Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 09:50 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I wouldn't say the accents are fake but I do think some guys in Texas over do it. I just can't believe a young guy can sound like an older middle aged southern retiree. The whole dressing, acting and settling down in your 20s, and acting like your 40s, always seemed overdone in Texas. Why are young people so quick to want that level of responsibility in your early 20s? Why do they want to look, sound, and act just like their dads or the gals look, sound like their moms?
I never understood that. I'm thinking about heading down that road soon in my mid 30s but these guys and girls want to play house so darn early. They break their backs for the house, the truck, the stay at home wife, the 2.5 kids and the one acre of land. Why can't they just be a little more patient and work their way up to that?

So yes, I'm with both Kathryn and Ogend. The accents aren't fake but the whole culture of creating this image that your the last bastion of everything right with America is a Texan stereotype. Like Nigel Tufnel did in Spinal Tap all the bravado is pumped up to 11.
Ive lived in texas since 92 so most of my life. Rarely do I see young people marrying. My SO is from the midwest. The number of post high school and college weddings ive been to I cant count. His whole family had kids in their twenties.

Its a city vs rural issue. Texas has lots of large cities - people there tend to make better decisions .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas