Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:33 PM

6 posts, read 15,725 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I have purchased property in Gray, TN in the community/development of Crestview. I have never been to Tennessee before. We are native South Floridians, living amongst the over-populated, cookie-cutter homes with no backyard, high insurance rates and taxes along with those wonderful hurricanes! We are looking to get away from all of this. We have two small children. My husband went up to the JC area and bought a couple of lots and now he would like to take myself and our children to see if I would consider moving! I am very excited, but not knowing too much about the area, I have a lot of questions! Can anyone give me some input on the Gray, TN area, what do you think? Schools are obviously very important. Activites for the kids, malls, shopping, restaurants.. how developed is this area?

I sure do appreciate your input!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 12:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,347,849 times
I live in Gray. I LOVE the schools and you will be less than 10 minutes drive to JC which has everything you will need. There are a bunch of things for kids to do, lots of community sports and parks in JC and Kingsport.
You will love it! Just remember, it is a slower pace of life and it is best to try to acclimate to the ways here.
Read through several pages of the posts here, there is a bunch of info on the Tri-Cities area, this will all pertain to most of your questions as Gray is kind of in the middle of the Tri-Cities even though it feels very "country"
Welcome home to East TN!!!!

Old 02-18-2007, 02:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,625,827 times
Question question-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open2Ideas View Post
If you are thinking of relocating to Tennessee, you should be willing to live with closed mindedness, ignorance, racism, and animal neglect/cruelty. Religion is one of the most important things to most Tennesseans. No matter how they treat other people and/or animals or what views they have on anything else, if they are practicing or professed Chrisitians, they are seen as good people. If you don't attend church, you will be hounded to do so and looked down upon if you don't.

Like it or not Tennesseans, this is the truth.

Frankly, the church issue is a personal choice.

Re: animals- where are you seeing cruelty? just curious

sunny.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:25 AM

421 posts, read 1,693,312 times
Quote:
If you are thinking of relocating to Tennessee, you should be willing to live with closed mindedness, ignorance, racism, and animal neglect/cruelty. Religion is one of the most important things to most Tennesseans. No matter how they treat other people and/or animals or what views they have on anything else, if they are practicing or professed Chrisitians, they are seen as good people. If you don't attend church, you will be hounded to do so and looked down upon if you don't.

Every now & then we see posts like this but then the poster disappears...
Never can give any specifics,just generalizations & stereotypes.
First post for this fool.And probably the last.I wonder why?....

I know exactly the place for you "Open2Ideas"! And they're open to ideas too!
But then you'll probably complain about it there too...

firepower

Old 02-19-2007, 11:19 AM

64 posts, read 321,220 times
Funny comment about cruelty to animals, seeing as I was just talking to a friend of mine about an acquaintance who bathes with her poodle. Now that's cruel! LOL (oh, and she's a transplant to TN).

To the original poster - there's a nice community in Middle Tenn, right outside of Nashville, called Hendersonville. They have award winning public schools, and the community is very family-centered. You could probably find the rents you want, but real estate is relatively high to purchase. The town goes to sleep after 10pm, save a few teenagers playing volley-ball at the city court. I lived there 18 years and found my experience worry-free.

As for getting $40,000 to teach...hmmm, that would depend on your years of experience. I think new teachers start around $34,000 - and that's in the Nashville school districts. You could probably do better financially if you are a self-employed go-getter or can get hired as an accountant by one of the larger companies or hospitals. Check out the Nashville Chamber of Commerce website under Joblinks.

Good luck, and if you'd like more information, please send me a private message.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:01 PM
ATA

2 posts, read 6,978 times
Don't forget about Murfreesboro, TN. Middle Tennessee State University. I grew up in Ann Arbor Michigan, and attended college in Boulder Colorado. I find the Middle Tennessee area Great, a short drive in any direction will put you at the door to all possiblites. New 840,000 sf mall, 40 million into the old mall, a new hospital, a new schools and The Web School in Bell Buckle is internationally acclaimed. I train dogs and find that animals are family members here. I do attend church and alot of our members are interracial couples. Check us out. Make a educated decision and search murfreesboro Tennessee or Rutherford county TN.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:21 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,387,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
RLR doesn't want mountains, so I think Middle Tennessee would be more fitting. But definitely avoid West Tennessee unless you just happen to like poverty and crime.
The Tri-Cities are not in the mountains but close enough to see at some miles distance. In spring and fall they are often snow-covered while there is no snow at all where we are. The terrain here ranges from flat to hilly.

You can't go wrong moving to Gray. It is right smack in the middle of everything, yet has a country feel. You can drive to almost anywhere in the Tri-Cities (Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol) in less than 30 minutes. I moved to this area 12 years ago and have never considered leaving.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:51 PM

90 posts, read 381,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlr View Post
I was looking at moving to Tennessee. Where should I move?
I need job opportunities (teaching?) or Accounting, good school for my 8-year old daughter, and reasonable living costs. I would like a neighborhood with sidewalks, not just interstate. Help. Thanks.
Bradley Co. is by far the best county to live in.....low taxes and good schools. My small town has sidewalks and a parks two blocks from my house. Elem. school 3 blocks away. Charleston is a wonderful small town to live in.
Good luck in your search.....

Old 02-20-2007, 03:15 PM

90 posts, read 381,977 times
Default ??????

Quote:

I am a transplant but have lived in Tn for several years. I have not met the people you have met. I live in Bradley Co. commonly called the Church of God capital of the world. I have never been treated or met anyone with this type of mine set. I live across the street from a small church ( Meth.) and cut my grass on Sundays and I have never had a single person say anything to me. However, during one of my weekend yard sales some of the ladies from the church came over after service and bought from me.....
I am a christian and don't attend church every sunday and I do not get hounded by anyone.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,925 times
02-16-2007, 09:20 AM
rlr
Junior Member Join Date: Feb 2007
2 posts, read 1,111 times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need job opportunities (teaching?) or Accounting, good school for my 8-year old daughter, and reasonable living costs. I would like a neighborhood with sidewalks, not just interstate. Help. Thanks.

Check out this website i found. www.lawsonhicksrealty.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee