Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 04:35 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Please understand that a large part of the rental market there is targeted toward students, and maintaining things to adult standards of upkeep may not be a priority for many landlords.
Exactly. That’s always a problem in a college town. If the attic really has no insulation in it, be prepared for horribly high electric bills this summer. If you think it’s been hot already, you haven’t seen anything yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 11:04 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Exactly. That’s always a problem in a college town. If the attic really has no insulation in it, be prepared for horribly high electric bills this summer. If you think it’s been hot already, you haven’t seen anything yet.
Yes, have your pocketbook ready. Or, if your lease allows, move to a different unit at the south end of College Station or NE Bryan, where students will be a lesser factor in the market, and the odds of having a nicer unit are better.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:40 AM

12 posts, read 7,094 times
We bought a new construction house!! It is in a new little development called Northcrest Cottages It is off of Finfeather and Bittle, a little past Cottage Grove if you are familiar. So excited! They have not laid the foundation yet, but the builder, BlackRock, says they will start next week and that it will be done by mid November.
I am quite surprised to be able to say that so far July has not been too hard on me. The only thing that has changed is the amount of time I spend taking my dogs to parks or on walks. I go early and that's it for the day The rest of their outside time is spent for brief periods in the back yard. I have not been able to find a part time office job. I wish to only work 5-6 hours per day as to not leave my dogs home alone longer than that. They are very spoiled and my make has separation anxiety as it is from me. Also he went deaf not too long ago and has experienced some type of choking /collapsing episode that the vet can only conclude at this time that was a mild seizure. Meds not required at this time, but just keep an eye on him. But if anyone has a lead to a part time office job I have many years experience.
Heidi

Old 07-25-2020, 08:43 AM

We bought a new construction home but it wont be ready until mid November, so unfortunately we are stuck with the summer electric bills!

Old 07-25-2020, 08:47 AM

I am not sure if this forum links all the posts, but I replied an update that we bought a new construction home but it wont be ready until mid November so unfortunately we are stuck with the summer electric bills. The owner offered if we did the labor she would pay for the materials to blow in insulation. But its too hot now and my husband honestly has never done that. And we both have lower back issues. We got a quote but quite expensive. So we figured either spend the money on fixing it for future tenants to not suffer or just pay the summer hike.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:49 AM

Yes, so we have learned. Mid November and we will be in our fresh new construction up to code first time owning a home!! Cant wait!!

Old 07-25-2020, 08:51 AM

Ok, I think I just realized how to address all replies in one post. Sorry for all the separate ones. LOL!!! I will try to do better! Haha!

Old 07-25-2020, 12:13 PM

117 posts, read 80,894 times
Great post and info. We're moving from San Diego also to San Antonio. I know it will be a little shocking for my wife and kids, the weather, the pace. We're coming out for a visit a week from today. I've seen some TX in my days of travel, but not my family. I also grew up in Denver and have been in SD since 1997.
Scary traveling during this mess, just going to be extra careful. So yeah, a few more Californians headed your way

Old 07-25-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDaver View Post
Great post and info. We're moving from San Diego also to San Antonio. I know it will be a little shocking for my wife and kids, the weather, the pace. We're coming out for a visit a week from today. I've seen some TX in my days of travel, but not my family. I also grew up in Denver and have been in SD since 1997.
Scary traveling during this mess, just going to be extra careful. So yeah, a few more Californians headed your way
Nice. What part of SD? We were in Linda Vista for 8 years. Definitely do not miss the homeless population (Im talking about the ones on drugs and alcohol which were most, sadly). Don't miss the traffic. Don't miss the outrageous rent. Our mortgage for our new 3/2, 2 car garage, front and big back yard will be $200 less than we were paying for a tiny one bedroom (no pride of ownership for the complex, just turn n burn)in Linda Vista. Common area a mess with the property manager and her brother allowing their dogs to run loose and poop and pee everywhere, never picking it up unless complained about it. (SMH)
I feel the trade for a few months of hot sticky weather is far worth it. Love the pace. Bryan is a smallish town and we being 51, have no problem with the slower pace. The people are kind and helpful here and we haven't even been able to experience that to the fullest yet because of COVID.
Enjoy your visit. I hope you and your family enjoy it despite wearing masks and not being able to get a firm hand shake. LOL!
Are you moving for work?

Old 07-25-2020, 01:11 PM

117 posts, read 80,894 times
We live in Lemon Grove. Bought a house in 98 but the neighborhood just never moved towards gentrification. The opposite.
Not like some of the other neighborhoods, North Park, Adams ave area, Hillcrest, ect.
Yes, the homeless problem is just completely out of control. Hepatitis outbreak downtown last year in the tent cities.
No, not moving for work. Moving for financial and business reasons. Want a better life for my family.
Tired of the helicopters flying weekly looking for suspects, sirens, shootings, homelessness, neighbors, and spending way too much money to live in SoCal. We hardly ever go to the beach, we do more camping because that's the only family vacation we can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas