Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 04:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times

Advertisements

But if you are looking for a place to live that has no illegal aliens, no one that abuses the welfare system, no hookers, drunks or drug addicts......USA is not the place to look. Sad but true I fear

Old 08-17-2006, 05:14 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,438 times
You're probably right.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Americans do it too! It's called WELFARE and it is legal. Same diference IMHO. There are also people born in the USA who have no insurance that hit someone and guess who pays the bill? What about theft? Citizens steal too! Guess who flips that bill? I could go on, but you get the point. Just because your born in the USA, doesn't mean your a great citizen.
Written in response to a series of letters to the editor in the Orange
County Register: Orange County, California

Dear Editor:

So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land
Is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear
down the Statute of Liberty because the people now in question aren't
being treated the same as those who passed through Ellis Island and other
ports of entry.

Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people
like Mr. Lujan why today's American is not willing any longer to accept this new
kind of immigrant .

Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come
to the United States, people had to get off a ship and stand in a long
line in New York and be documented. Some would even get down on their
hands and knees and kiss the ground. They made a pledge to uphold the
laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made
learning English a primary rule in their new American households and some
even changed their names to blend in with their new home.

They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their children
a new life and did everything in their power to help their children
assimilate into one culture. Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches,
no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills
and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of
prosperity. Most of their children came of age when World War II broke
out. My father fought along side men whose parents had come straight over
from Germany, Italy, France and and all over the world. None of these 1st generation
Americans ever gave any thought about from what country their parents had come

They were Americans fighting Hilter, Mussolini and the Emperor of
Japan. They were defending the United States of America as one people.
When we liberated France, no one in those villages was looking for the
French-American or the German-American or the Irish-American. The people
of France saw only Americans. And we carried one flag that represented
one country. Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about
picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they
were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed
so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be an
American. They stirred the melting pot into one red, white and blue
bowl.

And here we are in 2006 with a new kind of immigrant who wants the
same rights and privileges. However, they want to achieve it by playing with
a different set of rules; one that includes the entitlement card and a
guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's
not what being an American is all about. I believe that the immigrants
who landed on Ellis Island in the early 1900's deserve better than that
for the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to
create a land that has become a beacon for those legally searching for a
better life. I think they would be appalled that they are being used
as an example by those waving foreign country flags.

And for that suggestion about taking down the Statute of Liberty:
It happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the
immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about dismantling the United
States just yet.

(signed) Rosemary LaBonte

I think this letter says it all.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terbenn View Post
Written in response to a series of letters to the editor in the Orange
County Register: Orange County, California

Dear Editor:

So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land
Is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear
down the Statute of Liberty because the people now in question aren't
being treated the same as those who passed through Ellis Island and other
ports of entry.

Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people
like Mr. Lujan why today's American is not willing any longer to accept this new
kind of immigrant .

Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come
to the United States, people had to get off a ship and stand in a long
line in New York and be documented. Some would even get down on their
hands and knees and kiss the ground. They made a pledge to uphold the
laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made
learning English a primary rule in their new American households and some
even changed their names to blend in with their new home.

They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their children
a new life and did everything in their power to help their children
assimilate into one culture. Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches,
no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills
and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of
prosperity. Most of their children came of age when World War II broke
out. My father fought along side men whose parents had come straight over
from Germany, Italy, France and and all over the world. None of these 1st generation
Americans ever gave any thought about from what country their parents had come

They were Americans fighting Hilter, Mussolini and the Emperor of
Japan. They were defending the United States of America as one people.
When we liberated France, no one in those villages was looking for the
French-American or the German-American or the Irish-American. The people
of France saw only Americans. And we carried one flag that represented
one country. Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about
picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they
were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed
so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be an
American. They stirred the melting pot into one red, white and blue
bowl.

And here we are in 2006 with a new kind of immigrant who wants the
same rights and privileges. However, they want to achieve it by playing with
a different set of rules; one that includes the entitlement card and a
guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's
not what being an American is all about. I believe that the immigrants
who landed on Ellis Island in the early 1900's deserve better than that
for the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to
create a land that has become a beacon for those legally searching for a
better life. I think they would be appalled that they are being used
as an example by those waving foreign country flags.

And for that suggestion about taking down the Statute of Liberty:
It happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the
immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about dismantling the United
States just yet.

(signed) Rosemary LaBonte

I think this letter says it all.
Amen! Good job..........
With that being said, again, we still have a problem as most "Mexicans" people see, are really Hispanics that are born in the USA! The illegals I see, work hard for minimal pay. Its the Hispanics (2nd generation per say) their kids who don't want to work, go on welfare, DUI, etc!
Sad part is (here we go) is when fathers raised their sons to be men, when the son stepped out of line he was punished (harsh at times, yes) the boys became MEN and hard working men. It was when the "moms" wanted the boys to have a feminine side "Generation X", it all went to ****! Again, just because you have a right to be here in the USA, doesn't mean you can live a life as an outlaw. Citizens commit crimes ALL the time.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:47 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,823 times
Arrow Understood...

The white american is the minority now...I heard on the radio that "Mexicans" are 18% of the population, Blacks are 16% and Whites are only 14% of the total population...I too believe that if you come to America than you take on the responsibilities of Americans ~~ I think of the Chinese restaraunt down the street or the Authentic Mexican food place the next city over--these are hard working people whom have acclimated to our society but with their own touch...we all know that America is what it is because of the diversity of the people...all I wish for though is the same for ANYONE who comes here to live--that they work, pay taxes, support their local community and respect our history and flag- having had a Father, Uncle , 2 brothers and several friends who have served in various wars ...

Old 08-17-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
The white american is the minority now...I heard on the radio that "Mexicans" are 18% of the population, Blacks are 16% and Whites are only 14% of the total population...I too believe that if you come to America than you take on the responsibilities of Americans ~~ I think of the Chinese restaraunt down the street or the Authentic Mexican food place the next city over--these are hard working people whom have acclimated to our society but with their own touch...we all know that America is what it is because of the diversity of the people...all I wish for though is the same for ANYONE who comes here to live--that they work, pay taxes, support their local community and respect our history and flag- having had a Father, Uncle , 2 brothers and several friends who have served in various wars ...

My grandfather served in 2 world wars. His actual dog tags are right above me as we speak.

With that said, Americans have to do the same. This isn't do as I say not as I do. Americans need to work, get off welfare, and get a job. Stop making babies with 3-4 different dads!

I hear the complaint. An illegal goes into a hospital and gets free service. Big deal. Really. Have a heart. That baby doesn't know, I choose to say I gave service to a baby instead of the mother. Divide $40k into all of Americans who pay taxes, thats not even one red cent to make sure that baby lives.

How about an American who gets the same service AND collects welfare because she had 5 kids by all different dads at some party and none of those dads wants to pay child support and are running the streets looking to through more seed around? Same thing. Sorry.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:55 PM

Exclamation hey your back to TN.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Amen! Good job..........
With that being said, again, we still have a problem as most "Mexicans" people see, are really Hispanics that are born in the USA! The illegals I see, work hard for minimal pay. Its the Hispanics (2nd generation per say) their kids who don't want to work, go on welfare, DUI, etc! Sad part is (here we go) is when fathers raised their sons to be men, when the son stepped out of line he was punished (harsh at times, yes) the boys became MEN and hard working men. It was when the "moms" wanted the boys to have a feminem side, it all went to ****!
I wanted to say after reading your last post that -- never mind the Momma's boy theme -- that even the majority of America born and bred kids are lazy and looking for an easy way to make lots of $$$- I have three "white" kids- we usually go to church on Sundays, we pay our taxes, my husband and I work, have never received welfare--but some days we listen to our own kids and think "OMG! Where is this child going to be in 15 years?" simply b/c they watch TV, they play video games, they sleep in, they get rides to school, they get expensive sneakers and clothes...but do not seem to realize how much all of these things cost us- and not just in $$$--- they are good kids--and I know they will be productive citizen someday...welfare is not an option for them! Welfare is a continous cycle- at least from what I have seen- no amount of federally funded pre-school classes or sex ed classes is going to compete with "free" money, "free: food and sleeping in!

Old 08-17-2006, 06:57 PM

[quote=TornadoAlley;63732]My grandfather served in 2 world wars. His actual dog tags are right above me as we speak.

With that said, Americans have to do the same. This isn't do as I say not as I do. Americans need to work, get off welfare, and get a job. Stop making babies with 3-4 different dads!

I think you and I are on the same track! Tennessee may not be ready for us!

Old 08-17-2006, 06:57 PM

67 posts, read 231,506 times
Default Illegal Aliens

How is the Nashville? Now I am nervous is it that dangerous we were going to look in towns outside Nashville to the west in Dickson, Bon Aqua, Lyles area. Should I not be going there? We want a family area, safe and English speaking. Thats why we are moving from where we are now. We have been out numbered here and no one speaks our language and crime has gone through the roof. Thanks

Old 08-17-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
I wanted to say after reading your last post that -- never mind the Momma's boy theme -- that even the majority of America born and bred kids are lazy and looking for an easy way to make lots of $$$- I have three "white" kids- we usually go to church on Sundays, we pay our taxes, my husband and I work, have never received welfare--but some days we listen to our own kids and think "OMG! Where is this child going to be in 15 years?" simply b/c they watch TV, they play video games, they sleep in, they get rides to school, they get expensive sneakers and clothes...but do not seem to realize how much all of these things cost us- and not just in $$$--- they are good kids--and I know they will be productive citizen someday...welfare is not an option for them! Welfare is a continous cycle- at least from what I have seen- no amount of federally funded pre-school classes or sex ed classes is going to compete with "free" money, "free: food and sleeping in!
I am just venting.. My kids actually work for me. They pay their own cell phone bills, make-up, buy their own dirt bikes, etc. They learn what it takes to make a buck. They make between $20-$500! a week. Depends on how much they want to work AND spend. I also have 3 white kids. 1 white from previous marriage (I have custody) and 1 from wifes previous marriage (she has custody) and we share one. The one we share is 1/2 mexican. No child support neither for neither of us. My wifes grand parents were hard working and came from mexico and got a green card. My wife and I work and pull in $117k a year. We own our house and have title to every car in the drive way (1998, 2002, 2006).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee