is $40,000. Now you know what I mean by "super cheap!" But, we don't believe in debt at all, and that's about what we will have to work with at the time.

If we absolutely can't find anything, we'll rent awhile, but our research shows a surprising number of modest houses in our very modest price range (some in need of much repair, of course, but some not).

Old 11-04-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach1966 View Post
check out Niota also or Sweetwater

Sweetwater is beautiful (we visited awhile back when we vacationed in the area) but probably a little outside our price range. I will check Niota, thanks for the recommendation.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:44 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
Cable or dsl will probably be a large factor outside of a small town.....

When I was looking for my place....saw several nice pictures of places....then I saw them in person - OH NO..... Renting for awhile would be a good thing...IMO, you get to look at your leisure for something in your price range. Maybe something like a lease/purchase also.

I'm more towards the center of the state and there is almost nothing in that price range that you would want to live in...

I'll track down a linky and DM it to ya, you can search by area...

Old 11-04-2010, 07:13 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,704 times
you need to check out the local auctions, I went to one not long ago and the house sold for your price range and it was livable (after buying a few goats to take care of the grass)

Old 11-05-2010, 05:32 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Cable or dsl will probably be a large factor outside of a small town.....
I just want to reinforce what Bones is saying and many ppl dont seem to understand.
Small towns/rural areas do not have the amenities of cities. This may include, internet service, cable, sewer, trash pick up, fire service, animal control, natural gas service, cell phone reception.
It may be a difference in definition, but I constantly hear "driving distance to a post office", "one stop light town", even "dirt road main street". Just keep in mind you cant have isolation and a load of services. I live ~6 miles from a small town (where the post office is), ~2 miles from a smaller town (gas and small store, no stop light), guess what, no cable service, no high speed internet, and its not so cheap. Just saying.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 33,164 times
Look in McMinn County. I am from there so I am kinda biased. Athens has pretty good festivals throughout the year. One coming up is an Old Fashioned Christmas. Even Etowah has some pretty good events.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:23 PM

688 posts, read 1,489,745 times
Check out Rutledge, Maynardville, or Morristown areas. Close to Knoxville (and Morristown and Rutledge are also fairly close to Tri-Cities) and Gatlinburg area and very close to lakes (Cherokee and Norris), still rural in character. One thing to remember in Rutledge area if close to Cherokee Lake there are more expensive places close to lake that are being bought left and right by outsiders often, not always, from Ky. and Va.), so maybe a little more traffic and expense than away from this particular area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee