Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 09:03 AM

86 posts, read 414,581 times

Advertisements

Well, ummm, duh! I did the things which were important at the time. We had been to Gatlinburg many times and we researched the safety, schools, and economy. (being from MI..those were the three most important things at the time) Nothing is as it seems when you are out of a job, an employer calls with a terrific opportunity, you research what you can with the time you have, and make a decision. Please don't insult my intelligence with, "Didn't you come down here before actually making the decision to move". I did. Meijer was the last thing I was worried about at that point in time. I just said, it's something I miss. When you actually start "living" is when the things creep up on you and dissappoint. As for the tomatoes comment, you said Knoxville---I said my area which is Sevier county....Grainger county tomatoes at Kroger and Walmart were the price I said. I don't want to be B*$chy about it, but jeez....I was trying to shed some light onto what I am having a hard time with here and you cut into me....calm down!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:05 AM

Thanks for all of the nice helpful comments....I've been here a total of 5 months and really need the help! I DO like it here!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:05 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Amy, I too am sorry you are having such issues, but I do agree with other posters. Gatlinburg is a vacation resort town. Housing prices are VERY expensive compared to most other towns in East TN. That is because the very rich buy them to have and use only a few months out of the year and the rentals, I'm sure you noticed are not only my the month but by the week and state how many people the unit will sleep. This is a sure indicator of vacation rentals.
Check just down HWY 321 to Cosby. They have house rentals much cheaper for those who work in Gatlinburg and live here year round. But you will have to jump quick as the decent ones are gone quick. Also "word of mouth" and "who you know" is sometimes the only way landlords rent. So talk to folks in the grocery stores, bank, co-workers etc. They may be your best source of info on housing.
Good luck to you! I do envy you the ability to drive into the national park any day, time you want. It is a beautiful town in our country and remember, it is a VERY desirable place to live work and play, that does come with a price.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:07 AM

TN Bound:

I was from Lower Michigan. Upper is lower priced the the lower part of MI, yes. I lived there my whole life so I guess I'm sheltered in what "world experience" I have. I know MI is a "cheap" housing market, but the taxes are not. So, you trade things for other things and you find other things to crab about. (like I did...haha)

I will use the advice you gave...THANKS!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:09 AM

MBMOUSE:

Yes, you are right. It comes with a price. In all reality, I'm very happy with my sons school, the safety, the park, etc. It's just a big ol' culture shock!

Old 01-19-2007, 09:11 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
Well we have Walmarts and Winn Dixie stores in Florida open 24 hours a day but i'm not expecting a Winn Dixie store when i move to TN as it's based in the Southeast. Yeah, maybe a little more research before you moved would have helped. I mean a grocery store is minor but to not know what housing pricing is until after you move especially to the busiest and most populated vacation spot in east TN?? We're in the same boat, we have to sell our home before we can buy but we're doing lots of research on the location, prices and schools more than grocery stores. I hope it works out for you. maybe just a move to another area and your outlook will change. Good luch

Old 01-19-2007, 09:12 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
The first thing I ever posted on here was to warn a single girl looking to move from Florida to Gatlinburg. I thought that was a huge mistake.

I've lived in tourist areas before, and I don't think it is ever a wise decision to move to one. Traffic, prices and a large proportion of transplants can make for big headaches.

I lived in Tennessee for about a year and really started to feel frustrated, too. At the time, I was trying to find a job and my husband was trying to find a better one, and we were really struggling. We have now found good jobs and things are MUCH better.

I think that going to work and meeting locals and new transplants has been great.

I'm finding housing prices are not great, either. They are much better than a lot of the country, but their are a LOT of people moving in and jacking up the prices. We are still renting, and quite frankly, I'm starting to panic a little.

I am concerned about you not liking the laid-back culture. Unless you adapt, I think you'll have a rough time of it anywhere in East Tennessee. This is the way it is, and quite frankly, the more you tried to speed people up around here, the slower they will go.

You are probably going to have to slow down, too, or move on.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:14 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
LOL!!! I do understand that. I experienced the same when I moved here. I did as much research as I could at the time but that was 10 years ago. It took me 3 moves, but we also love it here, have gotten used to and now appreciate the "culture shock" and would never dream of living anywhere else! A note too about schools in TN. If you like the school your child is in but want to live in another school district, as long as it is in the same county (assuming county school) you can transport your child to that first school. That does open up housing options. Talk with a Realtor, they charge nothing until you buy and then it is on the sellers side, not yours. Make sure they are a "buyers agent" and tell them what you need. They may surprise you and find just what you are looking for in your price range. It sure can't hurt.
I hope that helps and please keep us informed on what you find.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:16 AM

630 posts, read 2,432,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyevansmom View Post
TN Bound:

I was from Lower Michigan. Upper is lower priced the the lower part of MI, yes. I lived there my whole life so I guess I'm sheltered in what "world experience" I have. I know MI is a "cheap" housing market, but the taxes are not. So, you trade things for other things and you find other things to crab about. (like I did...haha)

I will use the advice you gave...THANKS!
My Dad was stationed at K.I. Sawyer A.F.B., in the U.P.
When the base closed down, the city was given back to the county, which had leased it out.
They renamed the area, the town of Sawyer.

There is a lot of housing there, but, they can only sell off a little at a time, because they didn't want to flood the market.
We took a trip up there a few years ago, to check it out.

It's pretty much the same... beautiful area.
But, I wouldn't want to live there... they have brutally cold winters, and a lot of mosquitoes in the summer.

WELCOME to TENNESSEE !!!

Take a deep breath, get out and talk to people.
MbMouse is right.... sometimes, word of mouth is the best way to find housing.
I know it can be very stressful and frustrating moving to a new area that you aren't too familiar with.

Like I said, in my earlier post... go on an "Adventure."

Have fun.....

Old 01-19-2007, 09:17 AM

JMT:

Aside from the cost of housing, is there anything in my post YOU would consider something to "research" before relocating????

How about using a cost-of-living comparison calculator on internet, and every website you go to is telling you Knoxville TN is much less. Does that count? Well, I did that for about a week straight.

How about looking for housing on realty sites and seeing that some are a zillion dollars, but knowing those are in Gatlinburg and you start researching other towns and find some nice "pictures" but not nice when you see them in person, is that not considered "researching?

And, oh, when relocating, sometimes after searching for a job in your own state for more than 6 months with only 2 interviews, and then starting to look elsewhere and TN calls within 2 weeks with over 5 interviews, don't you think you know it's time to go????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee