Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 21,149 times

Advertisements

Our family of 3 is being relocated to Ft Hood. Unfortunately we are going to have to wait for on base housing. While searching for temporary apartments I'm finding the surrounding towns a concern for raising a 2 yr old little girl. I've examined Killeen (crime) & Temple (a little expensive) and then decided to ask y'all for some expert advice. Obviously a major concern is recreation and good neighborhoods for our daughter to play in. I also have to take into account that I could be deployed overseas leaving my husband & daughter behind for a bit. This may make things tight for a bit depending on job opportunities for my husband. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 07:22 AM

364 posts, read 1,420,694 times
I live in Temple and worked on Ft. Hood at the main hospital (Darnall ACH) for two years. I learned a lot about Killeen, mainly that I don't like to go there. It is not the pit of evil, just very transient. Few people put down roots there due to the nature of military life. Lots of 18-20 yo. kids get put there and are bored and get into trouble. Copperas Cove is not much better. I would consider Harker Heights, but Temple or Belton would be my first choice. Living here is no more expensive than anywhere else. We actually have lots of military families here. It used to take me 30 minutes to get on base from my house in south Temple. 190 is a good road with good traffic flow.

We (Temple/Belton) have lots of good neighborhoods, churches, and schools. There are many job opportunities for almost any level of work. Our church (First Baptist in Belton) has great military support. I have lots of friends who are active duty and we do a lot for the families.

Give Temple/Belton a try. We've been here since 1997 and are building a house because we don't want to move.

Best of luck.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 21,137 times
Default Think about copperas Cove

I retired from the military at fort hood and know all the surrounding communits very well. My recommendation for the kids is Copperas Cove. Crime is extremely low. Great parks and the absolute best school system in Central Texas.

Temple has a lot to offer, drugs and one of the poorest schools next to Kileen. There are a lot of gangs in both. Copperas Cove has a Zero tollerance program - when you walk into the high school just look at the dress and the way the kids act - then go to Killeen or Temple. Belton is a good school district but they do have a small drug problem. Housing is new and affordable in Copperas Cove and there is easy access to Fort Hood. If you need any help let me know.

Sergeant Major, U. S. Army

Old 07-18-2007, 08:31 PM

28 posts, read 147,623 times
temple has alot to offer as well as being close to several cities all within at least 1 hour driving distance.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:41 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
i have an opportunity to work at Ft Hood (at Darnall) and still torn between that and a panhandle job (Amarillo). if i take the Ft Hood job, i would want to live in Lampasas, Kempner, Gatesville, and "maybe" the Cove.........definitely not Killeen. not country enough for me, and too much riff raff....
hope you get post housing quick. cant believe there is a waiting list, i thought they had built a whole bunch more new post housing!!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 18,898 times
I wil be moving to Copperas Cove in April! I ran into the same problems that you are facing trying to find an area to raise a 3 yr old. I ended up taking a trip out there to see what I wanted and I found something in a nice quiet neighborhood that is a circle street and all my neighbors where very nice and half of them have children around my daughters age. The best thing for you to do is go and check it out for yourself. I was going to move on post but I found out that they don't pay any amennities but they would take my whole BAH! It just doesn't make since seeing that BAH is supposed to cover rent and amennities! Good Luck it took me 2 months to find a good home! and remember that there is crime all over the world no matter where you go.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:42 AM

i beg to differ with RSTX re Copperas Cove-i live here and feel VERY VERY safe as a single woman. i live on the very western edge-just seconds from the Kempner/Lampasas County line-quite rural actually.
i dont even have to travel on 190 to post. i take the Tank Destroyer gate onto post. almost no traffic.
i love it here. btw Copperas Cove has an excellent responsive police dept. they even sent me a letter in the mail that the patrolman had noticed i left my garage door open all nite and wanted to warn me that it was a crime hazard!!!
i wont buy in Cove, i am a country girl and love Gatesville, but for now, it's a perfect place to rent for a while.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 24,353 times
Question Airports near For Hood Tx

Does anyone know of any airports near fort hood Texas? My Fiance is getting stationed there at the base and gets a pass to come home and im trying to find an airport or airline to fly him in and out of. If you could help me that would be great!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:46 PM

Yup right here! we got a beautiful clean small convenient airport called Killeen Ft Hood Regional Airport adjacent to Robert Gray Army Air Field. serviced my all your local carriers (regional jets) so you would fly out of the bigger hubs in a commuter jet. great airport. love it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richellelynn2004 View Post
Does anyone know of any airports near fort hood Texas? My Fiance is getting stationed there at the base and gets a pass to come home and im trying to find an airport or airline to fly him in and out of. If you could help me that would be great!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:32 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,483 times
How about living somewhere close to Lake Belton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas