Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:52 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,325,687 times

Advertisements

I read beachbyrds electric bill amount and though to myself, "WOW, chatt has much cheaper electric rates than Johnson City". Then I got out our $217.00 electric bill for September and did the math. We pay $0.07 per KWH and you pay $0.08 per KWH so not much difference except that evidently my family are electric hogs and yours isn't LOL!.
We do however have teenage boys so we have an extra fridge plus an extra freezer in the garage and we do A LOT of laundry.
As for the water/sewage bill, it was $46.06 for water, $57.32 for sewage and $15.00 for trash pick up which equals $118.38. Now I am not sure what unit of measure they are using as the bill says 84 for water and 84 for sewage and I am sure that is not gallons, so not sure of the cost per unit difference between the counties. Anyone else have their water bill broke down and can compare by unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 10:40 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Even though I live in Nashville, I'm actually have water and sewer service by the Harpeth Valley Utility District. This is a "user owned" utility that began years ago with Metro Water didn't provide water and sewer service to all parts of the county. The HVUD rates are much lower than Metro Water rates. Metro Water is a bloated government utility that is used to hand out political patronage. They probably have twice as many employees as they need.

Here's the HVUD rates:

Up to 1,000 gallons- Water $5.25 / Sewer $5.75
Next 2,000 gallons- Water $1.90 / Sewer $3.55
Next 3,000 gallons- Water $2.80 / Sewer $4.75

All of those are before any taxes. There is a summer adjustment in the sewer rate.

I pay an average of about $12 or $13 a month.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:31 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
MBMouse: Is that water and sewer bill for a month or for more?

Alleycat: My water is through the Halls/Powell water district. I think $60 is really high. I think most of Knox County is Knoxville Utility Board, which they say is cheaper.

According to our water district, they raised the rates a couple of times in the past two years because they have to improve the infrastructure.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:09 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,325,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
MBMouse: Is that water and sewer bill for a month or for more?

Alleycat: My water is through the Halls/Powell water district. I think $60 is really high. I think most of Knox County is Knoxville Utility Board, which they say is cheaper.

According to our water district, they raised the rates a couple of times in the past two years because they have to improve the infrastructure.
One month

Old 10-15-2007, 02:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Yikes, MBMouse! It must be all that darned laundry!

I just got last month's electric bill. It is $88! Thank goodness. The month before was a killer. And it looks like this month is almost twice as high as last year. It was this darned heat wave. I suspect that the next bill will be very reasonable. Bear in mind that I can't open my windows.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:53 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,394,301 times
My bills are really high, and I've been traveling, so I haven't even been there to run up the bills! I had one of those energy audits done in CA. They came out and red flagged all your "energy eaters" and made recommendations to make your home more energy efficient. Anybody know who to call to have that done here?

Old 10-15-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
My bills are really high, and I've been traveling, so I haven't even been there to run up the bills! I had one of those energy audits done in CA. They came out and red flagged all your "energy eaters" and made recommendations to make your home more energy efficient. Anybody know who to call to have that done here?
TVA sponsors some kind of energy audit through your local electric distributor. I've known people who've had it done. You can also get a no or low interest loan to pay for any approved improvements.

I would just call my local power company, or look them up on the 'net.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:16 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,664,218 times
Start with TVA's "energy right" program
TVA energy right Program
That will direct you to your local utility if needed.
I had a new heat pump installed through this program. I was very happy with it. Easy loan approval, low interest and TVA inspects the installation before they release the funds to the company. It cut my bill by more than half -- literally pays for itself.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:35 PM

A high-efficiency heat pump will make a significant difference is your power usage, especially in the summer.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:11 AM
mmw

38 posts, read 121,013 times
Who is the electric provider for Blount County? Does anyone know the standard KWH per rate for such?

Just want to do some comparing to my horrible electric company here in Ohio, who is charging 5.6 cents per KWH!

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee