Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 17,450 times

Advertisements

This is my first post, hope I'm posting in the right place. We are looking seriously at Spring City, the area around State Hwy 246 & 247. Any information, shopping, dining, boating, crime and how far to the next largest town? What do most people in this area do for work? How far is Watts Bar Lake? Any pictures??
Thanks so much for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 09:48 AM

420 posts, read 1,534,946 times
I assume you are talking about Spring City in Rhea County? I don't recognize those highway routes. The Spring City I'm referring to is on Highway 27/29.

This is a quiet area. TVA is a major employer. Others probably commute on to Knoxville or south to Chattanooga (both are long commutes). I would not be choosing it as a prime place to find employment unless you already had a job in hand. There are a fair number of retirees on the lake. You might also look at opportunities in Crossville, as it is possible to live off 68 in between Spring City and Crossville.

Watts Bar Lake is very close to Spring City (there is a large marina/bay that connects to the main channel of the lake). There are a few stores in Spring City + more in Rockwood (Walmart) or Dayton (south on 27). I live due east of Spring City (other side of the river/lake) and do most of my shopping either in Kingston or in west Knoxville. Let me know if you have further questions.

The landscape around Spring City is mixed. The "town" is in a valley, but the surrounding area to the west rises sharpley up the escarpment and there are some gorgeous views and natural areas. Real estate prices are modest IMO.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:51 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,245 times
Cool Yes ,& No

T.M. : WELCOME . My retired boat friend lives on water in Spring city. .The boating is very beautiful all along route #27. . The nearest city or new hospital is Dayton about 15+ miles to the south. I live just south of Dayton & like it very much.
..WORK is going to be serious issue. You do not mention background. Right in Spring City there was increase in plumbers trade contractors as the nuclear plant was being expanded this year. .Just south was the furniture LAZY-Boy factory that went from two shifts to almost nothing with the economy.
. I have other river pics in my area, this link is sort of close to read
Watauga Lake Magazine other areas close by are called the OVERHILL Community & lots of indian history . Here is a PRIOR THREAD one can access by using the SEARCH tool bar on top & enter a key word or two . Scroll down thru this thread (Small towns,etc) can click on the OVERHILL link in blue ) http://www.city-data.com/forum/chatt...tennessee.html

Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,013,419 times
I beleive you're asking for Spring Hill. I found those State Highways in that area. Watts Bar would be quite some distance.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:57 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,875,245 times
Default SPRING HILL #246 South NASHVILLE..??

T.M Maybe you need SPRING HILL SOUTH of NASHVILLE , state rd 246..???

Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 17,450 times
peidmont, you are right , it is Highway 27/29. This area is somewhat west of where we've been looking. The prices seem unreal for someone currently in Florida. Pictures of the area are stunning, but maybe we should widen our search.
Thanks again...

Old 02-28-2010, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,623 times
Default want to know

hi, I have some land on the west side up the mountain. I want to go up that way but not sure about the jobs around Spring City. I'm a cna that mostly works in hospitals but have worked nursing homes to. Almost retired but have no intentions for it for a few more years. If you are around there please tell me whats it like and the jobs. country person red poney123

Old 03-01-2010, 01:15 PM

420 posts, read 1,534,946 times
For healthcare jobs, I'd encourage looking into the Rhea County Medical Center in Dayton. It is a fairly new facility and the major health center close to Spring City. Another option would be looking northeast at Roane County Medical Center in Harriman.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 PM

123 posts, read 357,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT View Post
Right in Spring City there was increase in plumbers trade contractors as the nuclear plant was being expanded this year.
Thanks for the info. I don't want to live somewhere where I might end up glowing in the dark

Old 11-02-2012, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,554 times
are there any good campgrounds in spring city, tn. we live in our travel trailer .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee