Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:18 AM

17 posts, read 99,304 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could answer some questions that I have about Amarillo Texas. My boyfriend and I will be moving there in about 2 months from Middletown New York. (Around May)I have read some facts about the city, and the weather informations. But that's about it. I have read that the northeast side isn't that great, and were are going to look south of it.But then again that's only some poeple opinion.The job location is on S. georiga street in Amarillo. So we are looking at apartments in a 20 minute radius. I looked some up and looked at reviews for some but I just don't have enought info to judge the apartments.

1.If anyone could recommend any good apartments to us that would be wonderful. A fitness center and allowing pets would be awsome.

2.What are people like down there. Very conservative and church going people? Or is it a mix of both?

3. I know that there are tons of racist people around the world, but how is Amarillo like when it comes to racism?

4.Is there a lot of crime in Amarillo? It seemed like everytime I read a review of an apartment or something else, a lot of people complained about burglaries.

In advance, I would like to thank everyone who answers to my post. It's much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 12:37 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
1. Not sure of any off the top of my head. People dont exercise in Texas. We like dogs though
2. Mixed
3. Racism is everywhere
4. Crime is everywhere

Your welcome

Old 03-15-2011, 10:16 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Amarillo is a nice place. Stay south of I-40 and find close to Soncy rd, Coulter rd., Bell street towards Hollywood and I-27 are better areas. nice apartments,houses friendly people.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:40 PM

thank you. we narrowed it down to 3 apartments. crossing at bell, dove park or tiffany square. they all seem nice and have good reviews.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
You can find demographic data and photos of the Amarillo area here. http://www.city-data.com/city/Amarillo-Texas.html
http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...llo-Texas.html

When I spent a night in Amarillo last summer I found it to be a nice community with friendly people.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:08 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Coming from Middletown, NY you will probably find Amarillo is hotter in summer but warmer in winter, much more sunshine and less rain, considerably less snow, also the wind blows more. You will probably miss the greenery of summer in NY. Unemployment is far less, Crime is higher in most categories, especially theft, but robberies are lower. Unemployment is much lower, poverty rates are lower, median income and housing prices and rent are much lower.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Amarillo-Texas.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Middletown-New-York.html

Old 03-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Thank you cptnrn. I fot that much info myself. That's all I go so far. The rest... I'll figure out when i get there. Crime is higher huh? guess i gotta get adjusted to that. won't leave my purse in the car and try locking up my car then!!

Also, is it true about all the spanish people in texas or are people just exaggerating? It seems like a lot of people have posted that there is tons of them there and that they are taking over texas. that can' be true!!! i think the demographics say it's like 35% or something.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:48 PM

Oh... another thing i wanted to ask was, how big is amarillo? i tried to compare it to middletown and i think it's bigger. and what is with the different names of places. is has this area called tampa, and hereford? is that in amarillo? and it has seperate names in different sections? or are thos different towns around amarillo?

Old 03-17-2011, 05:12 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariola1987 View Post
Oh... another thing i wanted to ask was, how big is amarillo? i tried to compare it to middletown and i think it's bigger. and what is with the different names of places. is has this area called tampa, and hereford? is that in amarillo? and it has seperate names in different sections? or are thos different towns around amarillo?
Hereford and Pampa are small towns (about 15,000 people each) around Amarillo. Hereford is 45 minutes to the WSW and Pampa is 45 minutes to the ENE.

Amarillo is just under 200,000 in city limits, and its metro is about 250,000. Also, Amarillo is about 30% Hispanic. Not really "taking over", but a significant demographic for sure. The vast majority of them speak fluent English if that's a concern for you.

Last edited by Westerner92; 03-17-2011 at 05:23 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 10:43 AM

Ok. that clears it up. awsome!!can't wait to get there. it's so exciting to get out of ny!!! go somewhere new. thank you all for your help ands posts. very much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas