Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 04:36 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
wow...everyone must be really busy this weekend since there's not been a single guess in the past 24+ hours.

HINT #1: The building today sits in a bucolic setting in the heart of one of the largest metro areas in Texas. A recent photo of the interior restoration work is attached.
Joqua? Could this perhaps be the "Arlington House" at (Robert E.) Lee Park in Dallas?
The picture of the restoration you posted sorta "rang a bell." Certain things kinda reminded me of it, as (being a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans), we used to hold some annual events there. And I recall someone told me it had been recently renovated (or was in the process of such).

That is my guess! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 04:53 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,101 times
Quote:
wow...everyone must be really busy this weekend since there's not been a single guess in the past 24+ hours.

HINT #1: The building today sits in a bucolic setting in the heart of one of the largest metro areas in Texas. A recent photo of the interior restoration work is attached.

Well actually joqua, some limestone building in Texas, is pretty obscure dontcha think?

Old 12-18-2011, 05:09 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
Well actually joqua, some limestone building in Texas, is pretty obscure dontcha think?
It's "not just some limestone building" but rather one that has historic significance as well as serving multiple functions. I think there are a lot of hints in my original post and I don't believe this question is any more obscure than others asked and answered here.

Texas Reb - it's not the Arlington house.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
It's "not just some limestone building" but rather one that has historic significance as well as serving multiple functions. I think there are a lot of hints in my original post and I don't believe this question is any more obscure than others asked and answered here.

Texas Reb - it's not the Arlington house.
Ok. I should have caught the "limestone building" reference before answering!

Old 12-18-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Ok. I should have caught the "limestone building" reference before answering!
I wrote "native limestone" too, thus narrowing the possibilities further if one interprets "native" to equate to "local."

Old 12-18-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I wrote "native limestone" too, thus narrowing the possibilities further if one interprets "native" to equate to "local."
Wait a minute...would it be the Governors Mansion...?

Old 12-18-2011, 11:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The old courthouse in Fredericksburg was turned into a museum, and was built in 1885. That would mostly quality. Except for the newly added hint of a major city.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 AM

NOT the Governor's Mansion nor the Fredericksburg courthouse

Quote:
It was originally built to serve a purely utilitarian* function for the community and served in that capacity from 1885 until around 1912. Its first non-utilitarian use is what gives it historical significance. It is currently being restored once again to serve yet another new cultural function.

Question: What is this building, where is it located, what makes it historically important, and what is being done with it currently?
HINT #2: The building remains on city land, is owned by the city, but has been leased out to both private and charitable businesses over the years. It will be under lease to the new enterprise - yet another civic group.

*Utilitarian: : of, relating to, or aiming at utility

Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
So far, you have not added a single hint that is unique. Everything you have said could apply to many buildings. Nobody here knows what the building is. It does not narrow it down at all to say it is on public land, unless one has a list of all such buildings differentiated by the status of the land owner.

Most 125 year old building have had multiple uses. Many have fallen into disrepair. In those days, half the buildings in Texas were built of native limestone, and in fact some towns are located where they are exactly because there was limestone readily available for building. OK, it's in one of the 5 or 10 or 20 or 50 biggest cities. Rules out Fredericksburg, probably.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-19-2011 at 09:17 AM..

Old 12-19-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So far, you have not added a single hint that is unique.
Frustrated are you?
I've had good teachers here to show me how to keep from giving it away too easily!

HINT #3
: The building last housed an architectural firm.

HINT#4: It's "claim to fame" is due to the notoriety of the first occupant after the building no longer served the utility.

Last edited by joqua; 12-19-2011 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas