Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakhurstcowboy View Post
As far as my work situation I already know that I'm going to lose a huge amount of money per hour but I'm not real worried about it. My wife will make the same and maybe even a little more then what she makes now. My current hourly wage is 43.89 an hour but you have to remember, I have to pay 3 bucks a gallon for diesel and 300,000 for a fixer up house with one acre if I'm lucky.
Oh, boy. Your wife may make a little more? That is really surprising.

And yes, you will take a MASSIVE hit in your salary.

I would definitely get a job before I move.

I recently got somebody a job where I work. He was use to getting $27 an hour and is now making $10 an hour. The company did not want to hire him, but only did it because of my reference. Because of his past salary, they felt that he would not stay, and did not want to hire him.

The cost of living is much better, but I would crunch the numbers before I moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 11:03 PM

111 posts, read 375,084 times
On cheaper land or 30 plus acres White Pine and Morristown would be left out. Maybe Newport or somewhere in Bybee. Land is a little cheaper there and you'd still be within 45-55 minutes to east K'town. Don't be too impressed with faster driving, we have lower taxes here but make up for it with speeding tickets. I laughed the other day when a guy from Ohio said that the speed limit was a suggestion where he was from and down here they mean it. That holds true especially when they see your plates. Straw Plains sometimes has some decent deals or the Deep Springs area and are even closer to K'town.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:49 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,855 times
Last Thanksgiving we needed to be in Crossville for a very rare family reunion and back in Bristol that night. I had heard that unless you posed a major threat to other drivers that the cops turned a blind eye to speeders on Thanksgiving so I put it to the test. I made it to Crossvile in 2 1/2 hours, traffic was unusually light and I did not slow down passing any of the many cops along I-81 or I-40, I did the same comming back and nothing thats 400 miles in 5 hours. The point i'm trying to make is that how many areas have you lived in where a holiday is treated any differant than any other day except in the eyes of a child.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:40 PM

This state treats all holidays with reverence. Christmas is great.

No transplant better come to my daughter's school and try to change how they celebrate Christmas or Easter. Or else.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:55 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This state treats all holidays with reverence. Christmas is great.

No transplant better come to my daughter's school and try to change how they celebrate Christmas or Easter. Or else.
There better be room for some Hanukkah and Passover celebrations because we are on the way!!!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HengyMama View Post
There better be room for some Hanukkah and Passover celebrations because we are on the way!!!
I once saw someone look on a calendar and go, "Hey, it's cha-nuk-ka!"

We were rolling on the floor.

I'm not sure where you're moving to, but there's a nice Jewish Community Center out near Bellevue in Nashville.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:12 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HengyMama View Post
As long as you don't try to tell your children's teachers that they must replace their Christmas and Easter parties with Hanukkah and Passover celebrations, I'm sure they'd love to include your wonderful traditions and learn from them.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:48 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
As long as you don't try to tell your children's teachers that they must replace their Christmas and Easter parties with Hanukkah and Passover celebrations, I'm sure they'd love to include your wonderful traditions and learn from them.
I homeschool my daughter so no worries there. Hanukkah and Passover celebrations are actually biblical celebrations observed by those in the New Testament, not just Jewish people. I don't mind educating people in the Hebrew roots of biblical Christianity.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:24 AM

HengyMama:

A Jewish lady came to my daughter's school last December and explained the tradition of the dreidle. My daughter repeated the whole story back to me. So, yes, that is most welcome, too!

Old 06-17-2007, 06:41 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
All celebrations, observances, etc. are welcomed in east Tennessee but arguably none are more anticipated than the opening day of deer season.

Lest you think that it is anticipated only by the menfolk, the womenfolk secretly mark this as the unofficial start to the winter holidays shopping sprees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee