Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Build Your Perfect Texas Hamburger
Preformed Beef Pattie 3 7.69%
Hand/Homemade Pattie 36 92.31%
Cheese 28 71.79%
Lettuce 31 79.49%
Onions 29 74.36%
Pickles 27 69.23%
Tomatoes 26 66.67%
Jalapenos 8 20.51%
Bacon 22 56.41%
Fresh Bun 19 48.72%
Grilled/Fried Bun 19 48.72%
Salad Dressing/Mayonaise 17 43.59%
Mustard 23 58.97%
Ketchup 16 41.03%
Other/None/Whatever else (describe) 6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL I wouldn't say that, Cathy sis!

Hell, I am even "weirder". While I went with that old Texas "grease-burger" thingy...there is nothing wrong with a homemade one, either. And with the latter? I like it with salad dressing/mayonaise. How nutty it that? One with mustard, and the other with Miracle Whip! lol

But GOTTA have that bun grilled! Sorta toasty...know what I mean? Something that comes off the seasoned grill in some small town Texas cafe...where the waitress has "big hair" and calls you "hon"!
LOL!! I know exactly what you mean, Randy! I like buns grilled too.....and we always need some nice greasy fries on the side!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 06:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Give me a good ole NEW MEXICO green chile cheeseburger any day. Even though I'm a native Texan, I can think of NOTHING memorable about Texas hamburgers. The MOST memorable hamburger I think I've ever had was in Salt Lake City, Utah - where they were flame broiled with pastrami added! Name of the restaurant was CROWN BURGER.

Well....I have YET to have even a halfway decent green chile burger here.

Blakes?? Yech.

Everybody here raves about an old-fashioned diner-type place called Hi-Di-Ho, that serves a huge "Tiger Burger." So old-fashioned that you flash your car lights, and the carhop comes out to take your order.

Still wasn't all that great.

Don't get me wrong. I love green chile cheeseburgers as much as the next person--made at HOME.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:22 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL I wouldn't say that, Cathy sis!

Hell, I am even "weirder". While I went with that old Texas "grease-burger" thingy...there is nothing wrong with a homemade one, either. And with the latter? I like it with salad dressing/mayonaise. How nutty it that? One with mustard, and the other with Miracle Whip! lol

But GOTTA have that bun grilled! Sorta toasty...know what I mean? Something that comes off the seasoned grill in some small town Texas cafe...where the waitress has "big hair" and calls you "hon"!
Uh oh. Real mayonnaise and Miracle Whip (ugh!) are not interchangeable. You can get kicked out of the South for even suggesting such a thing!

Old 12-12-2010, 07:27 PM

Home made patty with cheese on a grilled bun with lettuce, pickles, onions, ketchup and mustard. Sometimes I want some tomato on it, often times not. Miracle Whip is wrong!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:29 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Hand-shaped patty, cooked on the grill and basted with BBQ sauce on a butter toasted bun. Topped with cheddar cheese (no American) bacon lettuce, tomato, pickle, and mustard with a side of greasy fries and a double dose of Crestor as dessert!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 AM

149 posts, read 357,573 times
I guess a Whataburger hamburger is the quintessential Texas hambuger. This has been posted before. I must admit, I do love my Whataburger with cheese and bacon. But look out, with the arrival of the Easterner comes 5 Guys Burgers and Fries as per the Californian, Austin you know what I'm talking 'bout, comes In-And-Out. Although that will be in the DFW area as the company expands into other, I assume Texas markets.

But the best burger, my opinion only, in the state of Texas, was at a little cafe in Jacksboro. My Grandma and Grandaddy and I would eat there on the way from Lubbock to Lone Oak when visiting East Texas relatives. I can remember Grandma and Grandaddy didn't get any cheese or extras on their hamburger other than the basics. Grandma liked to pepper the patty vigorously. Grandaddy liked his with the basics only; pickles, lettuce, tomato, onion. I closed my eyes just now and remember sitting in that little cafe, I wish I could remember the name. What a great memory, I am smiling right now.

Thanks again TexasReb, for another great Texas poll leading me to have another great Texas memory! I tip my Stetson to you, sir.

Last edited by spiritof68; 12-13-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
When I was in high school in the mid 70's in Duncanville, there was a tiny little burger shack called the Village Charcoal Burger that was absolutely heaven on earth. They cooked the burgers on an open flame, and they were huge and delicious. They served yummy crinkle cut fries and soft drinks were in the can, and always ice cold. It was strictly carryout, only room for a few people to stand at a counter to order. Often people would have to order then go sit in their car and wait for their orders because there was no room on the inside to wait. Around lunch time the line was always out the door.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:00 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Tex, can you for once make a thread that doesn't make me salivate uncontrollably?

...No, but it all depends on what kind of mood i'm in. I've been known to eat burgers a variety of ways, including everything on the poll (except for jalapenos...anything spicy on a burger of mine is a big no-no ....I also try to stay away from the bacon)

If it's at a cookout, I usually prepare mine classic style: cheese, tomatoes, crisp onions, lettuce, pickles, mayo, and maybe some mustard

At home I might use a nice, soft, warm bun, some caramelized onions, one or two slices of cheese, and maybe just a tad bit of ketchup or mustard

I'm also not one to prefer heavily seasoned burgers. I like my meat to taste like cooked cow and a little salt and garlic

Old 12-13-2010, 09:04 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Uh oh. Real mayonnaise and Miracle Whip (ugh!) are not interchangeable. You can get kicked out of the South for even suggesting such a thing!
hey, miracle whip is good with bologna

Old 12-13-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
hey, miracle whip is good with bologna
That is because Miracle Whip, much like bologna, is not real food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas