Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 47,913 times

Advertisements

Hi, my fiancee is originally from the area and in the next few years we hope to be moving back here for him. I'm going to have to transfer my college when we move, so I was wondering: How long does it take to be considered an in-state resident for college tuition?

Thank!!

Sunny

Old 11-07-2008, 10:59 AM

300 posts, read 1,455,845 times
This may help:

http://www.collegeboard.com/about/as...df/sr_TN01.pdf

"Requirements for Resident Classification: Individuals having a domicile in Tennessee are classified as "in-state" and individuals with a domicile outside of Tennessee are classified as "out-of-state." To determine whether a student is domiciled in Tennessee all relevant information is considered by the institution. The student must provide supportive documentation to substantiate a domicile claim. Tennessee is the only state without a durational residency requirement, so that no set time period is determinative in establishing residence."

Old 11-07-2008, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 28,251 times
If he is a Tennessee resident and you two are married by the time you move back here you will be considered in-state for tuition paying purposes.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 47,913 times
Sweet, thanks everyone!!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 23,802 times
Hello, I will be moving to Nashville in January. My boyfriend is currently in dental school their. Next school year I will be applying to Vanderbilt for graduate school. I will have been living in TN for about 6 months. Will I need to pay out of state tuition?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:50 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,052 times
Vanderbilt is a private institution. There is no such thing as 'out-of-state' tuition at Vanderbilt -- or any other private institution, as far as I know.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:52 PM

9 posts, read 48,890 times
I would say after 5 years...but that's just me.

To the true locals (I moved here when I was 13), I would say never.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:49 PM

53 posts, read 174,611 times
Your right, TN Engineer to the locals, never...my husband was born here in Jefferson County his parents moved to Michigan for work when he was 2 years old...he went to school in Michigan and spent his summers down here with grandparents...when his parents retired and moved back to Tennessee we followed shortly later...we have been down here 17 years now and are still considered outsiders...

Old 07-24-2019, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,805 times
Hi! Im having to move to Tennessee for family reasons and im finishing my last year of highschool in Florida, how long do i have to wait to get residency for in-state tuition?

Old 07-24-2019, 01:35 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,908,827 times
Do you have one more year to go? I know it is difficult to move before your senior year, but you might look into the state scholarship programs you could be eligible for if you graduate from a TN high school. Otherwise, I am posting some info for residency, but your best bet is to make direct contact with the school(s) that interest you.

The State of Tennessee and the University of Tennessee System establishes student residency regulations.

Students under the age of 24 are considered dependent students and residency classification for tuition purposes is determined to be the same state as parent(s) or legal guardian domicile.
An emancipated student independent of parents may establish in-state classification by producing clear and convincing evidence of Tennessee domicile. Proof must be provided that the move to Tennessee was not primarily for obtaining educational opportunities for themselves, dependents, or spouse. Turning 18 in itself does not provide evidence that a student is emancipated for in-state tuition purposes. Intent to remain in the state after attending the university in itself does not provide evidence that the move to the state is incidental to educational purposes.
Students over the age of 24 or otherwise independent must provide clear and convincing evidence that the move to Tennessee is not for educational opportunities for themselves, dependents, or spouse. Intent to remain in the state after attending the University in itself does not provide evidence that the move to the state is incidental to educational purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee