Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 07:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

Very good. At the common point of Roberts, Gray, Hemphill and Wheeler county, you are 3,009 feet above sea level, and are at the highest point in both Hemphill and Wheeler Counties. But to the west, Roberts and Gray keep going up.

Everywhere else in the USA (I think), points that are highest elevation common to two or more counties are at mountain peaks where the range forms the county lines.

I was afraid nobody would get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 08:05 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,167,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Everywhere else in the USA (I think), points that are highest elevation common to two or more counties are at mountain peaks where the range forms the county lines.
An aside: There is a monument on the side of a small mountain peak in the vicinity of El Paso that marks the spot where two countries and three states meet. I think the answer is too obvious to be posted as a question.

Of course the countries are Mexico/USA
and the states are New Mexico/Texas/Chihuahua(Mexican state)

Old 10-22-2011, 08:10 PM

108 posts, read 196,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was afraid nobody would get it.
Oh, believe me, I almost gave up twice. Fortunately I had a lot of free time yesterday.

Following your theme, which Texas county adjoins nine other Texas counties?

jtur88, you probably already know this answer, but I wanted to offer up an easier question than your last one. :-D

Old 10-22-2011, 10:25 PM

I don't know it right offhand. I do know that out at the end of the Oklahoma Panhandle, Cimarron County borders on five states.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:02 AM

I found one that touches nine others. I don't know if it's the only one or not. Zooming in on it on Mapquest, I found that it has an interesting appendage, connected by a neck only about 50-feet across.

Including 4-corner adjacencies, Webb County touches 7 Texas counties and 3 Mexican states.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-23-2011 at 12:14 AM..

Old 10-23-2011, 02:06 AM

Crockett County is the only Texas county that borders nine other Texas counties, which is the most of any Texas county. The shared county lines are Upton, Reagan, Irion, Schleicher, Sutton, Val Verde, Terrell, Pecos and Crane counties. Measuring with google maps, the Crockett and Crane county line is approximately 5.19 miles.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novistana View Post
Crockett County is the only Texas county that borders nine other Texas counties, which is the most of any Texas county. The shared county lines are Upton, Reagan, Irion, Schleicher, Sutton, Val Verde, Terrell, Pecos and Crane counties. Measuring with google maps, the Crockett and Crane county line is approximately 5.19 miles.
Yes, that's the one I referred to. Note that the Pecos River swings back up, and almost touches the Crane County line again, missing it so close that a child can throw a ball from Crane to Pecos county, through Crockett County air space.

Do you see county lines on Google Maps? I don't. I have to go to Mapquest for county lines.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novistana View Post
You beat me to it.............

Old 10-23-2011, 12:45 PM

Ah, I found that river bend you're talking about. The best measurement I could get is approximately 70 yards across. Maybe the only place a kicker could play football in three counties at once, ha-ha!

Actually, for measuring distances I use this hack of Google Maps gmap-pedometer.com *It's topography view has county lines.

I've used that site for years to determine the distance for unestablished running/cycling routes. It's especially useful in determining distance after a route is completed since I very rarely use the same route; I run/cycle wherever inspiration/curiosity take me, and I don't have a cycling computer. I also use it to scout the distance and terrain for hunting trips; I'm a walk-in hunter so it's a significant planning aid.

Hi Cathy4017, it seemed like jtur88 already knew the answer so I revealed it in full. Sorry.

You're at bat, jtur88.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:01 PM

I intentionally didn 't answer it, to leave it for someone else. But I have one ready, so here goes:

Who was the Texas artist who had both a town and a car model named after her?

(I found this while researching a recent trivia answer here.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas