Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:59 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times

Advertisements

Temple does have its fair share of rude people and encountered a few recently. But overall Temple is a decent city and the majority of them are nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
It is a nice location, close to several central texas lakes.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 13,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
That's because Temple isn't a small town. It's not a suburb and doesn't act as a suburb [I don't get that comparison]. It sits in a relatively populated area [400k TO 600K+. Depending how you look at it], along I-35 and in the one of the fastest growing areas in the state.
Suburb of what? Waco is an hour to the north and Austin is more than an hour to the south.

Internet? I can't get reliable wireless, and for the last 3 months haven't had a reliable landline with Time Warner. There are no jacks in this rental, so I can't go with ATT. I feel like I moved back in time 2 centuries, rather than 2 states away.

You might be able to BS people who haven't moved here yet, but I'm stuck here and know EXACTLY what it's like, so don't try to BS me.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Temple is amalgamated with Belton, Nolanville, Harker Heights, Killeen, Morgan's Point, and Copperas Cove (all in Bell County) to form a local metro. There's no real 'suburb', only the combination of those towns forming a local metro of a fairly substantial population.

I've used Clearwire in the Temple area and was satisfied. Since then I've used TWC for Internet only to exceeding satisfaction. If you've got an Internet problem then it might behoove you to resolve the problem with TWC - or your residence, or equipment. One of the first rules of troubleshooting Internet is to re-create the problem. You've done that in your post.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthackberry View Post
Suburb of what? Waco is an hour to the north and Austin is more than an hour to the south.

Internet? I can't get reliable wireless, and for the last 3 months haven't had a reliable landline with Time Warner. There are no jacks in this rental, so I can't go with ATT. I feel like I moved back in time 2 centuries, rather than 2 states away.

You might be able to BS people who haven't moved here yet, but I'm stuck here and know EXACTLY what it's like, so don't try to BS me.
Hmm...I lived in Temple and Belton from 1993 off an on until 2009. I had no issues with cable, I did have DirecTV when we lived out by the lake for a few years. No issues with TWC Road Runner Internet when I left there in 2009. There are plenty of radio stations. Your assertion that there is only Tejano, what you call Christian propaganda, and country is ridiculous. You can easily get 92.5 from Waco (rock), 107.3 from Killeen (rock), KLBJ 93.7 (classic rock) Austin, and many other. Never had a single issue getting any of them in the house or car. If you are having issues I would recommend getting a better antenna, or a smart phone with Pandora or iHeart Radio or similar app.

Having lived in San Antonio for the last two years, I have to laugh at your complaints about Centex drivers. San Antonio has some of the worst I have ever seen. I have lived in Seattle, WA and Washington D.C. for comparison. SATX has all the rubber necking from I-5 on the West Coast, all the aggressive drivers of D.C., and more wrong-way DUIs than I have ever heard of anywhere else I have lived in the US or abroad.

I found the people of Belton and Temple to be quite friendly. We first arrived there from Germany, and they were all very polite, helpful, and enjoyable. When we moved back from a three year move to Ohio, we chose Belton, and they were even nicer than in Temple. Smaller town I guess.

Which part of town are you living in with all of these mean spirited people? I am honestly curious because I never saw it in 16 years of living in the area. I lived in three different neighborhoods in the area and never experienced any of things you mention.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:13 AM

12 posts, read 51,520 times
Temple is definitely not a small town - where did you get your definition of "small town"? Temple is larger than Galveston and qualifies as a small city, but not a small town. It has not been a small town for decades and has never been a suburb, as it grew up with a well-defined downtown area of its own that was the center of commerce until the 1970s when shoddy strip malls, cheap box stores, and hideous discount centers located at the fringes of the city eventually drew shoppers away from the locally owned downtown shops. I think that the decentralization of Temple has had a lasting and depressing effect on this city as a whole and has destroyed part of its identity. It is no longer the place I remember growing up - I graduated from Temple High School in 1968, and it was still a very good school back then, although I hear that that is also no longer the case.

However, it is still in Texas, a state that I abandoned (or rather was driven out of) by 1973, and I have not really looked back, except when I am forced to visit relatives who have not had the courage to leave.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 PM

65 posts, read 217,974 times
Temple is not my favorite town, but I think Temple's downtown is in much better shape then similar towns. Aside from the two tall buildings off Central there are almost no vacant falling apart buildings. There are several great restaurants, several good bars which keep it busy at night & most others are well taken care of & occupied by businesses. In every smaller town business has left downtown to a large extent , but compared to others which have largely abandoned ghetto areas Temple seems in pretty good shape. The radio complaints seem ridiculous, I can get everything from stations from Waco, Killeen & Austin. The cable service is by the same companies offered in major metro's so not sure about that complaint. Wireless internet is available through Clear, which is more then you'll get in most smaller towns. Or get 4G through any other carrier. Don't get that complaint either. It seems like you just have tech problems of your own. My largest complaints about Temple would be the lack of any parks I find very nice & the general unattractive look to most of the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: