Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
ORNL, or what you are calling "Oak Ridge," did isotope separation or uranium and later the production of enriched uranium but they did not do weapons "testing." And there is not a nuclear plant in Oak Ridge, huge or otherwise.
I know; it was all sarcasm, which apparently does not translate in print even with a smiley emoticon.

People who are "that" worried about health hazards are not going to be satisfied with ANY answer, so as Reactionary said it's fun to mess with them.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,456,472 times
hiknapster = "there is not a nuclear plant in Oak Ridge, huge or otherwise"

Not exactly, there is a reactor (nuclear plant) on site - it is so dangerous that it is open to the public for tours:

Oak Ridge National Laboratory - Graphite Reactor

Don't get me wrong - I recognize that there are health hazards in Tennessee - when I worked at Oak Ridge there was a creek with signs warning not to -touch- the water because of mercury contamination.

There was also the pencil manufacturer that (IMO negligently) leaked chemicals (toluene and benzene) into the Harpeth River in Franklin near Fort Granger (which is still being monitored by TDEC). While the remediation plan included several responsible measures, IMO the company was also subject to a shake-down by environmentalists to fund their cronies.

I wouldn't consider Franklin a bad place to live because of the contamination, but I wouldn't advise playing in the toluene...

Last edited by Reactionary; 12-03-2012 at 08:04 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
There was also the pencil manufacturer that (IMO negligently) leaked chemicals (toluene and benzene) into the Harpeth River in Franklin near Fort Granger (which is still being monitored by TDEC). While the remediation plan included several responsible measures, IMO the company was also subject to a shake-down by environmentalists to fund their cronies.

I wouldn't consider Franklin a bad place to live because of the contamination, but I wouldn't advise playing in the toluene...
It wasn't a pencil manufacturer. It was Egyptian Lacquer Manufacturing Company, which still denies that they did it but voluntarily helped to "clean" it up.

http://www.egyptcoat.com/

Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,345,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
hiknapster = "there is not a nuclear plant in Oak Ridge, huge or otherwise"

Not exactly, there is a reactor (nuclear plant) on site - it is so dangerous that it is open to the public for tours:

Oak Ridge National Laboratory - Graphite Reactor

Don't get me wrong - I recognize that there are health hazards in Tennessee - when I worked at Oak Ridge there was a creek with signs warning not to -touch- the water because of mercury contamination.

It was a graphite reactor and it hasn't been operational in almost 50 years, since 1963. There ARE nuclear power plants in Tennessee but that is not one of them. That reactor was EXACTLY what I was describing in an earlier post.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,456,472 times
Wmsn4Life - you're right, they made paint for pencils (I knew I remembered something about pencils):

Quote:
Egyptian Lacquer Manufacturing. The dozen-employee factory made its money producing paint, mostly for pencils.
Ooo, That Smell | Stories | Nashville Scene
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee