Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 05:09 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
And homosexuality is an orientation, not a decision.
Whatever makes you sleep better.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:10 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
Whatever makes you sleep better.
Yes, knowing the truth is a nice way to go to bed every night.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:11 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Another diversion. In order to normalize and gain sympathy attempt to link them to the civil rights movement of the 1950's and 60's. Afro-Americans are a race of people not a decision.
Neither is being gay. No marginalization has taken place. They aren't the same, but in both cases you're dealing with groups that were/are denied rights for something they can't help.

You are the one repeating the lie. You're providing the diversion, not me.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:15 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,651 times
turkeytrot, I apologize if you've already answered this, and if you have maybe you can just point me to where you've answered it, but what is your alternative? That gay and lesbian people just...ignore their orientation? Should they not be able to find love? Is that what we should all strive for? "You're not normal, so give up any hope of being happy. It's just the way things should be."

Or are you of the opinion that you can stop being homosexual - and I don't mean to not act on it, but to actually stop having homosexual desires?

Old 05-18-2013, 09:30 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,983,409 times
Quote:
For that answer you can go back a few pages and read it, I'm tired of re-posting for those who won't read.

You're one of those who want to insist there is anger when a there is an opposing view in a dialog.
I can assure you and anyone else my emotions have not gotten the better of me. An attempt at insulting me or trying to belittle me fails for I do not hand my emotions over so easily.
What you attempted is a form of peer pressure but I don't bow to it.
Your attempt did make me chuckle though.

I do have a question for you though. Have you lived in this part Texas or just took someones word for what goes on in Texas? An honest question.
Went to high school in Lubbock as well as one year at Texas Tech. That was in the early 1970s. Have lived later in Fort Worth, Mineral Wells, Beaumont, Austin. I know Texas.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Neither is being gay. No marginalization has taken place. They aren't the same, but in both cases you're dealing with groups that were/are denied rights for something they can't help.

You are the one repeating the lie. You're providing the diversion, not me.
I beg to differ. If it was a normal lifestyle the strategy of normalizing wouldn't have been pushed.
I don't hate people, what I do hate is the sense that one group should take away the rights of others so they can feel good about themselves or accepted.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Went to high school in Lubbock as well as one year at Texas Tech. That was in the early 1970s. Have lived later in Fort Worth, Mineral Wells, Beaumont, Austin. I know Texas.
You obviously don't know it now. I moved to just south of Amarillo in 2000 from the DFW area and the first thing I noticed wasn't the working ranches or what one might expect out here it was the number of homosexuals. Males acting and trying to look like females and females acting and dressing like males.
Not the strange assortment of people that you see at Walmart late at night.
You may have known Texas but it's not that way anymore.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I beg to differ. If it was a normal lifestyle the strategy of normalizing wouldn't have been pushed.
I don't hate people, what I do hate is the sense that one group should take away the rights of others so they can feel good about themselves or accepted.
And this seems to be the crux of the matter, as far as you are willing to state it. But what rights are gay people taking away from you? The right to get married? The benefits of being able to sponsor a spouse for immigration purposes, file a joint tax return, have social security survivor benefits, etc, etc? And I'm only citing a few federal rights and benefits here, not the many that fall under the purview of the individual states. No: you aren't losing any rights or benefits. Rather, it is socially contributing, tax paying gay and lesbian American citizens who are without full rights and equality before the law.

What you are talking about amounts to privileging one group of persons - heterosexuals - above another group of citizens, homosexual persons. You justify it by calling us "not normal", which translates to "unequal" -- just as African-Americans were once "inferior" and therefore held unequal before the law, denied basic human rights and routinely discriminated against.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
You obviously don't know it now. I moved to just south of Amarillo in 2000 from the DFW area and the first thing I noticed wasn't the working ranches or what one might expect out here it was the number of homosexuals. Males acting and trying to look like females and females acting and dressing like males.
Not the strange assortment of people that you see at Walmart late at night.
You may have known Texas but it's not that way anymore.
Oh yeah, I'm sure rural West Texas is just swarming with drag queens and bull dykes One of the things that happens in such places, however, is that people who don't have the wherewithall and courage to leave, and who are unable to closet themselves in a heterosexual marriage, sometimes do manifest a combination of protest and personal pain by affecting a silly caricature of male or female homosexuality. Actually, some of those folks may not be gay or lesbian at all, but rather trans-gender people who again feel stuck in their environment, haven't the courage or imagination or intelligence to get out, and who act contrary to manifest biological gender because they actually have the psychological identity of the opposite gender. In any event, as a late adolescent in Lubbock, a couple of the most stereotyped effiminate gay males I've ever run across were right there in the Hub. One of these was a young man who had previously lived in Morton (I knew several kids from that town - long story) and had moved to Lubbock I guess to improve his lot in life, so I suppose that took a bit of imagination on his part, though he still seemed isolated, stuck in a stereotype that even back then was past its sell-by date, and kind of pathetic. So I'm not entirely surprised when you tell me you see these caricatures out there who are sixty years out of date in terms of the way they present (think Quentin Crisp coming out in 1940s Britain and you will have the type, only without Crisp's talents as a writer and self-promoter).

Old 05-19-2013, 08:35 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
First off I never accused you of being hateful.

Secondly, what rights are being taken from others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas