Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,414,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandRach2 View Post
I just want to say I think it's pretty brave to move from one state to another. I really want to do that too, but it's just a matter of picking a place. I have been thinking of TN though, and if everyone says it's so great...My family I work for, they take trips to TN to vist family. I should get inside info. But ,how's the humidity in TN? Once I took a trip to Georgia, and the humidity there almost killed me. It was summertime, so maybe it was worse then, but still. But good luck to you LissieAnn, for finding a place you and your fiance like!
It's hard to answer. It really depends on you.

I see your from the VA/DC area. So in your case the humidity might feel about the same as where you live now. I don't think it would be much worse. You see, GA is on the ocean and so being that it is is more south than VA it was very hot and humid to you. Since Knoxville is on the other side of the mountains we are not that bad. Gosh, it might even seem more pleasant to you. VA can be brutally humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 08:02 PM

46 posts, read 121,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandRach2 View Post
I just want to say I think it's pretty brave to move from one state to another. I really want to do that too, but it's just a matter of picking a place. I have been thinking of TN though, and if everyone says it's so great...My family I work for, they take trips to TN to vist family. I should get inside info. But ,how's the humidity in TN? Once I took a trip to Georgia, and the humidity there almost killed me. It was summertime, so maybe it was worse then, but still. But good luck to you LissieAnn, for finding a place you and your fiance like!
LOL Thanks! Yeah, I figure I really can't go wrong. At this point I think the only state that would make me want to stay in California is Nevada, lol.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:19 PM

39 posts, read 115,952 times
Thanks for answering my question about humidity! It may seem like a silly question, but that's one thing about the weather that really bugs me, so it's nice to know it's not too bad. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 PM

6,364 posts, read 11,638,413 times
I dunno, it is pretty humid here. So maybe it's 85% instead of 95%. I think someone from California could find it opressive in the summer. But since we have seasons the humidity doesn't last forever.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I dunno, it is pretty humid here. So maybe it's 85% instead of 95%. I think someone from California could find it opressive in the summer. But since we have seasons the humidity doesn't last forever.
I would think that someone from California is definitely going to notice the humidity. So far, my unscientific observations from people on the forum is that some find it oppressive and some it doesn't bother as much. Like you said, maybe they anticipate the fall and get over it.

But I was really responding to the person from the coast of VA. I don't think there is going to be much of a difference. You really have to compare dewpoints, though, so I just don't know.

I've been to the coast of VA three times in summer and every time I thought the humidity was horrible. I also thought Savannah, Georgia was really, really awful.

But that was well before I had lived in swFlorida which is the subtropics. You don't really know about unbearable humidity until you've met that place, especially Naples, Bonita Springs, Fort Myers and Cape Coral.

Either way, my body has adjusted to all of those areas, but I've lived in the eastern half of the country my entire life.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:36 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,616,909 times
Hey, emmy, I haven't read all the way through this thread, but you said you had lived in Clarksville and it was 45 minutes from Nashville. How about Springfield? It's closer to Nashville, about 15,000 population.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,289,267 times
I'm originally from Long Island and I don't feel the humidity down here in middle TN that much. I think it's a lot less.

I do agree that it depends on what area of the country you're coming from. My friends from California think it's very humid here.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:48 PM

70 posts, read 174,714 times
Funny thing about perceived humidity. I currently live in the Los Angeles area of California and will be moving to Cookeville next year. Even in So Cal, you have some high humidity days. During this summer I was comparing temperature and humidity between Los Angeles and Cookeville on the Weather Channel. Guess what, sometimes the humidity was higher in Los Angeles. (All those swimming pools and sprinklers) Also, LA has temps in the 100's and Cookeville the highs are generally around the low to mid 90's.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSEA View Post
Funny thing about perceived humidity. I currently live in the Los Angeles area of California and will be moving to Cookeville next year. Even in So Cal, you have some high humidity days. During this summer I was comparing temperature and humidity between Los Angeles and Cookeville on the Weather Channel. Guess what, sometimes the humidity was higher in Los Angeles. (All those swimming pools and sprinklers) Also, LA has temps in the 100's and Cookeville the highs are generally around the low to mid 90's.
Always check the dewpoint. That's what makes the difference.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 AM

231 posts, read 587,205 times
I live in South Florida currently and also occassionally compare the weather reports between here and Cookeville. Sometimes, the heat indexes are comparable in the summer, but Cookeville will get days of relief from the searing heat/humidity, whereas you can plan on 90-100 degree heat pretty much from the middle of May - middle of October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee