Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 04:18 PM

587 posts, read 961,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's the same story for nearly every transplant in any major hip city. People from X small town or suburb had a bad time there and never ventured to explore their nearby city and instead move to SF, NYC, LA, or Austin and think they have to act according to the stereotypes seen in the movies of upwardly mobile yuppies.

Austin transplants are the worst though. They tend to come from the suburbs of Dallas or Houston, never ventured pass their burb bubble and then went to college at UT or St. Eddies or ACC and were just floored with how cool a big college town is. After they graduate they never want to leave. They make fun of Houston and Dallas not realizing that both cities are professional hubs tapped into the top industries in the state.
They are usually parentally funded hipster kidults on extended playcations who view the city as a playground instead of a place to work and raise a family.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:34 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
They are usually parentally funded hipster kidults on extended playcations who view the city as a playground instead of a place to work and raise a family.
Yes, or they're stubborn habitually broke hipsters who room four to a bedroom cus they refuse to move back home or get a job in a city with a better job market. Some of these types work low wage jobs and the only thing that separates them from a migrant worker is that the broke hipster shops at trendy grift stores and lives a frugal yet hip lifestyle.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:06 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,182,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
That Dallas guy on the list I wouldn't exactly call a looker. Too feminine.
Lol none of them are really my type....
Then again, I'm not into trendy looks, or tattoos or piercings, etc.
More of a rugged all American type, w/ a five o’clock shadow.....

Austin seems to be getting a lot of controversy here, lol

Old 09-03-2014, 05:10 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Do they still make them like that in Uvalde? Did we miss a city?

Old 09-03-2014, 05:14 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
That Dallas guy on the list I wouldn't exactly call a looker. Too feminine.
Is that second pic Britney Griner?

Old 09-03-2014, 05:43 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
Quote:
Yes, or they're stubborn habitually broke hipsters who room four to a bedroom cus they refuse to move back home or get a job in a city with a better job market. Some of these types work low wage jobs and the only thing that separates them from a migrant worker is that the broke hipster shops at trendy grift stores and lives a frugal yet hip lifestyle.
LOL I love this I think you guys figured it out, thanks!

Old 09-03-2014, 05:50 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Is that second pic Britney Griner?
I guess dreadlocks makes someone look like a girl? I almost forgot this was the Texas forum.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:50 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,599,545 times
Quote:
That's the same story for nearly every transplant in any major hip city. People from X small town or suburb had a bad time there and never ventured to explore their nearby city and instead move to SF, NYC, LA, or Austin and think they have to act according to the stereotypes seen in the movies of upwardly mobile yuppies.

Austin transplants are the worst though. They tend to come from the suburbs of Dallas or Houston, never ventured pass their burb bubble and then went to college at UT or St. Eddies or ACC and were just floored with how cool a big college town is. After they graduate they never want to leave. They make fun of Houston and Dallas not realizing that both cities are professional hubs tapped into the top industries in the state.
Excellent observation. I noticed the same thing during my time living in Austin. The only people in Austin that seemed (from my observations anyway) to talk down on the rest of Texas or cop an elitist mentality were the ones who had moved there primarily from the Houston or DFW suburbs. Especially the ones from Houston.

I also noticed that most of these people had never really had any experience with the core areas of their respective home cities while growing up in the suburbs there, and had been brought up in a very sheltered, limited, suburban existence. Many had HUGE chips on their shoulders in regards to the rest of the state and would take any opportunity possible to make snarky comments about Houston, Dallas, or (to a lesser degree) San Antonio and Fort Worth.

Most actual born-and-raised native Austinites I knew did not share this insular, elitist attitude... and more or less had neutral to positive opinions about the rest of the state. However there was a very strong anti-California mentality among a lot of the natives that I picked up on in Austin.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:59 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,087,407 times
Quote:
That's an insufferable looking Austin hipster. By facial hair I'm sure the other poster means some stubble.
Nah, we mean, MUCH facial hair more big "fluffy" beards not 5'Oclock shadows. lol

Old 09-03-2014, 07:12 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
Maybe Presidio. Isn't that the hottest town in Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas