Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:39 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
The so-called “Slow Poke” law went into effect across Tennessee on July 1. The new law states drivers are only allowed to use the left passing lane on interstates or multi-lane highways if they are actually passing.

If motorists are caught driving in the lane without passing, it could mean a misdemeanor charge and a $50 fine.

Tennessee officers now enforcing

Last Week we went from Pensacola to Knoxville to Nashville and back to Pensacola. Tn is still the worst state I have driven through regarding slowpokes in the left hand lane. I am talking about people driving under the speed limit next to an 18 wheeler holding up a dozen cars or more who want to get around the big rig.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:49 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post

The fact that people break law "A" is not a valid reason to not also pass law "B". Police aren't going to be going around specifically looking for people dallying in the passing lane while ignoring other problems. Honestly, I figure it will be enforced about like the "trucks use right two lanes" law. So it won't be enforced unless it's convenient or the officer is looking for an excuse to pull someone over.
I guess my point is why pass law B when they don't even bother to enforce law A? IMO it's more about an easy ticket than it is about any real concern for safety.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:57 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
Slow left lane drivers are a huge problem in Florida. They'll be driving along and then make a sharp right across two lanes of traffic and drive through the grass to get to an exit.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:43 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
My mother loves to drive slowly in the left lane. She's turning left in just five miles, so it's important for her to go ahead and be in the correct lane for that. Apologies to everybody who has been stuck behind my mother.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:37 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
I-40 between Jackson & Nashville is the worst for this, but the section between Brownsville & Memphis doesn't seem as bad. Now that I've seen this thread, I'm dreading my drive over to Nashville in a few weeks . I've also noticed that somebody can be driving a $60,000 vehicle & apparently not know how to use the cruise control, or people pass you and then slow back down, almost like they want to run in a group of cars instead of alone. It is a pretty big change from I-55 in Missouri, although to be fair to Tennessee I-40 carries significantly more traffic. Why Jackson doesn't have 3 lanes on I-40 is beyond me. I stay out of the left lane except to pass. I don't worry about it anymore, I'll pass on the right just as much as on the left if that is what it takes. A driver actively trying to manage the flow of traffic is doing more harm than good.

To those that grew up in TN, do they include the lane rules as part of the license test? I ask because this law isn't enforced in Missouri, but there aren't that many issues with it either.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post

To those that grew up in TN, do they include the lane rules as part of the license test? I ask because this law isn't enforced in Missouri, but there aren't that many issues with it either.
When my kids too the test the focus was on DUI, (legal alcohol limit, penalties, etc) and road signs. I have a young friend trying to get his license now and tells me it hasn't much changed. Apparently a big part of the test is being shown blank road signs and having to identify them by shape. I asked him about 4 ways stops and right of way (because that seems to be something a lot of driver here have trouble with) and he said there might have been one or two questions.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:34 AM

124 posts, read 219,396 times
All of I-40 from the Arkansas border to North Carolina should be 3 lanes each direction due to the volume of traffic.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:26 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I-40 between Jackson & Nashville is the worst for this, but the section between Brownsville & Memphis doesn't seem as bad. Now that I've seen this thread, I'm dreading my drive over to Nashville in a few weeks . I've also noticed that somebody can be driving a $60,000 vehicle & apparently not know how to use the cruise control, or people pass you and then slow back down, almost like they want to run in a group of cars instead of alone. It is a pretty big change from I-55 in Missouri, although to be fair to Tennessee I-40 carries significantly more traffic. Why Jackson doesn't have 3 lanes on I-40 is beyond me. I stay out of the left lane except to pass. I don't worry about it anymore, I'll pass on the right just as much as on the left if that is what it takes. A driver actively trying to manage the flow of traffic is doing more harm than good.
I hate this. This what causes so many wrecks in this state, and those that slow down as they switch lanes or are not driving fast enough to merge into traffic. No one seems to know what a turn signal is for here either.

Quote:
They taught us to do the speed limit and stop at the stop sign. That's about it lol.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
. No one seems to know what a turn signal is for here either.
Oh now, everybody knows that's what you turn on after you've come to a dead stop in the road, or maybe as you make the turn, that counts too right?
Heaven forbid people here actually use it to warn others of their intention to turn.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:46 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
This thread has gone way off topic. Time to close it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee