Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 12:20 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times

Advertisements

The title pretty much says it all.

http://www.ksat.com/news/rick-perry-...d/-/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 12:28 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,950,228 times
I actually like Governor Perry, even though I'm a democrat. Hopefully, the new governor will be able to lure companies to Texas like Perry has.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:40 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Thank, meet G-d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I actually like Governor Perry, even though I'm a democrat. Hopefully, the new governor will be able to lure companies to Texas like Perry has.
He really doesn't even do the greatest job at that either. Anyone can wave an "I exempt you from taxes for decades" wand and lure business.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Thank god! I actually thought he was a pretty good governor until he got presidental aspirations and doubled down on the crazy in his last term, but even if he had done everything I personally agreed with, 4 terms is too many for a governor. Texas doesn't need a king. I congratulate him for stepping down and moving on.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:13 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
Thank God!

Good to bow out while your ahead, or behind... (depending on your perspective)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Thank, meet G-d.

He really doesn't even do the greatest job at that either. Anyone can wave an "I exempt you from taxes for decades" wand and lure business.
^this

So many other blunders too

The NAFTA super highway
Immigration
Funding for illegals to go to college
Gardasil
The presidential debates
That awful anti-gay campaign ad

He was an embarrassment

Old 07-08-2013, 01:27 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
The average IQ of the candidates on the next gubernatorial ballot just jumped 50 points. If you wanna credit anybody for prosperity in Texas, Perry should be last on your list because with the state's weak governorship he's responsible for little, if any of it. As boneheaded as Perry is, it's probably a good thing he doesn't have much power.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM
rwr

268 posts, read 612,209 times
Default Great Job!!!!!!!

Great job Gov. Perry and may God continue to bless you and yours! Now it's time to elect an even more conservative governor.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:58 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Na na na na
na na na na
hey
hey
hey

goodbye

Old 07-08-2013, 02:37 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You'd be surprised how little taxes actually have to do with business relocations (my job is related to this). Taxes are important, but the gubmint will get money from you one way or the other, via property taxes or the like. Plus, businesses don't pay taxes anyway - they simply pass those costs on to customers.

The number one thing that businesses require is a good labor pool. Period. If there aren't people that can do whatever it is your company does, the taxes could be zero but the company would still not make any money. That's why the Silicon Valley is around despite CA's numerous problems.

I would say that after labor supply the next most important thing is regulatory climate, which encompasses a lot of different things. Union versus right-to-work, amount and type of regulations, etc. After that, taxes might start to be a determining factor.

The fact that Texas has reasonable taxes is not what makes Texas prosperous, though it is reflective of the fact that the politicians mostly understand what it takes to run a business, or at the least, know to stay out of the way. Mostly staying out of the way and maintaining a healthy regulatory environment is what I think Perry did best. I could have done with less of his moralizing on social issues, but he understands what businesses want. Contrast this with states like CA, IL, MI, NY, NJ, etc that have high taxes, unions and lots of regulations of various types, and it's not surprising why businesses leave those states for states like Texas.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Attorney General Greg Abbott is now the frontrunner to be the next governor. Anyone excited about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas