Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2020, 01:22 PM

9,875 posts, read 6,583,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
So why not move to Texas and vote red? Texas is way more conservative than New Jersey, that's for sure.
Because if you move to a state for the purpose of moving somewhere more conservative, Texas wouldn’t be your best bet for the future. There’s Alabama. And if you don’t want that southern culture, you can always go to the Midwest. Perhaps Montana or North Dakota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 04:05 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Because if you move to a state for the purpose of moving somewhere more conservative, Texas wouldn’t be your best bet for the future. There’s Alabama. And if you don’t want that southern culture, you can always go to the Midwest. Perhaps Montana or North Dakota.
Maybe they find it more important to help keep the state red rather than move to an established conservative state with less electoral votes

Old 06-08-2020, 05:58 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
So why not move to Texas and vote red? Texas is way more conservative than New Jersey, that's for sure.

I would do just that if I were to be a Texas resident.
Almost any state is more conservative than NJ. lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post

For the future - exactly! Sad to see this trend happening in Texas. I'm trying to get away from the cold, so the southern areas of the USA that fit would be in play. I wonder if Oklahoma or Arkansas would work other than the tornado's. I'm considering the northern half of Florida although that state isn't as RED though the governor there is doing a great job overall IMO. Wherever I go I still have to work.

Quote:
Maybe they find it more important to help keep the state red rather than move to an established conservative state with less electoral votes

As I responded to you earlier I would do that (in any state I wind up in) but as a lifelong 58 year old male in NJ know what liberals are capable do to a state and don't want to possibly witness the same birth of the same someplace else. In NJ the governor ran on raising taxes and won! Heck, I can't even defend myself as the 2nd amendment in NJ is practically non-existent and we're still are in a state of emergency as the governor here last week extended it another 30 days! I don't want to live in a state that a governor would stop me from earning a living like many here in NJ - there are multitudes of business owners begging the governor to allow them to open only to receive a resounding NO you can't and many of those will lose their businesses forever if it goes on for much longer.

Just wanted to give you an idea on why I'm pretty steadfast on a RED run state.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:38 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
[color=Blue]
For the future - exactly! Sad to see this trend happening in Texas. I'm trying to get away from the cold, so the southern areas of the USA that fit would be in play. I wonder if Oklahoma or Arkansas would work other than the tornado's. I'm considering the northern half of Florida although that state isn't as RED though the governor there is doing a great job overall IMO. Wherever I go I still have to work.
I dont know that its sad. I dont think Texas' future is to be like California or New York, rather I think Texas will be light red to purple. Greg Abbott is genuinely popular, Dan Patrick and Ken Paxton are not. I could easily see them losing to democrats but not Abbott.

What will happen is that the metro areas will get more solidly blue. The rest of the state will be as red as ever.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:26 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,516 times
Whether or not Texas turns blue this year or in the short future has yet to be seen. However Texas has begun the shift from constantly being solid red historically to blue and can be better described now as purple. As long as young voters and minorities (Hispanic, African American, Asian etc) come out in force and vote and continue to do so in the future, we may very well see a blue state much sooner rather then later. Hopefully intimidation tactics and false "fake news" narratives are not going to be employed to discourage them from coming out to vote.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:19 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I dont know that its sad. I dont think Texas' future is to be like California or New York, rather I think Texas will be light red to purple. Greg Abbott is genuinely popular, Dan Patrick and Ken Paxton are not. I could easily see them losing to democrats but not Abbott.

What will happen is that the metro areas will get more solidly blue. The rest of the state will be as red as ever.
Blue voters could be somewhat hypocritical.

Washington State is blue but low tax.

I think western US politics (except California) are more libertarian than the east, whether blue or red.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:27 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Blue voters could be somewhat hypocritical.

Washington State is blue but low tax.

I think western US politics (except California) are more libertarian than the east, whether blue or red.
Washington and Oregon are not libertarian. Idaho and Nevada are, though.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:54 PM

9,875 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

The metro areas are the population centers of the state though. In the next 15 years or so it will be purple at best. But in the long term I can easily see Texas crossing over fully. Of course by then I’m sure the Republican Party will evolve.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:27 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
It’s going to come down to the suburbs. Democrats have no shot in the rural, small, or medium size cities like Lubbock and Amarillo. Republicans have no shot in the actual cities of Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and in the future, Fort Worth. They are trying their best to hold on to Tarrant county but it is going to be very tough. Fort Worth is likely already blue.

Collin, Denton, Fort Bend, and Williamson counties could be the counties that swing Texas either red, purple, or blue. I don’t know if we see that happen in 2020. But 2024 will be very interesting. The urban counties of Harris, Travis, Dallas, Bexar, El Paso, and maybe Tarrant are going to become even more blue each cycle. Fort Bend I think is blue from now on. The others could very well be toss ups in the very near future.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:16 AM

3,887 posts, read 2,199,041 times
[quote=Spade;58332852]It’s going to come down to the suburbs. Democrats have no shot in the rural, small, or medium size cities like Lubbock and Amarillo. Republicans have no shot in the actual cities of Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and in the future, Fort Worth. They are trying their best to hold on to Tarrant county but it is going to be very tough. Fort Worth is likely already blue.

Collin, Denton, Fort Bend, and Williamson counties could be the counties that swing Texas either red, purple, or blue. I don’t know if we see that happen in 2020. But 2024 will be very interesting. The urban counties of Harris, Travis, Dallas, Bexar, El Paso, and maybe Tarrant are going to become even more blue each cycle. Fort Bend I think is blue from now on. The others could very well be toss ups in the very near future.[/QUOTE
I can definitely see this happening. We hear often about red states becoming blue or bluer but are there blue states that have become red over time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas