Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 05:28 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

I can't see any 18 wheelers using electricity to power their engines--
diesel isn't going away

My husband was talking to people with his former job--
they are saying an 18mo window for this and then expect prices to go back

I don't know if that is just wishful thinking--

We don't have the capacity or production to ship enough LNG to supply what the market overseas might need...and don't really see any desire to do so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 07:44 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
I can't see any 18 wheelers using electricity to power their engines--
diesel isn't going away
I do have a client in west Texas that has begun conversion of the construction vehicle fleet (as well as road trucks) to LNG. No long-haul markets involved, but it works great (and efficiently) for the regional market they serve. The state has some minor financial incentives for the original conversion, but it can make sense in some cases.
Quote:
Frack Here, Frack There. Why endure the transport costs?
See? You are thinking like an American .

Frac'ing does not work as well everywhere, and Europe is much more opposed - it just isn't going to happen any time soon. France has the largest shale reserves in Europe and frac'ing is completely banned there. Europeans WILL endure the transport cost because a) they don't want local frac'ing and b) even with transport cost, it will be much cheaper than Russia has historically charged.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:04 PM

334 posts, read 585,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I think Austin as well as San Antonio will benefit from the oil bust, with people visit & or relocating here from Midland and Houston.
Not enough jobs there.

Too expensive of housing there for oil field washouts.

It's going to be bad.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:07 PM

334 posts, read 585,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
People are pathetic whining little twits. You all are hypothesizing doomsday scenarios that have not materialized and will most likely never materialize. But it does give the Houston haters fodder for their flame so on and on it goes. The Commodities markets are about to open in Europe lets see if the dooms dayers will have another good day......
Why in the world are you so hostile and name-calling?

Old 12-16-2014, 02:25 PM

587 posts, read 961,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Fats View Post
Not enough jobs there.

It's going to be bad.
People usually move to Dallas from M/O.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:30 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
People usually move to Dallas from M/O.
The Bush's moved to Houston !

Old 12-16-2014, 02:33 PM

587 posts, read 961,278 times
Quote:
The Bush's moved to Houston !
GHWB is in Houston right? But W is in Dallas I thought.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:47 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
GHWB is in Houston right? But W is in Dallas I thought.
W moved to Dallas from Washington DC after his Presidency ended, the Bush's (41 & Barbara) moved to Houston in the late 50's when W and Jeb were still little tikes lol

Old 12-16-2014, 02:57 PM

435 posts, read 453,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Fats View Post
Not enough jobs there.

It's going to be bad.
Lol there are plenty of jobs in both cities for anyone who can pass a drug test and background check and get their act together. They surely won't pay as well, on average, but that's balanced out somewhat by lower cost-of-living.

Also, oil field workers already pay more to rent in West Texas than they would in either Austin or San Antonio.

Hell, one of the reasons oilfield work pays less in the San Antonio/Corpus corridor is because expenses are so much lower than they are in dedicated oilfield areas like Midland/Odessa.

Call me overly optimistic but I don't think a slide in prices is gonna be the drastic "sky is falling" disaster that so many seem to think is coming.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:06 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
You are assuming that Europe's supply of gas from Russia is stable which it is not. BTW there already is one LNG facility in Alaska that is exporting LNG now mostly to Japan.

If you want to preserve the Russian markets in Western Europe and the OPEC markets in India and the Middle East I suppose you would be against such a plan. However since this is being done without public funds it really doesn't matter what you or I think, or like....
It will be the bankruptcies, failed banks, and environmental clean up that will be dumped upon US and require public funds. Bidness as usual.

You see the numbers out of Russia this week? And this is only Tuesday.

Russia aint much of anybody's threat. Unless they get really POed and Nuke US.

Real Deal -- I am thinking that Europe is not really much of a market for US in the long run.

Would be FAR better to capture 100% of our own market, FIRST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas