Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 06:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by siennaoconnor View Post
at Dave's Plant Files Database there are 339 bamboo cultivars listed so far. When I finally get to TN I have long wanted some Black Bamboo (Phyllostachys nigra) my fav and also pricey but at daves you could prolly get someone to trade you some cuttings for postage ( it is done all the time). Each listing tells how it grows, invasive or not and what growing zone it will do well in. Check it out ;-)
That is GREAT info, thank you sharing! Maybe I CAN find a bamboo that will work in my yard.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:54 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Oh yeah our last frost date here is May 10 so it will be awhile for my garden.

Wow, I didn't realize it's that late. Not much earlier than ours here in upstate NY. They strongly advise everyone to wait until Memorial Day weekend, but most of us are chomping at the bit by the end of April.

How long does the season last? I would think (hope? ) you get at least a month more than us?

Old 02-19-2009, 06:42 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Wow, I didn't realize it's that late. Not much earlier than ours here in upstate NY. They strongly advise everyone to wait until Memorial Day weekend, but most of us are chomping at the bit by the end of April.

How long does the season last? I would think (hope? ) you get at least a month more than us?
May 10th is what the locals tell me. I don't think most of TN is that late. Just us because we are so high in the mountains. I remember my first winter here and we got snow in April. The cold temps don't last long by that time but we can still get freezes.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:38 PM

66 posts, read 81,520 times
Mike and Lisa, I was sent this thread this morning by my wife (we are looking to go off the grid). I started on page one at 7am, I read up to page 80 and it is now 8:31pm. We live in Johnson City as well although I am originally from Sevierville. I couldn't stop reading the incredible story that you have written. I laughed, I sighed, I oohed and awed and I can't wait to get up tomorrow and finish the saga. Kudos to you both, I wish you peace and happiness and I thank you for sharing your adventure with everyone. I tip my hat to Nicole for the gift she gave you Lisa (very thoughtful) and I hope 98 is a new daddy by now. Goodnight

Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,765 times
That is an absolutely breathtaking home site Lisa. What a beautiful life you will have there.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Default Update for the Week of February 16

Good morning everyone. I hope you all had a good week. It was a very slow week up on our mountain.

On Monday I went into town for another dentist appointment. Just a check on his work so at least it didn't cost anything.

Tuesday Mike and I went over to the other property to empty out the shipping container so that it will be ready to move here. Mike is planning on lining up our 2 shipping containers and leaving about 8-10 feet in between. Then we will put a roof on and have a covered place to store the tractor and 4-wheeler.

Wednesday we went running around and I ordered the Vermiculite for my garden, woo hoo. After that we went and visited with the lady who sold us our property. We also stopped in and visited with another old neighbor on our way home. It was a nice day but the skies started to change and it was time to get home. It was looking really nasty out. This is what we had rolling in and it doesn't look pretty.

Needless to say it was a windy and wet storm that stayed with us.

Finally on Saturday we had a sunny day. Mike went up and changed the oil on the lawn mower and I did a top to bottom scrub in the house. It was nice to finally get some fresh air flowing in the house.

By Saturday night and all day Sunday the weather changed again. It's been snowing and we haven't gotten a break. Mike and I have been stranded in the house because it is just miserable and cold out.

On the bright side. Our system did very well again this week. No need for the generator. We are doing much better than we expected.

I'm sorry that is all there is. Sometimes life just throws a curve ball. We are "so" ready for Spring. Have a great week and I will write again on Monday.

Lisa

Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Wow YLisa you really do have a bird's eye view of the weather from your mountain top! Beautiful on those nice days kind of attention getting on the bad ones.

At least you have time to think of plans you want to do when the weather breaks.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 AM

15 posts, read 56,909 times
If you are Square Foot Gardening, make sure it's Coarse Vermiculite! I know from experience the small stuff doesn't work. Like Mark Twain said: Good judgement comes from experience Experience comes from bad judgement

Old 02-23-2009, 10:59 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
It's good to slow down for a little bit every now and then. You two have been working pretty hard and I'm just about wore out just from reading what you've done! lol

Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,104 times
Lisa,
Your picture reminded me of last summer when we lived on a mountaintop in NC. Watching the weather come in was a neat thing to living there.
Think of this time before spring arrives as a calm before a storm. You both need to relax a bit.....
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee