Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 10:33 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
I think it is a very Texan city. What is more Texan than oil?
Houston may be a Texan city, but it's easily the least Texan out of the major metro areas, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:35 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
That's what makes Houston so interesting... it's Texan but also EVERYTHING. There's two China Towns (Old Downtown and New Bellaire). There's the Hillcroft India-Town Strip. There's Euro-Yankee-Corporate-Road-Warror Town (Woodlands/Kingwood). There's Good Ol' Boy Town (Pasa-GitDown-Dina). There's Little El Salvador (Gulfton). There's established-TexMex-Town (Harrisburg/Navigation). There's Pill-Hill (rich black doctors and other professionals) MacGregor/Riverside. There's several total "Mish-mash Town" that in one neighborhood it's 25%white, 25% Hispanic, 25%black, 25% Asian - Sharpstown, SugarLand, Mo City.

Makes it very interesting in that you can meet and become friends with such a variety of sucessful smart people from all over the world and this country, find ANY kind of food at a small grocer or restaurant, learn about places to vacation from people who actually grew up there.

However, it's also amazing that the you can also live the great old Texas traditions like friendly neighbors, Friday Night Football (note the respectful capitalization!), welcoming churches (and synagogues and mosques!), cold icehouse beer, the planet's biggest rodeo in the NFL stadium.
Yeah...there aren't many cities in the South that can come close to or even match Houston's diversity.

Whats so apecial about Houston compared with most larger cities is people of different ethnicities, skin color, & religion get along just fine. Its not uncommon at all to have neighborhoods with equal numbers of Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, & Asians.

Houston is such an awesome city!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Houston is such an awesome city!
keep telling ya, that is why it has so many haterz

Old 07-18-2011, 11:05 PM

491 posts, read 886,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
That's what makes Houston so interesting... it's Texan but also EVERYTHING. There's two China Towns (Old Downtown and New Bellaire). There's the Hillcroft India-Town Strip. There's Euro-Yankee-Corporate-Road-Warror Town (Woodlands/Kingwood). There's Good Ol' Boy Town (Pasa-GitDown-Dina). There's Little El Salvador (Gulfton). There's established-TexMex-Town (Harrisburg/Navigation). There's Pill-Hill (rich black doctors and other professionals) MacGregor/Riverside. There's several total "Mish-mash Town" that in one neighborhood it's 25%white, 25% Hispanic, 25%black, 25% Asian - Sharpstown, SugarLand, Mo City.
Well put. I would also add to that the liberal Bohemian feel of the Heights and the Montrose. I don't know about now, but when I was growing up there the Montrose was very much a haven for liberals/artists/musicians/activists etc., and from what I understand had been since the late 60's/early 70's. Not to mention the very large, concentrated, and well established gay community that has been there for many years.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Houston may be a Texan city, but it's easily the least Texan out of the major metro areas, IMO.
Out of the metro areas, perhaps. I personally find Dallas to be the least Texan of the cities. My reasoning is that Dallas is by far the least friendly, it's the most image conscious, there's no rodeo, it's the most corrupt, and it's hard to find good "Texan" foods in the city (gotta go to the burbs or small towns around Dallas for that).

I think people think because it's an international place it's not Texan. Those people haven't spent time working with the oil companies there. You'll meet some of the most Texan people ever there.

I guess my point is that Houston is both international and Texan. They don't contradict each other.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:14 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,895 times
I don't find Dallas to be very "Texan" at all. It is very cosmopolitian, diverse, and high end (mostly north). There are mercedes, bimmers, and jags all over the place and it is very image conscious in some areas. Fort Worth is WAY more Texan. Way more converative and slower paced. People in Fort Worth are more like "true texans".

Parts of Houston feel more "Texan" to me, but some areas do not. Much of the southeast parts of the metro area "along I-45 gulf fwy" are pretty redneck and texan. Most of the western and southwest parts of the city are international, diverse, and VERY cosmopolitian. You could easily forget you are in Texas being in these areas (expect for the TX flags everywhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Out of the metro areas, perhaps. I personally
find Dallas to be the least Texan of the cities. My reasoning is that Dallas is by far the least friendly, it's the most image conscious, there's no rodeo, it's the most corrupt, and it's hard to find good "Texan" foods in the city (gotta go to the burbs or small towns around Dallas for that).

I think people think because it's an international place it's not Texan. Those people haven't spent time working with the oil companies there. You'll meet some of the most Texan people ever there.

I guess my point is that Houston is both international and Texan. They don't contradict each other.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:01 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,972,379 times
First of all, can somebody please establish what exactly "Texan" is? I see people ruling places out because they are "Image conscious" or because fancy cars are in the area. Are Texans SUPPOSED to be broke and dressing ling bums?

Personally, I think Austin is by far the least Texan of the bunch. Outside of the fact that it's the capital and the state university is located here, nothing my in the city limits screams "Texan" to me. The hipsters have taken over.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:06 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
First of all, can somebody please establish what exactly "Texan" is? I see people ruling places out because they are "Image conscious" or because fancy cars are in the area. Are Texans SUPPOSED to be broke and dressing ling bums?

Personally, I think Austin is by far the least Texan of the bunch. Outside of the fact that it's the capital and the state university is located here, nothing my in the city limits screams "Texan" to me. The hipsters have taken over.
The reason I mentioned that is because overall Texans seem to be laid back and friendly. They dont seem to care what others think, they do what they want. To have those qualities in a city would make it more Texan to me.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
What separates Houston from the others is:

1.Near the coast
2.Geography [the others are more dry and hilly]
3.Culturally [Houston is more culturally connected to the Gulf Coast than Texas imo]
4.Very Diverse [Dallas is as well, but it's significantly segregated and diversity is still relatively new].
5.Skyline - Many skyscraper clusters all around the city give it really big and powerful feeling. Dallas doesn't give me that feeling.

I believe I think like this because I'm from Waco and was much more familiar with Dallas than Houston. Houston embraces the southern/Texan culture while Dallas avoids it. However, Dallas still feels very much like a Texan to me. Dallas literally does give off the vibe of "country folks just trying to be city".

Old 07-19-2011, 01:33 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,823,342 times
I know what Houston has going for it...Galveston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas