Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 07:46 AM

209 posts, read 417,614 times

Advertisements

Lisa & Mike,
Your place looks great! I have enjoyed watching your progress & am amazed and impressed - thank you for sharing it. Lisa, I have seen other posts about your planned square foot garden. Will you let me know where (if) you find the vermiculite? I'm down in Unicoi county and it sounds hard to find...Thanks.
Tammy

Old 02-16-2009, 08:09 AM

363 posts, read 583,333 times
Thanks again for the update.

Being outside not only brought you and Mike a change of pace and an inventory of chores to do but also gave us voyuers a look at your incredible view.

Now tell me, younglisa...how could either one of you put on a few pounds? Inactivity?? When??

Old 02-16-2009, 09:45 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Another great "episode" Lisa!
A note about the bamboo: I too was looking into it because of the fast grow and green all year round factor, couldn't believe it grew here either. However I have also been told by many people that it is EXTREMELY invasive. Meaning if you plant it, plan to have it forever, if you don't like it, to bad, can't get rid of it all. It sends out underground shoots everywhere and will grow into places you don't want it. For our yard, it will not do for that reason, but if you are planning on putting it way, way far away from the house, veggie garden, other flower garden spots, it may work for you. Just sharing my research with ya.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,384 times
Yes bamboo is incredibly invasive. Neighbors that shared a back fence with my parents when I was growing up planted bamboo and my dad has been fighting it ever since. The stuff pops up yards away from where the nearest plant is visible... usually in the middle of our backyard. When it does it starts out as a nub then grows up like a spike. Stepping on it or tripping over it sucks and running over it with a mower is a nasty surprise. Though I imagine that is less of an issue on a rider, lol.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Hey Lisa and Mike! Glad to read your post, as usual! I too am going to jump on the bamboo bandwagon - BE CAREFUL! I have always equated bamboo with kudzu!!

Love the pond on geese on your "old" property! Wow, now I am jealous of TWO of your places! LOL

Old 02-16-2009, 01:21 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,889 times
That's a shame about the bamboo; I was so psyched when I saw the pics.
So there's no way to grow it and control it, huh?

Amazing views Lisa,...lowers my blood pressure just looking at the pics!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,104 times
Could you grow Bamboo by planting it in a pot to keep it contained?
Then it wouldn't become invasive. But Bamboo makes a great living fence.
Loved the update.
Pam

Old 02-16-2009, 02:56 PM

630 posts, read 2,432,565 times
I also saw a case on one of those court tv shows. I think it was People's court, but not sure.
This couple had planted bamboo, and it had gone over into their neighbors property. Granted these were houses with lots of acreage, but somehow the bamboo managed to filtrate into the neighbors yard and he couldn't get rid of it.
The couple that planted the bamboo lost their case. They also had to figure out a way to stop it from invading their neighbors property.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:28 PM

170 posts, read 463,275 times
Hi from California! and congratulations on your endeavor. I've really enjoyed reading your story and seeing your new home come together. I'd be dead in a week trying to do what you have accomplished. Have a happy life and thank you so much for the inspiration.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:28 PM

77 posts, read 406,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-moorlygho1 View Post
My thoughts as to why small and solar asked that might be because anything that converts elec to heat is the worst user. When you run your washer not only is your washer running but your hot water tank is trying to heat the next batch of water. Dryer converts elec to heat directly .Same with hair dryer and heating cables LOL. Regards Scott
Hit the nail on the head. I did not know if the solar and wind could handle the peak draw/use. It seems at if it does. The other portion was just a comment about some people run the generator even with sun doing the job to "top" off the batteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee