Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:09 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,823 times

Advertisements

I just have to say that I was at the bus stop the other day and heard a lady speaking, I asked her where she was from because of her obvious accent and she said Norfolk. I always wonder why people come to NY of all places and told her we were relocating to TN--she said " Nah way, they're mean down there. Norfolk was bad! My kids could get shot at the bus stop!" I didn't try to tell her that Norfolk wasn't near where I was going...I was just curious as to why she chose NY (family) and had she ever seen snow before (yes, she had, no her kids had not...her husband use to be in the Navy).
Just thought I'd throw that out there...who knew Norfolk was "dangerous"? I just thought it was a Navy town...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 10:49 AM

14 posts, read 54,812 times
Average house cost.......... according to area, sq ft. br, bath etc. what did you have in mind. Tell me your dollar amount and I can give you a idea of what you can get for it in my area (cookeville, Sparta, etc)

Old 10-17-2006, 11:03 AM

243 posts, read 887,519 times
Wink Good Towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwporche View Post
Aside from the mountains (which we have PLENTY of) what other considerations do you have? Need a job? Have kids? Need a house or land? Did you want rural or quasi-city w/o the violence?

I would love to offer more insight to whats available in eastern TN. Johnson City, Kingsport and Bristol are nice cities and we have many lovely rural towns. Erwin is near the NC border 45 minutes to Asheville with lots of hiking, fishing, rafting and kayaking.
I Agree, Erwin is just the most beautiful place. I just love it there. If you go up I think hwy. 19 you get into the mountains going to NC. It is just so nice and the people are great. One drawback there is no work. Only a Wal-mart and not much else. Johnson City is not far and there is probabley work there. It all depends on what field you are in. We are moving to Tennessee this comming year. I think we will be settling in the Tri-Cities or Oak Ridge area. Good Luck.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:12 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis View Post
Average house cost.......... according to area, sq ft. br, bath etc. what did you have in mind. Tell me your dollar amount and I can give you a idea of what you can get for it in my area (cookeville, Sparta, etc)
Ok about 1600 sq ft, 2br 2ba, one story not over $100,000 could I get that in your area?

Old 10-18-2006, 05:48 PM

61 posts, read 260,290 times
We are soooooooooo gonna check out Erwin now! I fell in love with the pictures! Bloomingdale and Erwin are our top 2 choices now! You guys are great!

I'm guessing the Tv stations for Erwin come out of Johnson City? The more I research this place the more I am convinced it's the place for us! I am so excited!

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-18-2006 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: merge

Old 10-18-2006, 06:52 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Make sure you visit and spend some time in Erwin before you make a finale decision. Erwin is very pretty and has some very nice parts to it, especially if you like beautiful, up close mountain views. It is however, a totally different world from Johnson City. I never have quite put my finger on why, but it is .....well, different. I'm not saying it is bad, don't get me wrong there!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:02 PM

408 posts, read 1,978,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaLicious View Post
I'm guessing the Tv stations for Erwin come out of Johnson City? The more I research this place the more I am convinced it's the place for us! I am so excited!
They are out of Johnson City, Kingsport, and Bristol:

http://www.wcyb.tv/ in Bristol
http://www.foxtricities.com/ in Bristol, same people as above station does the news on this one too.
www.tri-cities.com (broken link) takes you to the site for WJHL, which is in Johnson City.
http://www.wkpttv.com/ in Kingsport.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:04 AM

61 posts, read 260,290 times
Thank you Insanesmmoch! I found a link to the Johnson City newspaper too and read a really sad story about a Momma dog and her puppies left on the side of I-26. Thank God some people found her and her babies and she was rescued! It's just sick how some people treat animals!

Old 10-19-2006, 01:17 PM

16 posts, read 51,057 times
Hi I Currently Live In Anderson Sc And Have Been Doing Alot Of Research On Small Towns In The Tn Mtns So Far The Best And I Have Gotten Great Replys On It,is Maryville Tn.they Have A Below Crime Average And Have Not Heard Anything Bad About This Area.also Aloca Is Near And 16 Miles From Knoxville And Only 20 From Pigeon Forge (i Think) So You Are Not The Only Tryin To Get Out And Away From The Crime.its Bad Here Also I Hope This Helps .if I Can Help You With Anymore Facts On It Let Me Know I Have Been Doing Research For About A Mth And 1/2 Now Good Luck

Old 10-19-2006, 04:03 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstrag View Post
Hi I Currently Live In Anderson Sc And Have Been Doing Alot Of Research On Small Towns In The Tn Mtns So Far The Best And I Have Gotten Great Replys On It,is Maryville Tn.they Have A Below Crime Average And Have Not Heard Anything Bad About This Area.also Aloca Is Near And 16 Miles From Knoxville And Only 20 From Pigeon Forge (i Think) So You Are Not The Only Tryin To Get Out And Away From The Crime.its Bad Here Also I Hope This Helps .if I Can Help You With Anymore Facts On It Let Me Know I Have Been Doing Research For About A Mth And 1/2 Now Good Luck
Have you priced homes in Maryville? What about jobs there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee