Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,424,758 times

Advertisements

Oh, RL my brother, I am begrieved! Now you view Dallas County as the liberal sanctuary to evacuate to?

I am kidding, since I recall that you have Houston connections. And ... here, we need to nurture and preserve people with some kind of progressive orientation.

I feel that if we just leave and let the Culberson crowd take over, things here will just degenerate into a soylent-green type situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 10:44 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,067,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
To the OP.

West Coast: "Austin's the only livable place in TX" (paraphrase of OP I know)

Southerners: "Austin's overrated"

IMO, some of it has to do with the socio-cultural values and attitudes that tend to predominate among the two groups. Others have to do with being (on the West Coast) possibly fed up with mega-city life, while a lot of Southerners especially small town ones tend to be accustomed with less traffic and hustle and bustle.
I don't know about that.

Those from the West Coast usually say that because that's what they've read in the puff piece articles or saw on vacation to SXSW.

I don't know of any southerners from small towns who say Austin is overrated; really, they have little to say about it. Those who usually say it's overrated are from inside the larger cities (not suburbs of these cities - big difference) like Houston and Dallas, which have superior city amenities in comparison.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:25 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,035,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
Oh, RL my brother, I am begrieved! Now you view Dallas County as the liberal sanctuary to evacuate to?

I am kidding, since I recall that you have Houston connections. And ... here, we need to nurture and preserve people with some kind of progressive orientation.

I feel that if we just leave and let the Culberson crowd take over, things here will just degenerate into a soylent-green type situation.
I would never suggest anyone evacuate to Dallas to find a progressive sanctuary. LoL.

I actually think inner loop Houston and the services harris county provides are some of the most progressive in the state. More so than Travis and Austin, which claims to be this progressive haven. I guess when it comes to claiming to be something like Portland or the "San Francisco of the South", put your money where your mouth is ATX! LOL.

I see Austin the way I see Whole Foods. It has the organic free trade goods and the whole veneer of "liberalism" but like its owner/founder it's anti-union, libertarian, etc.

There was a book some time ago that as hitting the rounds during the Bush years called Crunchy Cons. While Austinites may vote democrat I still see the town as just mostly crunchy not progressive per se.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:11 PM

412 posts, read 547,060 times
I think plenty of Texans love Austin. I think what they don't like are transplants (or people that have never left their suburbs in the other cities) that move to TX/Austin and go like "Austin is the only livable place" without actually knowing/caring about the rest of the state.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
I think plenty of Texans love Austin. I think what they don't like are transplants (or people that have never left their suburbs in the other cities) that move to TX/Austin and go like "Austin is the only livable place" without actually knowing/caring about the rest of the state.
I've noticed that a lot of the Houston and Dallas haters are former UT/St.Edwards/ACC students that came from the burbs of both cities and never left their burb explore the city.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:54 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,173,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
Spot on, there has been several experiences where I ran into people that think Austin is "the oasis" of Texas and the rest is just flat, dusty, tumbleweed type of scenery. The lack of education baffles me.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Spot on, there has been several experiences where I ran into people that think Austin is "the oasis" of Texas and the rest is just flat, dusty, tumbleweed type of scenery. The lack of education baffles me.
That's stupid thinking I agree. I love Austin but how could anyone even think the amenities are anywhere near the same as Houston or Dallas?

Old 03-17-2015, 11:41 AM

420 posts, read 707,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_hippie View Post
I remember when North Korea was going to bomb LA, DC and Austin. Many of us were ok with that as long as they would throw in Chicago, NYC and San Francisco too. Then maybe we could get the train back on the rails.

North Korea Unveils Plan to Bomb LA, DC and… Austin, Texas | The Gateway Pundit

Wow. I'm really hoping this is a poor attempt at you trying to be funny and that you wouldn't actually be okay with 10s of millions of Americans dying from another country's bombs just to ensure your side's guys have an easier path in election years.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's stupid thinking I agree. I love Austin but how could anyone even think the amenities are anywhere near the same as Houston or Dallas?
San Antonio, as well as El Paso has the same outdoor amenities as Austin. Houston, Corpus Christi, RGV has coastal amenities that inland Texas cities doesn't have. DFW has recreation amenities as well. Radiolibre I love Austin as well but I know there is alot that you can do in other places across Texas.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:22 PM

Now if we are talking about amenities such as great shopping, museums, fine dining, ect... then Dallas and Houston blows out Austin in that department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas