Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 7,805 times

Advertisements

I have just found this site, and read through it. I was a little surprised that the New Madrid Fault was of so little mention. It is a biblical fault line running under Tennessee, and other states.

Thing is, I think it was 1992? One of the notorious predictions of Nostradamus (forgive any spelling error) sent some Tennessee residents into a bit of a panic. The premonition was that the fault would "swallow" 3 states during that year and people believed it so literally that they stocked survival items and securely stored them for a time. My parents even did so. I grew up in a little town called Kenton (home of the White Squirrel), and left home for the army when I was just out of high school. In all my life, I only experienced one tremor that could be felt. Not to say that there weren't more that didn't immediately affect anyone.

On that note, Kenton is nearby to Reelfoot Lake (the one that was formed by the quake previously mentioned). At the park, there is an earthquake simulator set up so that visitors can experience an earthquake. I will give you due advisement though....I have been home over the years and each time have taken my kids to the lake there, to experience the quake. And, each time I have visited, the earthquake was out of order. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2006, 10:28 PM

22 posts, read 121,180 times
Tullahoma has the semi annual(every 2 years) Airshow, that usually brings in over 60,000 from allover the nation to the Tullahoma Regional Airport.

Old 12-25-2006, 06:09 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Lund View Post
Tullahoma has the semi annual(every 2 years) Airshow, that usually brings in over 60,000 from allover the nation to the Tullahoma Regional Airport.
I've been to that air show, and it's really fun. Anyone who likes air shows should attend--and take the kids.

(I hate to be splitting hairs, but "semi annual" means twice a year. "Bi-annual" means every 2 years.)

Old 12-25-2006, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 10,545 times
Wink TEnnessee

Jonesborough in East Tennessee was the original capitol of Tennessee.

The Stokes Monkey Trial was held in Dayton Tennessee just north east of Chattanooga.

The Klu Klux Klan originated in Columbia, Tennessee, (just South of Nashville)

Nashville is the home of Country Music and the Grand Ole Opry.

Thunder Road was filmed just north of Knoxville, Tn.

Buford *****r of Walking Tall fame was the Sheriff of McNairy County (Selmer, Adamsville in west Tennessee)

Jackson hosts the Rockabilly Hall of Fame and annual rockabilly fest. Jackson is the homeplace of the late Carl Perkins

Jackson hosts the NAIA women's national basketball championships each March.

Trenton just north of Jackson is the Teapot Capitol of the world

Shelbyville is the Walking Horse Capitol of the world and hosts the annual walking horse celebration and championship.

University of Tennessee has the second largest Football stadium capacity wise in the country.

State flower is the Iris........

I could go on and on......but enough is enough

Old 12-25-2006, 03:47 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeseg View Post
Jonesborough in East Tennessee was the original capitol of Tennessee.

The Stokes Monkey Trial was held in Dayton Tennessee just north east of Chattanooga.

The Klu Klux Klan originated in Columbia, Tennessee, (just South of Nashville)

Nashville is the home of Country Music and the Grand Ole Opry.

Thunder Road was filmed just north of Knoxville, Tn.

Buford *****r of Walking Tall fame was the Sheriff of McNairy County (Selmer, Adamsville in west Tennessee)

Jackson hosts the Rockabilly Hall of Fame and annual rockabilly fest. Jackson is the homeplace of the late Carl Perkins

Jackson hosts the NAIA women's national basketball championships each March.

Trenton just north of Jackson is the Teapot Capitol of the world

Shelbyville is the Walking Horse Capitol of the world and hosts the annual walking horse celebration and championship.

University of Tennessee has the second largest Football stadium capacity wise in the country.

State flower is the Iris........

I could go on and on......but enough is enough

I though the original Klan was organized in Pulaski.

Old 12-25-2006, 06:36 PM

950 posts, read 3,190,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I though the original Klan was organized in Pulaski.
So do I. I still say it is Pulaski. It is in the books and every teacher in Tennessee I had, said so.

Old 12-25-2006, 06:48 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
So do I. I still say it is Pulaski. It is in the books and every teacher in Tennessee I had, said so.

Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, AL. agrees also

http://www.iupui.edu/~aao/kkk.html (broken link)

Old 12-26-2006, 06:35 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
No, what's it made of?

You may want to wait till all the Christmas goodies are gone, then try this!

Earthquake Cake

Spray 9x13 pan with nonstick spray
Mix 1 cup coconut and 1 cup chopped nuts. Press into pan.

Mix 1 box chocolate base cake mix as directed (Swiss, German Chocolate, or Double Dutch). Pour into pan.

Mix and drop on top of cake mix using a teaspoon:
8 oz. cream cheese, 1 box powdered sugar (16 oz.), 1 stick melted butter or margarine.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to one hour. It cracks on top when done.

This recipe is from a souvenir edition of the Lakeview Times on Reelfoot Lake.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-27-2006, 09:01 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
You might want to hear a less well-known story about Pulaski. In 1989 an Aryan Nation group planned a rally in Pulaski. 5,000 plus people signed a petition to condemn the group. When the Aryan Nation arrived in October 1989 for their rally, they found the town deserted. This was a Saturday, the busiest shopping day of the week. More than 180 merchants (including Wal-Mart), almost the entire town, shut down their stores in protest. When the group made its hate speeches there wasn't anyone around to hear them and they never came back. Because the townspeople were successful in their protest they formed a group called Giles Countians United consisting of white, black, Jews and gentiles and now hold an annual Brotherhood Weekend. In 2000 they organized a parade and rally in memory of Dr Martin Luther King. Hate groups still show up in Pulaski, and their free speech rights let them, but that doesn't mean they're welcome.

And while we're on this type of subject, here's another story about Tennessee that you don't hear about. Did you know that in 1998, a bunch of middle school kids in the town of Whitwell (a town of less than 2,000, somewhere near Pikeville ) started a Children's Holocaust Memorial? They learned in their class that Norweigans wore paperclips to show their solidarity with Jews forced to wear stars of David. So the class decided to collect paperclips (6 million for the 6 million Jews that were killed). When word got out about what they were doing, they started to get letters with stories about WWII from Jewish families along with the paperclips. Two reporters in Washington DC heard about it and wrote stories for Austrian and German newspapers and more stuff poured into the school from overseas. At one point, they had 30,000 documents along with the paperclips. The reporters obtained a German railroad car (only 4 in the US) used to transport Jews to the camps, and shipped it to the school. It now sits in a park next to the school along with the paperclips and materials the children received from around the world. You can see it for free but when school is in session, you need to call ahead. The Children's Holocaust Memorial was dedicated in 2001. They even made a movie about it. After you read the synopsis, click on the link for The Story Continues:

http://www.paperclipsmovie.com/synopsis.php (broken link)

These are two of the stories you never hear about Tennessee.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:56 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Question Not trying to be mean, I just

get confused when I read this statement. Can anyone explain where Tennessee (and other states) can be found in the bible? Am I missing something in the context?

I have just found this site, and read through it. I was a little surprised that the New Madrid Fault was of so little mention. It is a biblical fault line running under Tennessee, and other states.

I appreciate any help with this. It will be part of my "learn something new every day" plan.

Thanks,

Tek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee