Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 07:06 AM

37,340 posts, read 39,761,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you're gonna get a 5-7 series even the M5 you should only be leasing them. They are a huge money pit when it comes to maintenance vs Tesla. Most people don't know that BMW should only use BMW specific engine oils and it can cost as much as $250 for an oil change out of service. Add to that many BMW engines burn oil and eat so much gas. You are looking at a running cost of over $3k depending on your driving habits annually.

With the Tesla you don't need to do any mechanical maintenance other than brakes and tires same as BMW and the performance will not degrade over time as engines do. Add to that many BMW engines also have have rod and ring failures that can be a serious time bomb.

2013 Tesla Model S even the slowest models are still going for over $30k, while any 2013 BMWs today is worth less than 70% of their price. I've seen 2013 7 series go for $13k which were once $100k+ cars.
Yep, sounds about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
So you live in a bad neighborhood and tough to park - that is not where I live so why would I care? You are making excuses for why you have a crap car in a crap city - most do not live in those areas.

As for the S, mine was a 2016 but the screen was vertical like all Model Ss until a week ago - no 2017 S has a horizontal screen. The screen is 3 feet from the foot-well so not sure how it would intrude unless your feet are somewhere strange - funny that no reviewer in the 9 years that it has been in production has had that issue either. Also reviewers don't really have an issue with the screen on the 3, many much shorter - I think it is you that is the problem, not the vehicles.

I can't understand a person who buys an expensive vehicle in a very urban setting and doesn't pay for dedicated parking. That just seems kind of stupid to me. At least Teslas come with a lot of cameras, but still silly. If you can't afford parking without worrying about it, then you can't afford the vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 12:56 PM

261 posts, read 231,963 times
Quote:
So you live in a bad neighborhood and tough to park - that is not where I live so why would I care? You are making excuses for why you have a crap car in a crap city - most do not live in those areas.
Lol. I actually live in a neighborhood that's waaaaay more expensive than yours unless you live specifically in the La Jolla part of San Diego. The city I live in is a small town aptly named San Francisco, maybe you heard of it. Our rents here were the highest in the nation before the pandemic hit. But I love the assumptions.

I also have multiple cars. The 65hp one is my city car but I do have others that I could trade for a brand new Tesla today. Of course I won't because I'd rather throw that money into the Pacific Ocean than give it to a bastard like Musk and his Evil Empire.

And yes, the parking here is a ***** even though I live in the most car-friendly part of the city. Your Tesla wouldn't last all that long since there's no way to charge it unless you own a house. Which is why street parked Teslas are a relatively rarity. Oh, and the kinds of people that break your windows couldn't care less about your cameras. The cops won't do a thing about it either.

Quote:
As for the S, mine was a 2016 but the screen was vertical like all Model Ss until a week ago - no 2017 S has a horizontal screen. The screen is 3 feet from the foot-well so not sure how it would intrude unless your feet are somewhere strange - funny that no reviewer in the 9 years that it has been in production has had that issue either. Also reviewers don't really have an issue with the screen on the 3, many much shorter - I think it is you that is the problem, not the vehicles.
The amount of Musksness in that comment amazes even me. Below is a pic of a Model S interior.

If you can't see that the bottom left corner of the screen intrudes into the driver's foot well I highly recommend getting some glasses. And no, it's not just me. A few people I spoke with had that issue too though not all of course.

Last edited by Synchromesh; 07-09-2021 at 01:16 PM..

Old 07-09-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
A Mitsubishi Mirage, with its 1.2-liter three-cylinder engine provides 78 hp and 74 lb-ft of torque.

What car only has 65hp?
A 1972 Super Beetle with a dual carb upgrade. The perfect city car.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:14 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,423,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yep, sounds about right.

I can't understand a person who buys an expensive vehicle in a very urban setting and doesn't pay for dedicated parking. That just seems kind of stupid to me. At least Teslas come with a lot of cameras, but still silly. If you can't afford parking without worrying about it, then you can't afford the vehicle.

Yup - in my neighborhood in San Diego, there are at least a half dozen Tesla vehicles - no one parks on the street. I see 3 or 4 in the grocery store parking lot near my house every time I go there. In Las Vegas, my house has a 5 car garage and is in a gated community in a good area - not an issue either place.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:45 PM

3,870 posts, read 2,374,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
Below is a pic of a Model S interior.

If you can't see that the bottom left corner of the screen intrudes into the driver's foot well I highly recommend getting some glasses. And no, it's not just me. A few people I spoke with had that issue too though not all of course.

Why should he use a picture to judge whether it intrudes on his knee? He LIVES with one. Experience always trumps internet complaining, buddy.

Listen, I'm not a fan of Elon, nor do I have a Tesla (or Tesla stock, which I kick myself over not buying into a decade ago), but an American company, employing American workers in an American factory, leading their industry in tech and desirability is something Republicans usually demand and gush over. So what gives? Is it simply that he is also upsetting the oil company barrel that you guys worship and get paid by?

Old 07-09-2021, 04:06 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,832,857 times
Quote:
Your 550HP EV will get broken into the very first night you leave it outside. Such is the city I live in. On top of that it has crap for bumpers (mine are full steel) and you will be painting them all the time because of dings (and also because Tesla uses crap for paint). Oh, and last but not least - good luck to you finding a parking space without getting a ticket for blocking someone's driveway. My car is about 23in shorter than a Model 3. Any other questions why mine is better in the city?

As for the model S I drove I did actually hit my knee quite a few times. It was a 2017 model with the horizontal screen. The lower left corner actually does intrude on the driver's foot well. But don't let that bother you either I was just trying to drive it and that's a weird thing to do for sure. As for the screen on the 3 - I highly disagree. It's not well positioned at all, looking down and to the right is hardly natural. Oh, and did I mention that the GPS screen was hard to see because it's further away from the driver and if you're on the short side you sit closer to the dash so the angle is quite awkward. Basically all of the ergonomics on that car was based around one thing and one thing only - cost cutting. I mean what else can you expect from a company that managed to cheap out on a mechanical glovebox latch to save about $2 on a $45K car?
That's not correct at all, no Model S has a horizontal screen until 2021. And the Model S is very spacious so either you made this all up or you're describing a Model 3 which is still much more roomier than most cars with a crammed console.

If you found the Model S crammed, there's no way you could fit inside a S Class or 7 series. It's about the same size.

Old 07-09-2021, 04:38 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,423,281 times
Quote:
Lol. I actually live in a neighborhood that's waaaaay more expensive than yours unless you live specifically in the La Jolla part of San Diego. The city I live in is a small town aptly named San Francisco, maybe you heard of it. Our rents here were the highest in the nation before the pandemic hit. But I love the assumptions.

I also have multiple cars. The 65hp one is my city car but I do have others that I could trade for a brand new Tesla today. Of course I won't because I'd rather throw that money into the Pacific Ocean than give it to a bastard like Musk and his Evil Empire.

And yes, the parking here is a ***** even though I live in the most car-friendly part of the city. Your Tesla wouldn't last all that long since there's no way to charge it unless you own a house. Which is why street parked Teslas are a relatively rarity. Oh, and the kinds of people that break your windows couldn't care less about your cameras. The cops won't do a thing about it either.

If you can't see that the bottom left corner of the screen intrudes into the driver's foot well I highly recommend getting some glasses. And no, it's not just me. A few people I spoke with had that issue too.
Lol - you actually do not live in a more expensive neighborhood - you really do not know San Diego (or even the SF bay area) - La Jolla is not the most expensive area in San Diego (nor is San Francisco the most expensive area of the Bay Area). I actually own a large house in SD in an area that is waaaaay more expensive than most in San Francisco and I own, not just rent - I have my own charger at home. There are many many Tesla vehicles in my neighborhood, none are parked on the street. I also own multiple vehicles, 2 are Tesla's - but I could buy a new one without needing to trade anything in.

I do not want to live in San Francisco but I do regularly go there several times a year. I actually grew up in the Bay Area and still own a house in one of the other expensive areas that I rent for waaaay more than what most in SF pay (no rent control) so not the highest rent in the area, let alone the nation. My brother owns a house a block off Union near the Presidio (Cow Hollow) and my mom owns a house in the area also - all probably worth more than what you rent - so kind of know the area and prices.

You literally DO live in a crap city - there is even an app to report crap left on the street. I have had more issues with actual crap on the street (unfortunately) than I have had with driving a Tesla in the city. I drive my Tesla in SF a couple of times a year - never had an issue with parking or security, you must live in a bad area of the city. There are several superchargers and other car chargers in the city so no issue to charge - there is a very large supercharger with 36 stalls in the Target parking lot on Geary. But a 120v plug will provide enough power for most if just driving in the city without the need of installing a charger.

You really need to get your info straight - the footwell is the area in front of the seat where your feet go - the screen is not at your feet in the footwell or even in front of the footwell - the screen is on the center console and does not stick out past it - you would have to try to hit the screen with your knee to be bothered by it - especially if you are short. Most cars have the center console where the screen is probably would have an issue in many other cars also.

Last edited by ddeemo; 07-09-2021 at 04:48 PM..

Old 07-09-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Lol - you actually do not live in a more expensive neighborhood - you really do not know San Diego (or even the SF bay area) - La Jolla is not the most expensive area in San Diego (nor is San Francisco the most expensive area of the Bay Area). I actually own a large house in SD in an area that is waaaaay more expensive than most in San Francisco and I own, not just rent - I have my own charger at home. There are many many Tesla vehicles in my neighborhood, none are parked on the street. I also own multiple vehicles, 2 are Tesla's - but I could buy a new one without needing to trade anything in.
I've been to SD precisely once some years ago. La Jolla was nice but it was complete and utter boring hole much like the rest of SD that I've seen. Definitely nicer than SF in some way but certainly boring as hell. Even people were boring. The fact that you live there with your Teslas doesn't surprise me one bit.

Quote:
I do not want to live in San Francisco but I do regularly go there several times a year. I actually grew up in the Bay Area and still own a house in one of the other expensive areas that I rent for waaaay more than what most in SF pay (no rent control) so not the highest rent in the area, let alone the nation. My brother owns a house a block off Union near the Presidio (Cow Hollow) and my mom owns a house in the area also - all probably worth more than what you rent - so kind of know the area and prices.
Once again tons of assumptions. Despite all this knowledge that you claim you have no idea which hood I live in. Just to make you feel better I live right next to one of the most expensive ones in the city (few min walk from my house). Still doesn't preclude people from breaking windows in cars including Teslas.

Oh, and once again just as I said before SF had #1 rent in the nation pre-Covid regardless of what area you rent your place in. But don't let that stop you telling me how well you know the local rental market, lol.

(prooflink: https://sf.curbed.com/2019/3/15/1826...sive-worldwide)

Quote:
You literally DO live in a crap city - there is even an app to report crap left on the street. I have had more issues with actual crap on the street (unfortunately) than I have had with driving a Tesla in the city. I drive my Tesla in SF a couple of times a year - never had an issue with parking or security, you must live in a bad area of the city.
You have to kind of pick a side here. Either I live in a crap city or it's safe and wonderful. Of course the truth is somewhere in the middle. The city is crap and even though I live in a decent area break-ins still happen. There's plenty of Teslas around here but most of them are not street parked of course.

Quote:
There are several superchargers and other car chargers in the city so no issue to charge - there is a very large supercharger with 36 stalls in the Target parking lot on Geary. But a 120v plug will provide enough power for most if just driving in the city without the need of installing a charger.
I really wish you'd fact check yourself a little before spewing cowpies. According to Tesla itself there's 3 superchargers in the city. The closest one is not even close to walkable from my house so are you suggesting I would have to drive the appliance over, leave it there and then take the bus home? Lol. And that's why there aren't many street parked ones around here. Unless one has a garage there's absolutely no point to own this trash.

Quote:
You really need to get your info straight - the footwell is the area in front of the seat where your feet go - the screen is not at your feet in the footwell or even in front of the footwell - the screen is on the center console and does not stick out past it - you would have to try to hit the screen with your knee to be bothered by it - especially if you are short. Most cars have the center console where the screen is probably would have an issue in many other cars also.
I had my info as straight as possible. And I'm telling you how it was. I hit my knee (I never said foot) several times while getting in and out of the car. I'm not sure why you can't look at the pic and see that the it does intrude on leg space. I mean hell, go check your car in the garage. It was a total crap design by idiots who should be designing anything but car interiors. I've been into many cars, many of them dedicated sporty and sports cars and I've never seen ergonomics as bad as this. Even my old Beetle didn't have such stupid issues and that thing's design dates back to 1930s.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Why should he use a picture to judge whether it intrudes on his knee? He LIVES with one. Experience always trumps internet complaining, buddy.
That was my *actual* experience with the car. Not an internet one. The fact that it doesn't bother 1 actual car owner in particular doesn't mean squat.

Quote:
Listen, I'm not a fan of Elon, nor do I have a Tesla (or Tesla stock, which I kick myself over not buying into a decade ago), but an American company, employing American workers in an American factory, leading their industry in tech and desirability is something Republicans usually demand and gush over. So what gives? Is it simply that he is also upsetting the oil company barrel that you guys worship and get paid by?
Has nothing to do with oil companies. Not a big fan of them in particular. What I hate about Tesla specifically is that it absolutely ruined the concept of cars and turned them into disposable appliances. Cars or at least some of them used to be special. Elon basically turned them into a computer that happens to have wheels with full corporate control and planned obsolescence cooked right in. They cut out pretty much everything of what made car a car and put in idiotic gadgets to distract the user from the fact that they've been had.

But that wouldn't even have bothered me all that much (hey, you want to drive a cost cut piece of crap made by a snake oil salesman - more power to you, pun intended). What really pisses me off to no end is that now a certain political party is forcing these trashmobiles down everyone's throat under the pretense of "green technology" (which is highly arguable) and I can tell that they will stop at nothing to kill the traditional car in the most horrific ways. That's the part I'm extremely against because I like my freedom and I don't want some idiot politicians telling me what I can and cannot use as propulsion of my own vehicle. Hope that cleared it.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:51 PM

39,946 posts, read 26,656,904 times
Ok kids, enough comparing dick sizes. Anyone have anything knowledgeable to add about the cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla