Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 AM

517 posts, read 1,052,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xripcurrent View Post
Hi my wife and I are conservative and we're just really fed up with all the excess taxes in CA and so on.

We're considering relocating for work to Quanah, Texas and weighing our options of where to settle if we move there.

We would like to get feedback from folks that live there presently or at least in the last couple years.

Cities being considered:
Quanah
Vernon
Childress
Wichita Falls

And any others of significant note that I haven't listed as great potential that you may have input on would be welcomed.

P.S. Wife is tugging my arm to ask in a F4 or a F5 is there any homes built these days that will actually survive? Sorry if it's a lame question but I can see/understand where the Mrs. concern is coming from.

Thanks in Advance,

Rip
First, the politics.

If politics is the main reason for moving, turn off the TV. In fact even if it isn't, turn off the TV anyway. It is amazing that TV will cause so much upset. Well maybe it shouldn't be amazing. Researchers have found that when information is presented along with emotions, the recall of that information is improved. So, it only makes sense that commercials, which present information are more valuable when presented with emotion.

I have never been to Orange County CA, or if I have I was doing 70 the whole time. But I have spent a couple of weeks in September in Long Beach, (Working on the Sea Launch system at the old navy base.) I was amazed by the cost of housing, and how the land was sold by the square foot. (I.E. three bed one bath house on 4000 square foot lot for 230,000 dollars. Has potential.) I thought for that price I could get a 4000 square foot house, that is already realizing its potential. Then by the end of the two weeks, I realized that you can actually live on the whole 4000 square foot lot, not in Texas, most of the time you will be inside the 4000 square foot house, or driving somewhere.

I understand that Orange County is further to the east and has a more sever climate than the Los Angeles area, and you might not be giving up as much.

I am from the Gulf Coast of Texas and currently live in Deep East Texas in the Piney Woods, specifically Nacogdoches Texas. While I am currently trying to move to Alaska, I would not want to move to any city. Not Dallas, not Houston, not L.A. not D.C., just don't like big cities. On the other hand I am a Democrat. I remember 5 years ago getting kicked out of the coffee shop in Center. The owner and I were talking and he was a member of the Tea Party and was getting wound up and mentioned that he might take up arms if the Obama won. I pointed out that about the time he looked down the barrel of his rifle we could very possibly see me sighted down the barrel of mine. He kicked me out. I thought about rounding up all the democrats in Center and challenging him to a grudge basketball match but I wasn't sure I could get five team members.

On the tornado thing, there is a house that will take the f-4, f-5. Go to Italy Texas and tour the plant for the Monolithic Dome homes. You can get a good architect and make it look nice. The guy building them in Italy is an engineer and the look of the homes there are ghastly. On the other hand I drove up there one summer and looked around. The temperature registering on the dash of my car was 106, I walk into a garage, no insulation, the doors left open or gone, and the big Wal-mart thermometer hanging on the back wall registered 82.

Monolithic Dome homes, schools, churches, storages, gyms and more | Monolithic

When it comes to living independently, having one of these on some land with a well, some solar panels and wind mill and you have it going on.

I told my wife, we move north of I-20, we are getting a dome.

Cheers
Qazulight (One excuse is good as another for getting what you want.)
Attached Thumbnails
Orange County to Texas Possibly-medium_dec-2-2009-061-edit-kl.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 07:55 AM

31 posts, read 96,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
First, the politics.

If politics is the main reason for moving, turn off the TV. In fact even if it isn't, turn off the TV anyway. It is amazing that TV will cause so much upset. Well maybe it shouldn't be amazing. Researchers have found that when information is presented along with emotions, the recall of that information is improved. So, it only makes sense that commercials, which present information are more valuable when presented with emotion.

I have never been to Orange County CA, or if I have I was doing 70 the whole time. But I have spent a couple of weeks in September in Long Beach, (Working on the Sea Launch system at the old navy base.) I was amazed by the cost of housing, and how the land was sold by the square foot. (I.E. three bed one bath house on 4000 square foot lot for 230,000 dollars. Has potential.) I thought for that price I could get a 4000 square foot house, that is already realizing its potential. Then by the end of the two weeks, I realized that you can actually live on the whole 4000 square foot lot, not in Texas, most of the time you will be inside the 4000 square foot house, or driving somewhere.

I understand that Orange County is further to the east and has a more sever climate than the Los Angeles area, and you might not be giving up as much.

I am from the Gulf Coast of Texas and currently live in Deep East Texas in the Piney Woods, specifically Nacogdoches Texas. While I am currently trying to move to Alaska, I would not want to move to any city. Not Dallas, not Houston, not L.A. not D.C., just don't like big cities. On the other hand I am a Democrat. I remember 5 years ago getting kicked out of the coffee shop in Center. The owner and I were talking and he was a member of the Tea Party and was getting wound up and mentioned that he might take up arms if the Obama won. I pointed out that about the time he looked down the barrel of his rifle we could very possibly see me sighted down the barrel of mine. He kicked me out. I thought about rounding up all the democrats in Center and challenging him to a grudge basketball match but I wasn't sure I could get five team members.

On the tornado thing, there is a house that will take the f-4, f-5. Go to Italy Texas and tour the plant for the Monolithic Dome homes. You can get a good architect and make it look nice. The guy building them in Italy is an engineer and the look of the homes there are ghastly. On the other hand I drove up there one summer and looked around. The temperature registering on the dash of my car was 106, I walk into a garage, no insulation, the doors left open or gone, and the big Wal-mart thermometer hanging on the back wall registered 82.

When it comes to living independently, having one of these on some land with a well, some solar panels and wind mill and you have it going on.

Cheers
Ha! That is funny about turning off TV we don't have cable and haven't for years. The news seems to always be about people getting killed and the cable news outlets are always ranting and raging about one thing or another. I can stream my sports online and 230K for a 4000 sq ft. home is a steal in O.C. these days you will be lucky if you get half that for 230K. P.S. main reason for move is change of pace desired and no love for state taxes in CA.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xripcurrent View Post
Hi my wife and I are conservative and we're just really fed up with all the excess taxes in CA and so on.

We're considering relocating for work to Quanah, Texas and weighing our options of where to settle if we move there.

We would like to get feedback from folks that live there presently or at least in the last couple years.

Cities being considered:
Quanah
Vernon
Childress
Wichita Falls

And any others of significant note that I haven't listed as great potential that you may have input on would be welcomed.

P.S. Wife is tugging my arm to ask in a F4 or a F5 is there any homes built these days that will actually survive? Sorry if it's a lame question but I can see/understand where the Mrs. concern is coming from.

Thanks in Advance,

Rip
I thought I would chime in. I grew up in Torrance and lived in West LA and Garden Grove. Currently, I live in the Dallas area. Like you, my wife and I are mixed race. Im Middle Eastern and my wife is Thai. What part of OC are you coming from?

I wouldnt move here just for political reasons alone. The towns you are talking about are nice enough and Im sure you would be able to make friends over time as we have, but youre going to have to prepare for some major culture shock to go from Suburban LA to the Texas Panhandle. It wasnt quite as drastic for us because we moved to a large city and there are tons of Californians as well as international residents in the Dallas area.

Two things I always tell any Californian who moves to Texas:

1) Its hot
2) Its flat

For some reason, many from the West Coast who move here act shocked at the reality of those two things.

As for those towns specifically, I have spent significant time in each one along with my wife (mainly Childress and Vernon). I would not worry about being a mixed race couple. I dont think you are going to receive any disdain for that. Weve gotten some curiosity stares in those towns, but no seething hatred. I would worry more about being from California. When talking to some of the locals (friends of friends), the fact that we were of different races or even that I was Middle Eastern raised no eyebrows. However, the mention of California was a cue for everyone and the brother to talk about what a liberal cesspool it is (to them anyway). Unlike you, I am left of center so I didnt shy away from the debate. Being from California will make it harder to break in the smaller towns. It probably would not be as much of an issue in Wichita Falls.

If I had your choice and I wanted to live in a small town, I would choose Childress or Wichita Falls. In my opinion they have the most pretty topography of the towns in question. If you like to go hiking or do things outdoor, I think they are best. Childress has some good hills north of the city and Wichita Falls is not far from Jacksboro, which is a very pretty town set in the hills.

Hope that helps and welcome to Texas!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 AM

31 posts, read 96,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I thought I would chime in. I grew up in Torrance and lived in West LA and Garden Grove. Currently, I live in the Dallas area. Like you, my wife and I are mixed race. Im Middle Eastern and my wife is Thai. What part of OC are you coming from?

I wouldnt move here just for political reasons alone. The towns you are talking about are nice enough and Im sure you would be able to make friends over time as we have, but youre going to have to prepare for some major culture shock to go from Suburban LA to the Texas Panhandle. It wasnt quite as drastic for us because we moved to a large city and there are tons of Californians as well as international residents in the Dallas area.

1) Its hot
2) Its flat

For some reason, many from the West Coast who move here act shocked at the reality of those two things.

As for those towns specifically, I have spent significant time in each one along with my wife (mainly Childress and Vernon). I would not worry about being a mixed race couple. I dont think you are going to receive any disdain for that. Weve gotten some curiosity stares in those towns, but no seething hatred. I would worry more about being from California. When talking to some of the locals (friends of friends), the fact that we were of different races or even that I was Middle Eastern raised no eyebrows. However, the mention of California was a cue for everyone and the brother to talk about what a liberal cesspool it is (to them anyway). Unlike you, I am left of center so I didnt shy away from the debate. Being from California will make it harder to break in the smaller towns. It probably would not be as much of an issue in Wichita Falls.

If I had your choice and I wanted to live in a small town, I would choose Childress or Wichita Falls. In my opinion they have the most pretty topography of the towns in question. If you like to go hiking or do things outdoor, I think they are best. Childress has some good hills north of the city and Wichita Falls is not far from Jacksboro, which is a very pretty town set in the hills.

We lived in Arizona for 9 years before living in CA and are used to extreme heat unfortunately and humidity during monsoon season of course we realize TX has a lot more humidity compared to AZ. Our main reason for moving from CA is the taxes and housing prices in CA are ridiculous.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,904 times
Quote:
First, the politics.

Cheers
Orange County is south of LA not east and no, the weather is not more "severe" than LA. Whoever told you that doesnt know what theyre talking about. I know, I grew up in Orange County. Orange County is south of LA and north of San Diego along the west coast. And the weather there is the polar opposite of severe. Unless you consider 70's and sunny in January and Febuary severe. lol

Old 02-04-2013, 06:34 AM

517 posts, read 1,052,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
Orange County is south of LA not east and no, the weather is not more "severe" than LA. Whoever told you that doesnt know what theyre talking about. I know, I grew up in Orange County. Orange County is south of LA and north of San Diego along the west coast. And the weather there is the polar opposite of severe. Unless you consider 70's and sunny in January and Febuary severe. lol
Like I said, don't think I had been there. I understand that the further from the ocean you get the more extreme the temperatures get. (extreme being relative to living right on the ocean not compared to living in the Panhandle of Texas)

Cheers
Qazulight (Our new preacher is from.Redding, he seems to be adjusting ok)

Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
Like I said, don't think I had been there. I understand that the further from the ocean you get the more extreme the temperatures get.
Orange County touches the ocean.

If you live in Orange County for the weather, ocean, and outdoor activities, you will hate the Texas places you mentioned. If you live a normal, sort of boring suburban life and just want to go to work and hold on to a few more bucks and have small vacations on the weekends, then you'll like it just fine. All of those places are sort of isolated, with Dallas/Ft Worth being a solid hour from Wichita Falls (the biggest of the cities you mentioned). But you will find a home on some land for a decent price. Shopping and amenities won't be the best since all the places are small. If you have a hate of chain restaurants and Wal-Mart, then you also might want to reconsider.

If you visit the ocean regularly, you also really might want to reconsider. Houston is the closest ocean at about 250 miles away, and it's not comparable at all to the Pacific in Orange County.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

1) Its hot
2) Its flat

Did you fly in to Dallas...did you somehow miss all those bumpy things out by El Paso?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
Did you fly in to Dallas...did you somehow miss all those bumpy things out by El Paso?
Sure, but remember:
El Paso to Huntington Beach CA (A city in Orange County on the Pacific Ocean): 800 miles
El Paso to Wichita Falls: 600 miles
El Paso to Dallas: 640 miles
El Paso to Houston: 750 miles

Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,904 times
Quote:
Like I said, don't think I had been there. I understand that the further from the ocean you get the more extreme the temperatures get. (extreme being relative to living right on the ocean not compared to living in the Panhandle of Texas)

Cheers
Qazulight (Our new preacher is from.Redding, he seems to be adjusting ok)
If youre talking about just Orange County there are no "extreme" temperatures. Inland Orange County (north OC) gets a bit hotter in the summer than coastal Orange County (south OC) but nothing "extreme." And winter time is alot of 60's and 70's in the day and 40's at night in both regions of Orange County. Hardly extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas