Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:42 PM

9 posts, read 23,696 times

Advertisements

Why is it always that the people of California hate on the lifestyle, people, and cities of Texas. They think were just a bunch of country hicks well obviously they havent been or herd of Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Fort Worth, or Austin. I just want to know why SOME (some not all) Californians Hate On Texas!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 05:45 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,921 times
I don't hate on Texas....I think people hate on a lot of states, and it's not just Californian's....

Old 07-15-2010, 06:27 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
A couple of those haters infected the Houston forum recently. But to be fair there are a lot of California transplants that opened their eyes and appreciate Texas for what it has to offer instead of whining and griping like little bratty children about what Texas lacks.

To our new neighbors I extend a Texas-sized "Welcome y'all!" and for those that exist to spew the hate on Texas - where is my can of raid.

And for those who still persist in hating on Texas, even your own news stations suggest moving East. Enough said:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/around-to...-to-Texas.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec...g-california18

Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
Look man, I know how you can feel when you see something negative written about your home, it hurts us all when our place is criticized.

But you are not being fair to Californians at all. Imagine how they feel, they had to break ties with their home, and move because they could no longer afford/sustain a lifestyle there.

I take it with a grain of salt, they miss home. You would too. And it goes hand in hand, Texans aren't exactly the most "loving" bunch either, Texans are developing this "greater than thou" mentality more and more each day just like everyone else from a big US state already has.

I don't think Californians hate Texas at all even if they say they do, I think they just miss home too much to explain in words so they might come off as arrogant or hateful, but they are not.

I'm an outsider to Texas, I used to dislike Texas myself, but it wasn't because of the state but because I missed home too much. I thought to myself everyday, "why do I have to live anywhere else besides home..."
I'm fortunate enough to be able to switch back and forth between Houston/Chicago though whenever I want too. Majority of the Californians don't have that luxury and they can't ever get that taste of back home anywhere else. You know that saying, "there's no place like home" it has a lot more meaning to it when you have to depart from your home for elsewhere.

I don't think any real hatred exists for the most part, it's just people who miss their home and what they had before. They haven't settled in completely yet, give them time.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,937,599 times
Jennifer Love Hewitt, even though she's from Texas, sure likes to stereotype its inhabitants, as if she's ashamed to be from the state.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:42 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
If you're Californian...and you hate Texas...don't move here. And if you're already here and you hate it, go back. Simple.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:40 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Do you seriously believe this is a one way street?

All you have to do is look at the Texas forum and you can see how stupid it is to think that you guys dont give as good as you get.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Do you seriously believe this is a one way street?

All you have to do is look at the Texas forum and you can see how stupid it is to think that you guys dont give as good as you get.
Who is that addressed to? I've visited California several times and know I would hate living there so...I don't live there. And me criticizing California from Texas is different than if I had moved to California then did nothing but gripe about how much it sucks.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:57 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,781 times
I lived in the Bay Area for a while and split time in Austin and L.A. for a year. Coming from Austin, the Bay Area offered the exact same things, except the weather was fairly miserable most of the time. I did want to stay because a lot of my friends lived there, but I couldn't abide living right next to the ocean yet never being able to swim in it (or swim period). Nothing about San Francisco or Berkeley made me think, "Wow! This is so much better than Austin!" It really didn't have different offerings or anything that was particularly better. And man, the Chinese food blew, simply because there was so much of it. When there's a lot of something, you automatically know that most of it's going to be really bad.

L.A. was like a grown-up's version of Disneyworld. Fun place to visit, but you don't want to live there. Once I saw all the fun touristy stuff, it was pretty unremarkable. I've never experienced such terrible pollution in my entire life (eyes burning and streaming tears), and the two-hour drives just to get from one place to another made going out not even worth it. I can only see L.A. being cool if you have a whole lot of money to blow and can live someplace extraordinarily nice. I had the financial means to enjoy myself, but if I hadn't, it would have been abjectly boring misery.

I dunno, the way I see it is that Texas certainly isn't lacking in terms of things to do, culture, types of food, fashion, diversity, etc. I read a thread in the California forum to the effect of "What do you miss about California," and some of the answers were strange--taco stands, Asian food, good Mexican food, good weather, coastline, etc. WTF did these people relocate to anyway, rural Appalacia? One can find that stuff in almost every major metropolis, but especially in Texas.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:01 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Who is that addressed to? I've visited California several times and know I would hate living there so...I don't live there. And me criticizing California from Texas is different than if I had moved to California then did nothing but gripe about how much it sucks.
Chill out bro. I was just saying that Texans hate on California every bit as much as Californians hate on Texas. This thread is pure hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas