Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 10:18 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,988,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Take a look at the map with this link. 241 Tornadoes reported in 14 states over 3 days with 39 dead but there's Tennessee in the middle of states that got hit with no marks on the map. We were very lucky.

AccuWeather.com - Weather News | Historic Tornado Outbreak: 3 Days, 241 Tornado Reports, 14 States (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/48503/historic-tornado-outbreak-3-da-1.asp - broken link)
LauraC and other Tennessee friends on CD--

I was really nervous about this situation for you. So relieved to hear Tennessee was spared, though so sad for the other states. St. Louis where I once lived really got hit. Take all watches and warnings seriously. These are deadly events. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 11:34 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,346,596 times
East Tennessee usually doesn't get as much tornado activity as the rest of the state. All the focus on this storm (and understandably so) has been on the incredible damage done in Alabama. I was shocked and saddened to learn that the death toll in Tennessee is now 33. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends who have lost loved ones, and, as Sen. Alexander said, just like with the floods last year, Tennesseans will band together to start rebuilding.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,060,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
LauraC and other Tennessee friends on CD--

I was really nervous about this situation for you. So relieved to hear Tennessee was spared, though so sad for the other states. St. Louis where I once lived really got hit. Take all watches and warnings seriously. These are deadly events. Take care.
Please note that this is an old original post. Tennessee was not spared the second time but fared better that our neighbors in Alabama.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:49 AM

Default Tornadoes 2011: How to Help Storm Victims

Of course we may know some other local ways to do it but this is going out across the US:

Alabama Tornado 2011: How to Help Storm Victims - ABC News

Old 04-28-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Don...It's been almost a year, how does the flooding look like for now....
I'm not Don, but looking at the river maps, most of the big rivers did not flood, but a few places are in flood stage (Clarksville, Columbia, Perryville, Lobelville, Pulaski, and Fayetteville), a lot of which are cresting or have crested. Centerville (Duck River) and Savannah (Tennessee River) are slightly worse off in the "moderate" stage...with waters continuing to rise in both...but I'm not sure what the damage is like.

It looks like a lot of water is coming through the Tennessee River, and it continues to rise. Hopefully it won't present a major issue to the area.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:58 PM

Also, all this water is dumping into the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers...it looks like there is some pretty good flooding going on there.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:14 PM

851 posts, read 2,460,259 times
Wow, that was really scary. I really hate it even more when it hits at night because you can't see anything. We didn't have too much damage though, a couple trees. Thank god. Hope everyone else is ok too. And I hope that doesn't happen every often!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:40 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,081,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I'm not Don, but looking at the river maps, most of the big rivers did not flood, but a few places are in flood stage (Clarksville, Columbia, Perryville, Lobelville, Pulaski, and Fayetteville), a lot of which are cresting or have crested. Centerville (Duck River) and Savannah (Tennessee River) are slightly worse off in the "moderate" stage...with waters continuing to rise in both...but I'm not sure what the damage is like.

It looks like a lot of water is coming through the Tennessee River, and it continues to rise. Hopefully it won't present a major issue to the area.
My Cuz lives in Centerville...the pics last year of the Duck River was just unbelieveable.....

I see there is flooding on the Ohio River system...

Old 04-28-2011, 04:26 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,879,989 times
Thumbs down Rough Chattanooga

YES Laura: Rough evening South & East of Chattanooga. TV news is saying about 30 deaths in their broadcast region. Had nine in Hamilton co (which is Chatt) , NINE in Bradlee county up on I-75 which is city of Cleveland.

Just south of the state line is Ringold, Georgia, very hard hit with bldgs, etc, The high school & another school bad damage, do not know where kids can finish the school year. TV WEATHER CHANNEL out of Atlanta had a reporter in Ringold most of night. .. EPB, said on Thursday still 80,000 , with out Electric. The TVA nuclear reactor in north ALA , was down cause other power lines into site.

6pm local TV news had a graphic chart showing all Tornado touch downs, not that many in TENN , maybe under ten all along I-75 route. Almost all state of Ala covered in red dots.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:21 PM

The fatalities are up to 281. How sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee