Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:37 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,197 times

Advertisements

I've lived in New Mexico for a year. I just assumed the 2 states like each other because they're neighbors and there are a lot of Cowboys fans here in New Mexico. But some people say they don't like Texas and that the 2 states have a rivalry.

Is it the exception or the norm for Texans and New Mexicans to feel a rivalry toward each other?

I've only heard the New Mexico side of the story so I am interested in hearing the Texas side of the story.

I like both states and this is not meant as an insult to either state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,870,474 times
Since so many Texans live here (Alamogordo)--and it is a military town on top of that--with lots of transplants from different places, I haven't noticed that much resentment here in particular.

But I know it exists. I wouldn't even call it a rivalry. Some Texans behave like *****h...when they come here, and when that happens, I can see why some resent Texans--as well as other outsiders.

Having said that, I'm a native Texan who has lived in NM for three years, and there is a ton of stuff I REALLY miss about my home state.

There is also much I love about New Mexico, along with some things that I just absolutely HATE.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times
I never thought of them as rivals.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:30 PM

220 posts, read 454,056 times
I've only been through New Mexico once, the only problem I saw with it was that they had a ridiculously low speed limit for wide open road conditions, 60mph IIRC, and that the locals apparently obeyed that speed limit. As soon as I crossed into Colorado the speed limit shot up to 75, with twists and turns on the sides of mountains and whatnot which only made New Mexico's speed limits seem all the more retarded.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John26 View Post
I've only been through New Mexico once, the only problem I saw with it was that they had a ridiculously low speed limit for wide open road conditions, 60mph IIRC, and that the locals apparently obeyed that speed limit. As soon as I crossed into Colorado the speed limit shot up to 75, with twists and turns on the sides of mountains and whatnot which only made New Mexico's speed limits seem all the more retarded.
The speed limits ARE ridiculously low in some areas--and that brings in extra revenue when they give out tickets.

It's especially hard when you're used to I-10 and the recent 80MPH limits there.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:43 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,063 times
To be perfectly honest, New Mexico is really too small to be a rival per se and outside of West Texas isn't given much thought at all. For West Texans, it seems like the eastern half is part of their stomping grounds and, because of that, you might run into some who don't give New Mexico as much respect as they do other states. When I was driving the stretch of road from Santa Fe to Clovis, I am not exaggerating when I say that 50% of the license plates were Texan. (Conversely, about 10% of the cars here have New Mexican license plates, though many of those are Texas residents who own land in New Mexico and register their cars there because it's cheaper.) I wouldn't be surprised if half of Ruidoso was owned by Lubbockites. Most Texans have nothing against New Mexico though.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:41 AM

687 posts, read 1,577,706 times
Having lived almost all of my life in Texas and New Mexico, I don't think I've ever thought of the two states as having a "rivalry." New Mexico's population is so small compared to Texas that the states are not rivals. For the most part, I believe that Texans and New Mexicans get along fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Some Texans behave like *****h...when they come here, and when that happens, I can see why some resent Texans--as well as other outsiders.
You are correct. Growing up in southeast New Mexico, I don't know how many times I would be out at a restaurant or at some other event and overhear a group of Texans loudly talking about how poor or trashy they thought New Mexico was. Of course, it would cause resentment. I always found it disturbing that people would be so disrespectful to another state while spending time in that state. It's just bad manners.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 AM

I always found it disturbing that people would be so disrespectful to another state while spending time in that state. It's just bad manners.

Yes. It also cuts both ways--there are those who also visit Texas--and trash it while they're there.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I never thought of them as rivals.

Me neither.

My cousin is getting married in NM next month....and all the family is coming from TX but the groom and bride are from or have lived in NM for a very long time...will have to take note of any rivalry.....hopefully everyone will be on their best behavior.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
Having lived almost all of my life in Texas and New Mexico, I don't think I've ever thought of the two states as having a "rivalry."
I found that to be true as well. I have never heard it come up in any conversation. If I complain about anything regarding the two states, is why can't grocers in Dallas get any decent red chile sauce. Anytime I drive through NM, I feel like an importer of El Pinto Red Chile Sauce. Oh, sure we can get all the different salsas of that brand, and even their Green chile sauce, but if you want the red, you can forget it. All you can find in grocery stores here is Old El Paso, or Hatch. The grocer's explanation, the red sauce just isn't distributed in this region.

And it is 75 mph in NM, it drops to 70 at the TX border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas