Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Highway System Is Better Lufkin or Tyler?
Lufkin 15 68.18%
Tyler 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:21 PM

875 posts, read 1,662,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietthings View Post
Not sure I understand. There wasn't any "turning" it into a toll road. It was never planned to be a free access road, it was going to be a toll road from the start. And apparently it was feasible because it was built and is open.

Don't get me wrong, I too am jaded by Texas politics, but it simply wouldn't have been funded were it not a toll road.
I understand the road was "build to be a toll road"..my first sentence stated that. I also understand the road is needed. Just find it very odd that a toll road is in a metro the size of Tyler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:16 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,905,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I understand the road was "build to be a toll road"..my first sentence stated that. I also understand the road is needed. Just find it very odd that a toll road is in a metro the size of Tyler.
Preach that make alot of sense of what you are saying thats what I am trying to get mark to understand!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,905,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Yes, no road of any kind would have been built. Even this was 30 to 40 years in the making. It's only een open for the full 25 miles for a few weeks now. The earlier sections were experiencing higher levels of use than expected not expected higher use until the sections were compeleted from I-20 to 69 South.

The plan is to go on up Northeast to I-20 on the Eastside of Tyler. But no funds for this, so it will likely be many years for the remaining 15-20 miles. Looks like anyway.

This is for DEE to try to understand. The county, Smith, that Tyler is in, grew 30-35 thousand in the 10 years between 2000-2010, as much or more than the entire population of Lufkin, no wonder Tyler has traffic problems, especially compared to Lufkin, for that matter the county has grown more than 100,000 since 1980, yep, three times the population of Lufkin where do we think these addictional folks drive, yep in Tyler. Can we put this topic to sleep/rest. lol
Your are not making sense because adding people to the populations of a city is not what solution that Txdot go with.You do realize that Lufkin added the amount of stores you see on boardway st to the mall just in one spot and that is at the intersection of loop 287 and US59 which is around 50,000 daily.
You show me one spot in Tyler where the traffic count is that please and with a website because I maybe wrong lol but I don't recall in my research of seeing any intersection in Tyler having that kind of Traffic.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 AM

86 posts, read 199,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Your are not making sense because adding people to the populations of a city is not what solution that Txdot go with.You do realize that Lufkin added the amount of stores you see on boardway st to the mall just in one spot and that is at the intersection of loop 287 and US59 which is around 50,000 daily.
You show me one spot in Tyler where the traffic count is that please and with a website because I maybe wrong lol but I don't recall in my research of seeing any intersection in Tyler having that kind of Traffic.
This map is a little hard to read but,

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot...1/tyl_supp.pdf

Intersection of Loop 323 and Broadway is at 70,000 cars per day.

Intersection of Loop 323 and 155 S is at 68,000 cars per day.

Intersection of Loop 323 and 64 W is at 57,000 cars per day.

These numbers are a great example of why the outer loop was needed. These car per day counts will hopefully come down now that people have an alternative.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,088,095 times
Dee, my point in the last post was mainly that the state providing Lufkin with a loop and parts of 259 like a freeway, would of course make the area less congested. Also, my point about the 100,000 population growth in Smith County would of course, lol, make Tyler more congested than the much slower growth of Angelina County. Hope you understand this, you may not like it, but stats confirm my point on this topic.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM

816 posts, read 1,948,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Indeed.

This project has been in the talks around since mid-late 80's. I just wish they would use Loop 323 as a freeway long ago but of course Tyler was going through a rapid growth since the late 90's. It was totally unexpected. Broadway didn't have that much traffic in the late 90's if I can remember but then since 2000, it just keep getting worse and it will be for awhile.

I'm thankful for the Loop 49 if I want to get to Dallas/Fort Worth or other parts of Tyler and on the other side if I want to get to Shreveport/Longview/Kilgore. That part won't be finished for awhile.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:53 PM

43 posts, read 122,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Lufkin and Nacogdoches do have city buses the brazos transit.I always thought you where smart until that note lmao!
Yeah, Lufkin has had a bus system for about 25 years. Only about 4 routes around the city but they run like 6am to 6pm so i guess it does help some people. I've personally rode it maybe 5 times. At one point they even had shuttles running back and forth to Nacogdoches and Diboll but I don't think that is still the case. They are not big city buses which is why people maybe don't notice them-more like vans. When they first came to Lufkin they looked like trolley cars and they are still called "the trolley."

Old 04-23-2013, 06:02 PM

43 posts, read 122,483 times
To be back on subject I used to go to Tyler weekly for my job about 10 years ago and always wondered what they had against overpasses?

Old 04-23-2013, 08:17 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,088,095 times
Could not pull up the link you gave us. Thanks, but what about Troup(110) and the Loop, gotta be near the top. No response from Dee, did we all notice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietthings View Post
This map is a little hard to read but,

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot...1/tyl_supp.pdf

Intersection of Loop 323 and Broadway is at 70,000 cars per day.

Intersection of Loop 323 and 155 S is at 68,000 cars per day.

Intersection of Loop 323 and 64 W is at 57,000 cars per day.

These numbers are a great example of why the outer loop was needed. These car per day counts will hopefully come down now that people have an alternative.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 AM

86 posts, read 199,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Could not pull up the link you gave us. Thanks, but what about Troup(110) and the Loop, gotta be near the top. No response from Dee, did we all notice?
Forgot to included that count, 110 S and Loop 323 is also at 70,000 cars per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas