Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 87,200 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a link where I can find the state of TN law on noise ordinance or better yet dog laws? I have been trying to find something, but only coming up with help sites on what to do about noise.

My county doesn't have a noise ordinance towards dogs barking non stop and running around off their leash, but I'm hoping to find one through the state. Any help would be appreciated. I tried contacting the police and animal control, but they said there is nothing they can do. I know state laws can cover counties as well.

I've been putting up with these dogs running around all over the place while their owner sits around not caring. They've destroyed my trash, my decorations, come up on my deck and sniff around. I went out to get the mail one day and he came at me growling. The neighbors seems to not care and even saw me throwing something at the dog to get it out of the yard...he just went on about his business like he didn't hear me screaming "get out of my yard."
Then soon as it gets dark out they start barking and do not stop til wee hours of the morning. Not just barking off and on, but straight barking constantly. It wakes my 14 month old baby up all night and she hasn't been sleeping good since we moved in here about 3 months ago. It's so convenient too, as soon as I put her to bed they start up and it sounds like a damn pound outside. Then their barking gets the other dogs barking and pure chaos goes on.
I really hate to complain but I have to vent on these dogs and their stupid owners. I'm really wishing I hadn't moved in here....I kinda had no choice...last min thing. Well, 3 months in and already getting drove insane.
My husband and I both wonder though why no one else is annoyed by this barking. It's really not like you can avoid hearing it. I've even put headphones on and still hear them. How can no one else get drove crazy over it? Guess they all don't have cranky sleep deprived toddlers running around huh?

Old 11-28-2010, 05:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
States don't usually have noise or dog laws. That is handled at the local level. Since you don't have a county or town ordinance, and the cops and dog officer say there is nothing they can do, it looks like you are on your own. I think the only thing you can do is knock on the guy's door and VERY kindly tell him that the dogs are keeping up your toddler. Remember that being nice to your neighbor is worth it in the end. Hopefully, he will take pity and reign the dogs in.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:27 PM

I just noticed that your profile has your current location as Ooltewah. That's Hamilton County, home of Chattanooga. Is that where you live?

I noticed some of your posts say you are in Philadelphia, TN. That's Loudon County and they do have dog laws. http://www.loudoncounty.com/animalshelter/

Once again, I can't stress enough how much being nice to your neighbors will pay off. Heck, being nice to anyone will come back to you at some point.

Last edited by hiknapster; 11-28-2010 at 06:44 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 10:33 PM

950 posts, read 3,190,849 times
I agree with what hiknapster has suggested what you should do. Calling the Sheriff's office or the animal's shelter should be the last resort.

Have you ever talked to the neighbors before the dog problem? It is possible they cannot hear or see/realize what their dogs were doing?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times
I found that TN has some great laws for pets, including a state wide leash law. What I also found is that it must be enforced locally and very few areas do that. Those that do are the larger cities, not any place that's rural.

In other words, you're not going to get any help from law enforcement or the animal control / pound in your areas if you're in a small town. All you can do is talk to the neighbor, and if they're like the neighbors I have here, they've been there for ages and they all allow their pets to run loose and do what they want. Talking to them leaves you as the 'weird' new nosey neighbor and they still won't change a thing. Every year I get to see tiny puppies smashed flat as pancakes on these roads. Same with kittens. Same with chickens and ducks. Apparently where I am, there is no such thing as being a responsible pet owner. It makes me crazy. I really, truly feel for you.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 AM

9 posts, read 87,200 times
They know the dogs are barking. They even laughed about it. My guy has explained we have a baby that is getting woke up all night and hasn't had a good nights sleep since we moved here. They know the dogs are getting in our trash and tearing it up all over the place (despite them being 55gal with snap lids - smart dogs I guess). First night we moved in, we had a bag of diapers ripped up all over from our yard to their yard. Thank God the majority of them were in their yard lol. Their reply... "there's no leash law here." Which sorry, but everyone has a leash law of some kind.

They are ignorant. I'm not saying everyone is, but the majority of the ones I live by are. I know back in Michigan, if your dog is barking for a second you will get the animal control called on you in a heart beat. I understand this is the country and things are done different, but I just really don't see how no one else finds this a problem. I know if I had a dog barking I would be going crazy after the first hour if that.
Well, we will defiantly be moving the first opportunity we get. I've really had enough of the country life. My guy has gotten the third degree from me quite a few times about how Tennessee wasn't all as wonderful as he told me it was. Like I keep telling him, if it wasn't for the noise then I would have no problem. But you take someone that is use to strict laws about noise and city ordinances and move her to the country where guns are shooting day and night and dogs are barking and dirt bikes are being rode and people are out with a bon fire drinking all hours of the night and it just isn't going to work out. Also, the majority of the ppl I live near don't work. When you don't have to get up at 6am being woke up all night isn't a big deal.
I was reading another thread where someone was talking about moving into a cheap small town. Well, I advise against it and just like another poster stated.... no one tells you about the fireworks, guns, etc..... I'm living proof lol!!
and btw - I had moved from Ooltewah and currently reside in Philadelphia which we were told is Loudon County, but after talking to the police we find out our property is right on the county boarder of Loudon and we are actually in Monroe.
And also, my family is more than nice. Before we even moved all our things in to the new place, we had the neighbors driving down, slowing down in front of us, and giving us odd stares and looks. We would wave back just being friendly and showing that doesn't intimidate us and they turn their heads all snotty...We even had ppl drive slow past our place and make a U-turn right at the end of our yard and stare at us as they went back by.... we were already the outsiders before we even got to meet everyone. Oh well lol

Old 11-29-2010, 12:28 PM

315 posts, read 1,006,158 times
I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Sounds like that person has lived there all their life and will do whatever he wants. You are the newcomer. I do not live in TN full time but have had a place there for going on four years now. I LOVE my neighbors and when I purchased the place they welcomed me with open arms. So please don't look down on TN. It is a great place and I'm sure once you move away from there you will love it too. One suggestion to you and your hubby is when you do find where you want to live, go around and talk to your would be neighbors about anything. You will know right away if they are people you want to live by. Good luck to you and I hope things settle down for you soon.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:54 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
Well, I hate the majority of the people you live around are ignorant and country. Personally, I try to research an area before I move in and avoid the ignorant areas.

This is going to sound callous, and some will object, and I'm not saying I agree...but if the people are ignorant and country, there are ignorant and country ways of dealing with this problem...and they can be effective.

Don't let your jerky neighbors and their noise turn you off all TN....and cut your husband some slack "about how Tennessee wasn't all as wonderful as he told me it was" just because you have a neighbor with dogs that they won't control and other noise issues. Sounds like you live in a place that is one of those "rural subdivision"...a place where everyone has an acre or five and think since they live in the "country" they can do those things that can be bothersome. Sounds like everyone needs more space!

Good luck, hope you get some peace soon.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:11 PM

950 posts, read 3,190,849 times
Philadelphia is located in Loudon county, not Monroe county. The zip code (37846) is serviced in three counties (Loudon, Monroe and Roane).

There may be some weird people in Philadelphia, but most people there are friendly and considerate toward other people including "outsiders".

You must be in the area what is considered to be in West Sweetwater.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:16 PM

Sounds like a clear cut case of "That's not the way we do it up north" along with a side of "I never really wanted to live here, anyway." And the neighbors know it. Clearly, they are not ignorant and know exactly what they are doing.

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times; don't assume the locals are stupid hicks. Grave mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee