Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Didn't know about that. OK - so a metro of 5M people has one "real" brewpub? BJ's doesn't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 09:18 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,458,160 times
This is old but the comments are quite interesting. ......to me Houston has the edge over Dallas. .....but its invisible.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/353582

Old 04-15-2014, 09:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Didn't know about that. OK - so a metro of 5M people has one "real" brewpub? BJ's doesn't count.
That's the only brewpub I know of. I never said anything about that being the only. You DID, however, claim that we didn't have a single one, without knowing whether this was actually true or not, so...

Either way, it's not something I'm losing any sleep over. Way too many options in this city.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
This is pretty easy info to find out (brew pubs in Houston).

https://www.google.com/search?q=brew...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Brew Pubs in Houston, Texas with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Old 04-16-2014, 05:32 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,973,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Lived in both Houston and Austin. Houston has handsdowns the best food between the two. Austin is full of mediocre food trucks and crappy texmex joints. The BBQ though is the best in the state but honestly that's the only thing the city has going for it. Houston literally has every single thing you could ever want. Not sure about Dallas though with it's size I'd imagine it has some pretty good stuff going on foodwise.

Honorable mention though: Corpus Christi has some incredible mexican food if you know the right places.
Houston has far worse tex-mex than Austin. Most Houstonians think Pappasitos is good Tex-Mex. That being said, I do think that Houston has more variety overall.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:37 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,973,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Where are the ribs and overall southern barbecue choices in Austin that outdo Burn's, Gatlin's, or the numerous shacks around town?
Have you ever had ribs from Franklin or John Mueller Meat Co.? Delicious! The pulled pork from Franklin is the absolute best too.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:28 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
This is my opinion based on the 4 largest metro areas in Texas. If I put an exclamation point next to it, its top 10 nation wide:

Ethnic food variety:
1) Houston !
2) Dallas !
3) Austin
4) San Antonio

Regional cuisine:
1) San Antonio!
2) Austin
3) Houston
4) Dallas

Innovation:
1) Austin!
2) Houston
3) Dallas
4) San Antonio

Fine Dining:
1) Dallas!
2) Houston
3) Austin
4) San Antonio

Late night eating:
1) Houston/Austin
3) Dallas
4) San Antonio

BTW Jack Lance, Underbelly is a great restaurant. Ive enjoyed it many times, but fine dining it isn't.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Unfortunately your list doesn't know what a brewpub is. Fox and Hound is a pub that serves food. It does not brew beer on premise. St. Arnolds is a well known craft brewery, one of the longest running in Texas, but it is not a restaurant. And so on.

I didn't look at every listing in the YP list - but I don't think a single one is a brewpub.

Although I missed the interesting brewpub listed above, I was only slightly wrong with my statement. Houston has ONE brewpub. BJ's Brewhouse is a chain brewpub, kind of like a Chili's or TGIF. I believe that most BJ's do not brew their beer on premise. It is brewed elsewhere and served on draft in the restaurant.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Unfortunately your list doesn't know what a brewpub is. Fox and Hound is a pub that serves food. It does not brew beer on premise. St. Arnolds is a well known craft brewery, one of the longest running in Texas, but it is not a restaurant. And so on.

I didn't look at every listing in the YP list - but I don't think a single one is a brewpub.

Although I missed the interesting brewpub listed above, I was only slightly wrong with my statement. Houston has ONE brewpub. BJ's Brewhouse is a chain brewpub, kind of like a Chili's or TGIF. I believe that most BJ's do not brew their beer on premise. It is brewed elsewhere and served on draft in the restaurant.
Actually what I said was the info is easy to find - by Googling. Like every Google search, one has to sift through the results. I don't know a thing about the brewpub scene in Houston and I really don't care how many brewpubs are there - because the overall dining/eating/drinking experience in Houston is absolutely fantastic. One of the best cities in nation when it comes to diversity and quality.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:38 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
BTW Jack Lance, Underbelly is a great restaurant. Ive enjoyed it many times, but fine dining it isn't.
You know one of the reasons I'm on this forum is to educate myself and keep abreast of what's going on. So please do tell what is "fine dinning" ? And more importantly to the subject of this thread where are these places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas