Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:56 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
what city and what part of that city are u referring to? I love how people on here hype up there state.
Homes in the suburbs of major TX cities with good schools (your Planos, Allens, Woodlands, Sugarland) generally start around $180-200k and really $350k+ if you want a new house that isn't a 2 hour drive to a downtown job. To afford a $180-200k home, you'd ideally want an income over $90-100k and could go as low as $70-80k and still be ok, provided you don't have two car payments or credit card debt out the wazoo.

The outstanding public schools in TX are in VERY expensive areas: Dallas' Highland Park ISD (where a starter 1500sf 1940's home is $750k+ and a new home is $1.5-2M+), Austin's Eanes ISD (Westlake), West U in Houston where homes are around HPISD values, Alamo Heights in San Antonio. Just buying a city home in a neighborhood with "very good" but not the best schools is pricey- Dallas' Lakewood area costs $450k+ when youre looking at 4-br family sized homes. Memorial in Houston also starts around $400-500k. Even the suburbs with the better homes are very expensive compared to "normal" suburbs.

The bottom line is that wealthy people EXPECT top-notch education for their kid's, be it public or private schools. This has driven prices steadily up (even accounting for recent market dips & corrections) over time in the areas with the better and best schools.

We had a couple on the Dallas forum a while back looking to move from Chicago (Winnetka/ New Trier schools- some of the best in the country). They were SHOCKED at how- despite the rumor of "cheap" living in Texas- to find a similar home/neighborhood/school district in Dallas, the home costs were nearly identical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 03:17 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
The only way in Texas to get quality schools and housing at an affordable price is to live in the suburbs.

Texas's reputation for cheap living is vastly overrated.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:00 PM

172 posts, read 411,454 times
Circle C- is great for young families

can you afford a 300k-400k home? they are all around that price

Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 AM

173 posts, read 402,204 times
You certainly get more for your money, but you have to have money to live well. People saying that it doesn't cost any money to live in a nice suburb with good schools are delusional. Plus with our budget crisis, we are in trouble. Moving is not always a good solution. Sometimes improving your situation through education, managing your finances better, etc is the way to go.

Now if the OP moved somewhere small or in West Texas it might work. But expecting a great home and schools won't work. If there was a magic place where everyone could have a low salary, beautiful home, great schools, then all would go there.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:17 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
What about Jarrell, North of Austin. Very small town, good schools and I work in RR and one of my coworkers lives in Jarrell and says the commute isn't too terrible. I'm sure they could find a house to rent or buy that would be reasonable.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:53 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,203,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHuffenHausen View Post
You certainly get more for your money, but you have to have money to live well. People saying that it doesn't cost any money to live in a nice suburb with good schools are delusional. Plus with our budget crisis, we are in trouble. Moving is not always a good solution. Sometimes improving your situation through education, managing your finances better, etc is the way to go.

Now if the OP moved somewhere small or in West Texas it might work. But expecting a great home and schools won't work. If there was a magic place where everyone could have a low salary, beautiful home, great schools, then all would go there.

Yep, those great schools and beautiful houses cost money, just like the real world elsewhere.

I would really like to hunt that media person down that is spreading the news everywhere that you can move to Texas and live like a king for almost free. He/she needs to be muzzled. It is taking people's last dollars to uproot and move - just to find out it was a lie.

Is the cost of homes lower? Yes, it is. For people coming with good jobs, they are very pleasantly surprised. You do get more for your money - but it still requires money. You can't do it on minimum wage salaries.

When you add in a large number of children, that salary has to reflect that.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:15 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
The Cities would be more expensive, but the further out suburbs would be pretty reasonable. That's why I mentioned Jarrell, near Austin. Maybe they could find something near Killeen or Waco. Even Brazoria, Sweeny, Lake Jackson, Clute (Houston as nearest city).....It would seem that with a UPS job, he could transfer most anywhere. UPS drivers make enough money to live and they get decent benefits. I'm sort of surprised at some of the callousness and rude replies I've been reading.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
I heard that Midland Odessa has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. However, that is a semi-arid area. But you wouldn't have to pay state income taxes and you'd get a much nicer 2 bedroom house to rent for that price.

My personal advice would be to move to a state like Louisiana. It is literally dirt cheap to live there and you could get a house for $75K that would be $300K in Cali. The property taxes are dirt cheap and people know how to have a good time. There are many free festivals and you learn a great way of life.

My advice to people looking to move is generally:
* if you are working class/poor then head to Louisiana
* if you are middle class then move to TX
* if you are middle-upper class then stay put
* if you are wealthy then move to Hawaii, California, or Florida

Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 AM

8 posts, read 41,899 times
I want to know how many of you who responded has actually lived in california and watched the economy here go to crap. If rent is 1300 and you cant afford it theres nothing left to do but move. Whats wrong with moving somewhere for a better opportunity? If people werent willing to take risks then many of us wouldnt even be here in America typing on this forum. Its a persons choice how many kids they have, dont judge. I wont name names but some of you act like you own the damn state!!! ooooo texans watch out for the scary people from California! we're comming LOL

Old 03-07-2011, 08:19 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CClovespell View Post
I want to know how many of you who responded has actually lived in california and watched the economy here go to crap. If rent is 1300 and you cant afford it theres nothing left to do but move. Whats wrong with moving somewhere for a better opportunity? If people werent willing to take risks then many of us wouldnt even be here in America typing on this forum. Its a persons choice how many kids they have, dont judge. I wont name names but some of you act like you own the damn state!!! ooooo texans watch out for the scary people from California! we're comming LOL
I have ZERO problems with people moving to Texas, provided they have secured jobs here before the move.

What Californians (and potential relos from dozens of other states) don't seem to realize is that we are in the early days of watching the Texas economy go to "crap" right now. Our state's 2011-2013 budget has a $30 BILLION DEFICIT (out of $80B budget). We are currently projecting 100,000 teachers (1/3 of all Texas teachers) to be laid off or forced into early retirment this summer. If you cannot see that is going to wreak havoc on the economy, TAKE YOUR BLINDERS OFF!

Class sizes will rise to 25 in elementary school and up to 35 in middle schoool & high school. Many schools are eliminating extracurriculars like art & music, slashing talented & gifted programs, scaling back/ eliminating certain athletics, eliminating bussing, etc. If you have children and intend to put them in public schools, I would strongly suggest you research the budget impact projected for districts you are interested in.

Got a job offer here? Great! Come on over! Planning to move anyway & "wing it" once you get here? All I am saying is- please be realistic about the job market come April/May when 100,000 pink slips go out and teachers flood the general job search population competing for any & all other jobs they qualify for. Those teachers have a leg up on you- they are already in TX and have community connections via family/ friends/ etc that you probably don't have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas