Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 09:41 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,441,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieCanalLvR View Post
I'm not stupid, I'm not sure what the difference between "non performance" and "performance" is then because to me if you can drive it down the road and it functions than its performance. Maybe I'm not as much of a "carguru" or whatever the terminology is, but I do know that Teslas are NOT worth the higher price and I'm sure thousands of other people do too thats why they aren't popular.
Right--that can be said of a lot of luxury carmakers if you're going by that you just need to be able to drive it down the road and it functions. Buying something like a used decades old Corolla will probably be just fine for you and you can probably find something that's in the low thousands or even less. That holds whether it's a Tesla or not, combustion engine or electric vehicle. That actually holds for a lot of things actually because there are premium or luxury versions of a lot of categories of things.

Was my earlier explanation of what trim levels and options are pretty clear to you? I think these are good things to know if you're buying a car regardless of whether or not it's a Tesla.

And it's true--Teslas probably aren't so prevalent simply because they have thus far only released cars in the luxury segment that are generally higher, if even slightly for one model and trim, than the median sales price of new vehicles in the US. The Model 3 is dominating the entry-level sedan market, but that segment of the market is only a small fraction of the overall new vehicle sales. And as stated earlier, the other factor that contributes to how few of them one sees is that there also isn't that much used vehicle inventory for sale because Tesla has only done mass production for the last several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 09:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
I'm not stupid, I'm not sure what the difference between "non performance" and "performance" is then because to me if you can drive it down the road and it functions than its performance. Maybe I'm not as much of a "carguru" or whatever the terminology is, but I do know that Teslas are NOT worth the higher price and I'm sure thousands of other people do too thats why they aren't popular.
if you dont know the difference between performance and non-performance when it comes to tesla then you probably should read up a little more before commenting here (unless its to ask questions). that car is a telsa model 3 so it comes in a few versions (standard, long range and performance). the performance is the most expensive and it is the fastest, accelerating at 0-60 in 3.1 seconds (faster than cars that cost much more).

go on the tesla web site and go through the order process and you will learn the different options and differences between them.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:57 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Quote:

The point is that if you are calling a car a scam, you'd better know the differences between trim levels and option packages on ANY CAR. From ANY manufacturer. Otherwise SHUT UP. And most importantly, if you don't know, DON'T ARGUE. Learn something instead.

Old 11-03-2020, 02:32 PM

117 posts, read 76,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
The point is that if you are calling a car a scam, you'd better know the differences between trim levels and option packages on ANY CAR. From ANY manufacturer. Otherwise SHUT UP. And most importantly, if you don't know, DON'T ARGUE. Learn something instead.
someone else said it might be a scam to pay more than the car is worth that's why I said what I said - I'm not trying to argue with anyone. Now you're telling me it's because of a "trim level" and "performance" that Tesla has which is why they cost thousands more to purchase than they are worth, how about you explain what you and others mean by that instead of belittling me - because to me I only know cars by if they are AWD, 4WD, automatic or manual transmission, have heated seats, fuel types, where the window/doors/buttons are, and if it has a sunroof or not.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:27 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
someone else said it might be a scam to pay more than the car is worth that's why I said what I said - I'm not trying to argue with anyone. Now you're telling me it's because of a "trim level" and "performance" that Tesla has which is why they cost thousands more to purchase than they are worth, how about you explain what you and others mean by that instead of belittling me - because to me I only know cars by if they are AWD, 4WD, automatic or manual transmission, have heated seats, fuel types, where the window/doors/buttons are, and if it has a sunroof or not.
You did sound like you were trying to argue with people. Perhaps you're lacking in self-awareness. You also seem to have difficulty with navigating websites sometimes or following slightly complicated sentence structures. It's also odd that when I was stating something specifically about the lowest price Model 3, you couldn't really follow what I was saying. I say that because you posted a link to a more expensive car in response, but couldn't really understand why that doesn't conflict with saying that there is a vehicle available for a much lower price that what you posted. It is okay that you are anxious or a bit confused. I'll try to answer any specific questions you have about Teslas if I know the answer.

Anyhow, you do not need a luxury vehicle. Tesla vehicles are currently all in luxury segments. If you don't know enough about cars to know about trim levels, then you definitely should have someone with you the next time you purchase a vehicle. Regardless, one can buy the Model 3 at a standard trim level and without performance options and that'll be around the $40K mark when new after taxes and such which is close to the prices for the base trim with only standard options for other vehicles in the entry level sedan segment such as the BMW 3-Series, Lexus IS, Mercedes C-Series, Audi A4 among others. In your case, you should be buying something far, far cheaper because as you've stated, you only need the vehicle to be able to drive down the road. There's no particular reason why any luxury vehicle would make sense for you.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-03-2020 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla