Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 03:00 AM

1,056 posts, read 726,150 times

Advertisements

From this article...

"...we can't do traffic lights out in the county."

Is it true that the county highway departments can't add traffic lights? I know city roads can, and TDOT can on state highways even in unincorporated areas, but I've indeed never seen any "out in the county" except on very large highways.

NOTE: This IS relevant to Tennessee specifically. It is seemingly not a nationwide thing. See spoiler for details.
Spoiler
It becomes irrelevant in Virginia, where every road is a state road.

It becomes irrelevant in the District of Columbia, where 100% of the area is incorporated.

It becomes irrelevant in Hawaii, where the only incorporated area is the City and County of Honolulu, yet Hilo (and surely some smaller unincorporated cities) have traffic lights on entirely non-state-road intersections.

Reasons I'm furious with this state-level restriction (if it really exists):
--The intersection mentioned above really NEEDS either a traffic light or a roundabout.
--Even if it wasn't a problem for the above intersection, surely several other mainly-urban counties have faced this problem before. Even Rutherford, Montgomery, Hamilton, Knox and Shelby Counties have unincorporated areas (Davidson doesn't because it's a city-county).
--It's just a sign of corruption in general. Isn't Tennessee, for all its errors, known for granting strong home rule powers? This basically contradicts that.
--Even if they have reasons for the above, it would mean TDOT would have to get involved and add a state highway crossing these problematic intersections; as if they didn't already need one crossing that very intersection anyways!

P.S.: Do you think this supposed restriction on the county road departments should be lifted? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 10:05 AM

529 posts, read 491,427 times
When a city incorporates, they in effect become responsible only for maintaining all non-state roadways within the incorporated area, and relieving the county of such maintenance. They collect taxes for that purpose. What you are suggesting is that city residents should pay for county issues, reducing the amount of money the city has to fix issues in the in their own areas that also are safety concerns.

When you pointed out the limited areas that this is not a problem, only one government agency (state/county/city) "owns" the roads, so no problems other than what actually gets fixed, and what doesn't. Reality is 99%+ of the roads are not owned by a single agency, and what you describe is a very common issue.

State has power over the counties, who have power over the cities. Doesn't work the other way though.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:20 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,154 times
I've seen traffic lights in unincorporated Shelby County

Old 03-28-2020, 04:22 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
From this article...

"...we can't do traffic lights out in the county."

Is it true that the county highway departments can't add traffic lights? I know city roads can, and TDOT can on state highways even in unincorporated areas, but I've indeed never seen any "out in the county" except on very large highways.

NOTE: This IS relevant to Tennessee specifically. It is seemingly not a nationwide thing. See spoiler for details.
Spoiler
It becomes irrelevant in Virginia, where every road is a state road.

It becomes irrelevant in the District of Columbia, where 100% of the area is incorporated.

It becomes irrelevant in Hawaii, where the only incorporated area is the City and County of Honolulu, yet Hilo (and surely some smaller unincorporated cities) have traffic lights on entirely non-state-road intersections.

Reasons I'm furious with this state-level restriction (if it really exists):
--The intersection mentioned above really NEEDS either a traffic light or a roundabout.
--Even if it wasn't a problem for the above intersection, surely several other mainly-urban counties have faced this problem before. Even Rutherford, Montgomery, Hamilton, Knox and Shelby Counties have unincorporated areas (Davidson doesn't because it's a city-county).
--It's just a sign of corruption in general. Isn't Tennessee, for all its errors, known for granting strong home rule powers? This basically contradicts that.
--Even if they have reasons for the above, it would mean TDOT would have to get involved and add a state highway crossing these problematic intersections; as if they didn't already need one crossing that very intersection anyways!

P.S.: Do you think this supposed restriction on the county road departments should be lifted? Why or why not?
I remember seeing that, too, and was puzzled by the response. There are traffic lights in rural areas of other counties. For what it's worth, TDOT on its web page says it "does not maintain any traffic signals" which suggests that county transportation departments must be behind the traffic signals that exist outside of cities. Maybe there's something about rural counties (non metropolitan areas) that can't have traffic signals outside of cities? I have no idea. It doesn't make much sense. Or maybe it's unique to Putnam County, that the county road department does not have the authority from the county commission to install traffic signals. Who knows.

For the record, here's the intersection you referred to above:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1542...!7i3328!8i1664

I generally much prefer roundabouts to 4-way stops, but in this instance a roundabout would cost a fortune since it would require demolishing a house and moving several utility poles. A 4-way stop here is fine, although at some point it'll probably have to be upgraded to a traffic signal.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-28-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
I've seen traffic lights in unincorporated Shelby County
Are you sure that wasn't on a state highway? I've seen them on S.R. 55 in unincorporated Warren County. (Morrison is incorporated, but there are traffic lights on parts of the highway in nearby unincorporated areas.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I remember seeing that, too, and was puzzled by the response. There are traffic lights in rural areas of other counties. For what it's worth, TDOT on its web page says it "does not maintain any traffic signals" which suggests that county transportation departments must be behind the traffic signals that exist outside of cities. Maybe there's something about rural counties (non metropolitan areas) that can't have traffic signals outside of cities? I have no idea. It doesn't make much sense. Or maybe it's unique to Putnam County, that the county road department does not have the authority from the county commission to install traffic signals. Who knows.

For the record, here's the intersection you referred to above:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1542...!7i3328!8i1664

I generally much prefer roundabouts to 4-way stops, but in this instance a roundabout would cost a fortune since it would require demolishing a house and moving several utility poles. A 4-way stop here is fine, although at some point it'll probably have to be upgraded to a traffic signal.
Well if that's the case, Cookeville and/or Baxter may ought to consider annexing the Double Springs area, and Silver Point and/or Buffalo Valley may ought to consider incorporating with surrounding areas included to meet the 1,500 people needed (perhaps even both as a single city with two "downtowns", similar to Gruetli-Laager in Grundy County). It is very odd, and those areas are likely to need it one day if what you've said is true.

Also, if that's really the case about counties/metro areas, it's really unfair. No way a mostly rural metro county like Smith, Macon or Hickman should be considered more "urban" than a micro core county!

Old 03-29-2020, 09:40 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
There are LOTS of traffic lights outside city limits in Hamilton County. Some quite a ways out. It's about funding and traffic counts.

Looking at that intersection, it's a clear candidate for a roundabout (depending on traffic counts). You could easily fit an offset roundabout there without doing anything to the house, and distribution-level utility poles are relatively cheap to move.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Are you sure that wasn't on a state highway? I've seen them on S.R. 55 in unincorporated Warren County. (Morrison is incorporated, but there are traffic lights on parts of the highway in nearby unincorporated areas.)
Just a few that I know off the top of my head.

Houston Levee & Walnut Grove: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1295...7i16384!8i8192

Raleigh-LaGrange & Houston Hill:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1168...7i13312!8i6656

Hacks Cross & Holmes:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0055...7i16384!8i8192

Hacks Cross & Meadow Vale
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0275...7i16384!8i8192

Winchester & Champion Hills
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0478...7i16384!8i8192

Old 03-30-2020, 06:46 PM

Question Thanks!

Quote:
Just a few that I know off the top of my head.

Houston Levee & Walnut Grove: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1295...7i16384!8i8192

Raleigh-LaGrange & Houston Hill:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1168...7i13312!8i6656

Hacks Cross & Holmes:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0055...7i16384!8i8192

Hacks Cross & Meadow Vale
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0275...7i16384!8i8192

Winchester & Champion Hills
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0478...7i16384!8i8192
Oh, so apparently they're NOT all on state highways! Maybe JMT was right, that it is something about metro areas regardless of traffic volumes and actual urbanity? EDIT: Although Warren County isn't a "metropolitan" county, the unincorporated traffic lights there are all on state highways, so it could still be the case.

Last edited by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M.; 03-30-2020 at 07:10 PM..

Old 03-31-2020, 08:22 AM

It's probably a combination of traffic volume and funding. Larger counties like Shelby, Rutherford, and Williamson have a ton more resources and funding compared to smaller counties like Warren, Roane, or Gibson. If there was a need for a traffic light at an intersection of county routes, they may be able to scrape the several hundred thousand $$ needed for a traffic light, or they may try to make due with a four way stop and flashers.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:27 AM

Quote:
It's probably a combination of traffic volume and funding. Larger counties like Shelby, Rutherford, and Williamson have a ton more resources and funding compared to smaller counties like Warren, Roane, or Gibson. If there was a need for a traffic light at an intersection of county routes, they may be able to scrape the several hundred thousand $$ needed for a traffic light, or they may try to make due with a four way stop and flashers.
True, but even Williamson County isn't quite a major city county (although it likely will be one day), and Putnam County isn't really a "smaller" nor rural county. It seems almost as though people in Putnam County are as unwilling to embrace their urbanity and people in the Upland South in general are to embrace their subtropicality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee