Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 08:14 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times

Advertisements

I am so glad that everything is going well Forest Breath. Many thanks to Harry Chickpea for sure. I am glad that you got the link also (and remember that the DM feature works great for such things!)

Please keep us updated on this project and I hope to make your housewarming party!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Forest Breath, I would scab the 2 x 6 where they butt together. I don't think it's necessary to do both sides though. You should put in the X supports between the joists for warping though before the plywood goes down.....
What material are you going to use for the roof and outside walls ¿

Old 04-30-2008, 06:17 AM

Forest Breath, I would also buy a small generator from some place like Harborfreight to make my life a lot easier. You have a lot of nails to go through....hehehehe. It would also give ya portable power down the road...

Old 04-30-2008, 06:24 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
In case you are going to be living directly on the plywood - not using it as a subfloor - make sure you use spiral shank nails so they don't creep back up. Those little buggers are no fun when they snag your sock @ 4 am. lol

Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
In case you are going to be living directly on the plywood - not using it as a subfloor - make sure you use spiral shank nails so they don't creep back up. Those little buggers are no fun when they snag your sock @ 4 am. lol
Good point JK, I would use them anyways...hate creaking floors....

Old 04-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Better yet, screw it down.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 AM

300 posts, read 1,455,872 times
Galvanized nails? I hope so because that is what I got. LOL

About how much does a generator cost? I need one that will run a small air compressor.

What is suggested for the walls? Someone said 1/4 inch plywood (OSB?) or something.

Would like to hear all suggestions before I turn my wood order in this evening.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Breath View Post
Galvanized nails? I hope so because that is what I got. LOL

About how much does a generator cost? I need one that will run a small air compressor.

What is suggested for the walls? Someone said 1/4 inch plywood (OSB?) or something.

Would like to hear all suggestions before I turn my wood order in this evening.
1/4" plywood, don't think so - I could put my fist through that.......hehehehe...... How about a small limb from a tree in 50 MPH winds ¿ It'd be like a piece of glass....

Old 04-30-2008, 06:40 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,519 posts, read 6,325,899 times
Sounds like youre making excellent progress.

No OSB. Even I know that. Not sure whats is the best. Youll need to check with our resident expert. When we build our shop/barn 20 years ago we used wood siding that came in 4X8 sheets. T1-11 (?) . Anyway its groved to look like planking and you can stain or paint it. Its held up extremely well and it still looks nice.

I collect folk art so these things catch my eye. I remember seeing a house somewhere that used tree trunks for the porch posts . The railngs and side supports were branches and interwined limbs. Think of all the "gingerbread" on a Victorian porch and replace it with branches. It was Kewl. If I could remember where Id post a pic.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:25 AM

300 posts, read 1,455,872 times
Got the wood delivered yesterday for the walls. I am so excited. Yesterday we got the rest of the subflooring put down. I have to admit, when we started it, we were putting it down wrong. It was NOT fitting together properly. This has certianly been a learning experience for us. But honestly, for 3 people who have absolutely NO experience in building a house, thank to you guys, Jimmy and Hiwassee Builders Supply in Athens, it is coming along fine. We got all of that subflooring nailed down by hand other than the two last rows. They are tacked down in the corners and Chris will be putting the rest of the nails in this morning. Yes....I have some blisters on my right hand. LOL But to know we built every bit of that floor by hand AND.....we all ran around on it, jumped on it, Cletus and Perrin ran and chased each other on it, we bounced and sat and skipped and played games and the floor is as sturdy as it can be, not budging, not bouncing, not moving, not nothing....just a good solid floor and we are so proud!

We are waiting until Monday to start the walls. I am looking into a generator because well....my right hand tells me it might be a good idea. I nailed while Amanda and Chris laid the plywood down and after over 200 nails...I need a generator. LOL So I will check on that and get one for next week.

Meanwhile, we are going to get the outhouse built this weekend....I hope....if the rains are not too bad. We have the wood and the pit dug, so we should have an outhouse in a few days.

I will get as many people as I can over to help raise the walls when the time comes. That will be a big day, but you know....every day that we are able to accomplish something is a big day. I am going to get some pics of yesterday up on my photobucket and will post them in a bit.

Again...thanks everyone (especially Harry CHickpea....not sure what I would have done if you had not noticed that floor!)

edit: to add pictures:

Cletus enjoys the new floor!

Yay it is a floor!!!!!!!

View south from the house

View east from the house

Last edited by Forest Breath; 05-02-2008 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee