Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 11:58 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,655 times

Advertisements

I've come up on a little bit of a life choice and am weighing my options.

Texas is one of the states I'm considering moving to if I leave my Arizona town.

I'm a white, male, 6'4 tall college graduate, politically conservative, unmarried, childless and lots of flexible income.

I have family in North Texas and East Texas. An uncle in McKinney and a cousin in Marshall. I've visited both areas extensively over the years and have traveled the state extensively. My uncle in McKinney is eventually going to move to southeastern Oklahoma. I'd prefer to be near family. But in an area with good jobs.

The Dallas/Fort Worth Metro is growing too quickly for me. What I'd prefer is a rural/suburban town, close to possibly an East Texas city. Needless to say I grew up on King of the Hill, so part of me hoped for an "Arlen", but there's possibly hundreds of Arlens in Texas.

Could anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 03:49 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,199,645 times
If you think Dallas /Fort Worth is growing too fast, you won't be happy with Austin. Austin is growing at a rapid rate and the roads can't keep up with the amount of people moving here. Traffic is horrible . Unless you live close to your job. But you also haven't said what your job is in.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:19 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,218,444 times
What about Tyler?

Old 10-16-2019, 07:59 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,178,617 times
If you need a well paying job then your options are limited, commuting twice every day takes away charm of rural living. You are young and carefree, rent in an area you like, find a job and see if you can settle there. If not then try another one, after some experience, you’ll know what works best. Having family and friends nearby is a blessing, makes life easier.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:10 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Find a job first and then decide where to live. Your career options in a rural community will be very limited, and as the previous poster said, long commutes take the charm out of rural living.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:57 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,055,793 times
Everyone is moving to TX. Thats all you see in these chats

Old 10-16-2019, 10:07 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
If you think Dallas /Fort Worth is growing too fast, you won't be happy with Austin. Austin is growing at a rapid rate and the roads can't keep up with the amount of people moving here. Traffic is horrible . Unless you live close to your job. But you also haven't said what your job is in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
What about Tyler?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
If you need a well paying job then your options are limited, commuting twice every day takes away charm of rural living. You are young and carefree, rent in an area you like, find a job and see if you can settle there. If not then try another one, after some experience, you’ll know what works best. Having family and friends nearby is a blessing, makes life easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Find a job first and then decide where to live. Your career options in a rural community will be very limited, and as the previous poster said, long commutes take the charm out of rural living.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
Everyone is moving to TX. Thats all you see in these chats
Yes, it's just something I'm thinking about. I have experience not only working in an office/corporate environment but also in mining and heavy equipment. So that has really expanded my work experience.

Tyler was alright, but I never did get to see too much of it.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:50 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,088,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Yes, it's just something I'm thinking about. I have experience not only working in an office/corporate environment but also in mining and heavy equipment. So that has really expanded my work experience.

Tyler was alright, but I never did get to see too much of it.
Tyler is MORE than alright, IMHO, lol. Look at my countless posts over the last 10 years on City-Data. Also, right in between, McKinney and Marshall, almost in the middle no less, and when your family member moves to Southeast Oklahoma, two-plus hours to Broken Bow, Oklahoma in S.E. Ok. many people from this area go camping and a "funning", not politically correct term I just made up, lol, in that part of the state.

No seriously, as pointed out, what type of job would you need, jobs are not overly plentiful in Tyler as compared to the mega booming areas of Texas. Tyler, restricts growth, on purpose. Anyway, I've tried to help many over the years on information about Tyler, it's one of my hobbies, yeah, as pointed out often, others have stated you "really Don't have much of a life, do you". Okay, could be, could be, but that too is not Tyler's fault by lack of something to do here. Which I stated, way more stuff to get into in Tyler than most places our size.

I'm a single old man in Tyler, so ask me anything you would like, not very versed in where is the best current place to meet that eternal soul mate. lol

Gee, I just looked it up, there is such a word as funning, yeah, that's right, for example, I was just funning you. Oh, well and I thought I was creative. Not.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
What sort of job are you looking for? That's first and foremost to me.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:08 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Texas doesn’t have much mining at all. Heavy equipment is more plentiful. But you’re still not going to find many corporate offices in rural areas or small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas