Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will this winter ever end?
No, abandon all hope 44 77.19%
Maybe, miracles happen right? 13 22.81%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:23 AM

816 posts, read 1,946,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
NO!!!!!!!! I HATE HATE HATE summer!!!! Loved out winter weather.
Summer heat is way better than winter blizzards, which paralyzes the region.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,872,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
Summer heat is way better than winter blizzards, which paralyzes the region.
Excessive, prolonged summer heat can be deadly for some, especially if it overtaxes the AC--and it goes out. Happens all the time--older systems sometimes cannot keep up with the demands placed on them.

Winter blizzards, ice storms and heavy snow are not NEARLY as common in TX as endless days of searing heat 100+.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Excessive, prolonged summer heat can be deadly for some, especially if it overtaxes the AC--and it goes out. Happens all the time--older systems sometimes cannot keep up with the demands placed on them.

Winter blizzards, ice storms and heavy snow are not NEARLY as common in TX as endless days of searing heat 100+.
"Deadly" if not taken the right steps as every native Texans know this. There should be no excuse about a/c going out. How did people in Texas before a/c was invented, survive? I find it amazing how they live through no a/c.

I'm sorry if I did not make myself clear, I didn't mean blizzards in Texas, but places in Midwest or Northeast. Also, don't forget about many people suffer deadly heart attacks from only shoveling snow on driveways and sidewalks.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
"Deadly" if not taken the right steps as every native Texans know this. There should be no excuse about a/c going out. How did people in Texas before a/c was invented, survive? I find it amazing how they live through no a/c.

I'm sorry if I did not make myself clear, I didn't mean blizzards in Texas, but places in Midwest or Northeast. Also, don't forget about many people suffer deadly heart attacks from only shoveling snow on driveways and sidewalks.
Houses were designed differently back in the days before AC--wrap-around porches and other features to help maximize the movement and use of nature's air.

I am one of the lucky ones who grew up with some sort of cooling, even if it meant swamp coolers for the first few years of my life, before the refrigerated air system went in, around 1961 or so. My parents built the house in 1951 with 2 large swamp coolers, and the ductwork already in place for the refrigerated system to come later.

The attic also had a big whole-house fan. Those items make a difference, but are usually no longer built into modern housing.

No excuse? HVACs can and do go out all of the time, and if there is a really severe heat wave, it often happens in bunches. The repair people can be overwhelmed with the demand, and you may have to wait a day or so to get service. It has happened to me and others before. So I don't see where "excuse" comes in. It's not like *I* know what to do for a compressor that has died!

HOWEVER.....some of us did learn a lesson, and got to the point of having systems checked/maintained twice a year for each system--around March for AC and November for heating.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:02 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I loved it today....I just wish it would of hit 100.
Are you simply sick or what??? lol, just kiddin' I've been in Tyler to Houston all of my life, and never have I gotten "used to" the heat... yeah, I am warm natured? but 80 degrees in the sun, with no breeze is too warm for my comfort. For me 60 with no wind is just great, it will be what it will be, or as the current, I think is current saying, it is what it is.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Houses were designed differently back in the days before AC--wrap-around porches and other features to help maximize the movement and use of nature's air.

I am one of the lucky ones who grew up with some sort of cooling, even if it meant swamp coolers for the first few years of my life, before the refrigerated air system went in, around 1961 or so. My parents built the house in 1951 with 2 large swamp coolers, and the ductwork already in place for the refrigerated system to come later.

The attic also had a big whole-house fan. Those items make a difference, but are usually no longer built into modern housing.

No excuse? HVACs can and do go out all of the time, and if there is a really severe heat wave, it often happens in bunches. The repair people can be overwhelmed with the demand, and you may have to wait a day or so to get service. It has happened to me and others before. So I don't see where "excuse" comes in. It's not like *I* know what to do for a compressor that has died!

HOWEVER.....some of us did learn a lesson, and got to the point of having systems checked/maintained twice a year for each system--around March for AC and November for heating.
You make good points. Obviously, since I'm a native Texan, I should be learning how people back then lived like in Texas, and how I should be thankful living in a/c in the right time. We happen to have a compressor died on us a month ago in the 80's degrees weather for a day. We have been without a/c for a few days before, it was brutal, but our house has many trees around to keep the house under shade most of the day.

Although, I stand my case, I know you agree with prolonged summers being worse than winter blizzards in the Midwest or Northeast. It's a fair trade-off that we do get 5 months of hot consistent summers in most of Texas, while they get like 4 months of winter blizzards in Midwest/Northeast, here and there, and "can" paralyze the region, even if they're prepared.

I really should make a thread with a poll about it. It would be interesting to see how many Texans would vote for prolonged summers versus winter blizzards.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:53 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Are you simply sick or what??? lol, just kiddin' I've been in Tyler to Houston all of my life, and never have I gotten "used to" the heat... yeah, I am warm natured? but 80 degrees in the sun, with no breeze is too warm for my comfort. For me 60 with no wind is just great, it will be what it will be, or as the current, I think is current saying, it is what it is.
haha That's a good one Mark.....I just prefer the heat.the cold just makes me feel really bad and I never can get warm during the winter time lol.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
You make good points. Obviously, since I'm a native Texan, I should be learning how people back then lived like in Texas, and how I should be thankful living in a/c in the right time. We happen to have a compressor died on us a month ago in the 80's degrees weather for a day. We have been without a/c for a few days before, it was brutal, but our house has many trees around to keep the house under shade most of the day.

Although, I stand my case, I know you agree with prolonged summers being worse than winter blizzards in the Midwest or Northeast. It's a fair trade-off that we do get 5 months of hot consistent summers in most of Texas, while they get like 4 months of winter blizzards in Midwest/Northeast, here and there, and "can" paralyze the region, even if they're prepared.

I really should make a thread with a poll about it. It would be interesting to see how many Texans would vote for prolonged summers versus winter blizzards.
The Midwest/Northeast has the worst climate in the world, especially winter or summer. I spent a few days in Chicago and northern Indiana right after Christmas one year. I have NEVER been that cold in my life. I even had my ski clothes with me (long johns, layers, etc.), and I couldn't get warm enough. It's a wet, bitter, penetrating cold. They do get blizzards, but it's not like they have a blizzard every day in the winter.

The summers in those areas are hot, sticky and very humid. I suppose that mid-to late spring is nice in both areas, and probably early to late fall, with the heat moderating, and the leaves turning colors for a glorious landscape.

It's not necessarily the heat that bothers me here--it's the sheer length of the hot weather. In my part of Texas, the summers aren't going to be as bad, but still hotter than I like. It's 88°/8% humidity here, and 71° in NM from whence I moved. I am missing it right about now, and that feeling is likely to last until late October! Northern NM won't even begin to get hot for at least 6 more weeks.

Yep, your poll would be interesting. You might find that there are a lot of NUTS on here that LIKE 9 months of heat!!!

I left Texas after having grown up here, and 55 years of Texas summers. It's too bad homesickness got me back, because I sure do miss northern NM and SW CO weather. We had a GREAT winter for Texas this year, and I wish it could be that way every year. Cold in West Texas and points farther west (NM, AZ, CO, etc.) are a completely different ballgame, with a mostly dry cold that is easy to tolerate.

Can't have it all.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 PM

587 posts, read 960,961 times
Quote:
, and I couldn't get warm enough.
That's exactly how I felt last winter.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:47 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
That's exactly how I felt last winter.
same here man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas